Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bottom bracket assembly keeps loosening up?
Hey Guys,

Replaced my bottom bracket a couple month's ago from a english style to a sealed cartridge. My problem is that it keeps loosening up. The inside tightening nut, next to the chainrings, is the one that is coming loose. I have tightened the mess out of it at least 3 times now and it has loosened up again. Makes a sqeak on the down stroke. My bike has the front derailleur that is held by the inside tightening nut of the bottom bracket.

I followed the directions and put grease on the threads of the bottom bracket and assembled it and tightened, but still it comes loose within 15-20 miles.

I greased the crank bolts when I assembled and they would loosenen up within 5 miles, so after a couple of times of having to retighten and retighten, I wiped all the grease off and used blue locktite and waited the recommended dry time. This has seemed to work for them(cranks).

Do you think maybe, I need to get rid of the grease on the bottom bracket nuts and try a little blue locktite??
Frustrated,
PJ
I use teflon tape and grease when installing a bottom bracket, works well so far.
Are you sure you have the correct size? There are several different "standards" out there (= it is a mess!).
(09-25-2013, 09:55 PM)!TREK4ME! Wrote:  My bike has the front derailleur that is held by the inside tightening nut of the bottom bracket.
It sounds like you need an E-type sealed bottom bracket which is discontinued. Does your bottom bracket retain a 2.5 to 3mm thick plate which supports the FD? If so you need to re-install the old BB or get a new FD that mounts to the seat tube. This will move your chain line inwards by the thickness of the plate.
E-type bottom brackets have longer threads on the drive side to compensate for the thickness of the plate. I have this system on an older Specialized bike. Note posts 1 & 4.
Are you using a torque wrench to insure that you have everything torqued properly? I have not seen any loosening ever when things were torqued to spec.
Nigel
If he has an E-type bottom bracket there aren't enough threads to engage the frame properly. Maybe loctite.
Better to correct the issue IMO.
(09-26-2013, 03:52 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  I use teflon tape and grease when installing a bottom bracket, works well so far.
Are you sure you have the correct size? There are several different "standards" out there (= it is a mess!).

I'm not sure, seems to fit square with the frame and cranks. The bike shop I got it from measured my old one and gave me one that was way from the right one(one crank was way far away from right chainstay and the other side was hitting the chainstay). Took it back and he gave me the one that is installed now. Like I said, seems square to the chainstays and cranks(same measurements).
The left nut has a couple extra theads exposed from bottoming out on the frame and is the plastic type.
(09-27-2013, 12:45 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  If he has an E-type bottom bracket there aren't enough threads to engage the frame properly. Maybe loctite.
Better to correct the issue IMO.
So, that's what you call this thing... Yep, that's what I have, an E-type.
It had an english style BB cartridge, but it has some kind of seal that does not allow you to clean the inner bearing and regrease(or I couldn't figure out how to take it apart). That's why I chose to replace it with a sealed cartridge.
I'll take a better look at it...
Thanks
(09-26-2013, 11:47 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  Are you using a torque wrench to insure that you have everything torqued properly? I have not seen any loosening ever when things were torqued to spec.
Just tightened the mess out of it!!
Thanks
You need to get a new FD that mounts to the seat tube, or put the old BB back in. You have a minor risk of damaging the threads in your frame. You can get a FD cheap, or just remove the FD until you do.
(10-01-2013, 08:53 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  You need to get a new FD that mounts to the seat tube, or put the old BB back in. You have a minor risk of damaging the threads in your frame. You can get a FD cheap, or just remove the FD until you do.
The old BB had some rust on the inner bearing and was dry(no grease) which is why I decided to take a look at it(was sqeeking).
Can I purchase a new BB like the old one, somewhere??
Thanks
Never seen one for sale anywhere.

Possibly Related Threads...