Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Handmade Crankset
Some of you may remember my previous post about designing my own crankset (http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-4294.html).

After a little more designing and several months of sneaking machine time after work I have at last completed it. Initially I thought about a single pin design but found a way to make it a spider using a two-piece construction. The chainring is 40t for a 3/32 chain.

I haven't installed it yet so these are just part images right now. I'll have updates with performance, reactions, and the final designs as they come. I welcome you thoughts.

[attachment=4423]

[attachment=4424]

[attachment=4425]

[attachment=4426]

[attachment=4427]

[attachment=4428]

[attachment=4430]

[attachment=4429]

[attachment=4431]

[attachment=4432]

[attachment=4433]
(09-03-2013, 09:08 PM)capner2112 Wrote:  Some of you may remember my previous post about designing my own crankset (http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-4294.html).

After a little more designing and several months of sneaking machine time after work I have at last completed it. Initially I thought about a single pin design but found a way to make it a spider using a two-piece construction. The chainring is 40t for a 3/32 chain.

I haven't installed it yet so these are just part images right now. I'll have updates with performance, reactions, and the final designs as they come. I welcome you thoughts.

Hi mate can you splease send me that lovely looking crankset for me to try on one of my bling bikes. i promise to return it after a couple pf photos.
(09-05-2013, 02:59 PM)hcjg1 Wrote:  Hi mate can you splease send me that lovely looking crankset for me to try on one of my bling bikes. i promise to return it after a couple pf photos.

You send that to hcjg1 & it'll blind you in the sunlight when he's done with it.
(09-05-2013, 07:18 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  
(09-05-2013, 02:59 PM)hcjg1 Wrote:  Hi mate can you splease send me that lovely looking crankset for me to try on one of my bling bikes. i promise to return it after a couple pf photos.

You send that to hcjg1 & it'll blind you in the sunlight when he's done with it.

Haha! I checked out what you mean by blinding and yeah it probably would. If I had the equipment and time I'd do something cool like that. I just installed them and need to get the chain set up. I got to make my own crank puller if I ever want them off now.
(09-06-2013, 05:30 AM)capner2112 Wrote:  
(09-05-2013, 07:18 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  

Haha! I checked out what you mean by blinding and yeah it probably would. If I had the equipment and time I'd do something cool like that. I just installed them and need to get the chain set up. I got to make my own crank puller if I ever want them off now.

Hi just va little trick I learnt when you dont have a crank puller or the crank removing threads are damaged - remove the crank bolts and ride the bike around the block a couple of times, as the cranks come up to the top start to work you legs outwards as you stroke and you should feel the cranks start to work themselves off the b/b spindle. In the past I used to bang the cranks off with a hammer and chisel but always ended up damaging the asoft alloy but since I learnt this i dont do that anymore.
(09-07-2013, 07:59 AM)hcjg1 Wrote:  Hi just va little trick I learnt when you dont have a crank puller or the crank removing threads are damaged - remove the crank bolts and ride the bike around the block a couple of times, as the cranks come up to the top start to work you legs outwards as you stroke and you should feel the cranks start to work themselves off the b/b spindle. In the past I used to bang the cranks off with a hammer and chisel but always ended up damaging the asoft alloy but since I learnt this i dont do that anymore.

Interesting technique, should be worth a try when I need it.

I went to the bike shop today to get the chain set and they were pretty impressed. He even asked skeptically if I made the chainring also which blew him away. The balance on the arms is very nice when I spun it after initial installation.

Through testing the chainline out I discovered this:
- The rear hub wasn't reworked to be a fixed gear, probably just sticky from lack of use. So essentially it's a really cool single speed now
- The cog on the rear wheel was an 8s ground down to leave just the 17t sprocket which popped and snapped since the chain is 3/32"
- Therefore I've got a new single speed sprocket on order.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post