Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Sram Rival fd makin me crazy!
My Cervelo S5 has a rival groupo on it. When it works I love it! Have had it in the shop 3 times and still have problems. I have only had it a month! More often than not the when trying to go from the small ring to the large ring, it won't go.They put it on the stand and it works great! I try to tell em that it is under a load when it happens. They ride it around the parking lot and it does not happen! They think I am a blithering idiot! Yesterday it dropped the chain on a shift from the large to the small ring and took a gouge out of the carbon! I went from aggravation to PISSED in a matter of .10 seconds!

The shop I deal with is good people but this is really bad! Had them put a guard on the bike so as not to gouge the frame again but the damage is done!=( Have read on other forums that this seems to be common! Folks are changing out fd's for 6800 and work fine! Just bought the bike so don't really want to spend more on it at this point!=( May have to change the fd just to be done with it! Any other suggestions would be gladly accepted!
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Convert it to a fixie - then no derailleurs to worry about..... Smile
Nigel
(04-12-2014, 09:46 AM)fishboy316 Wrote:  My Cervelo S5 has a rival groupo on it. When it works I love it! Have had it in the shop 3 times and still have problems. I have only had it a month! More often than not the when trying to go from the small ring to the large ring, it won't go.They put it on the stand and it works great! I try to tell em that it is under a load when it happens. They ride it around the parking lot and it does not happen! They think I am a blithering idiot! Yesterday it dropped the chain on a shift from the large to the small ring and took a gouge out of the carbon! I went from aggravation to PISSED in a matter of .10 seconds!

The shop I deal with is good people but this is really bad! Had them put a guard on the bike so as not to gouge the frame again but the damage is done!=( Have read on other forums that this seems to be common! Folks are changing out fd's for 6800 and work fine! Just bought the bike so don't really want to spend more on it at this point!=( May have to change the fd just to be done with it! Any other suggestions would be gladly accepted!

welcome to the world of carbon, you are a bit far away for me to set it for you, but if you take a clear picture of your chip. I can help you fix it and maybe make a video to show you how to repair it.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(04-12-2014, 11:11 AM)painkiller Wrote:  
(04-12-2014, 09:46 AM)fishboy316 Wrote:  My Cervelo S5 has a rival groupo on it. When it works I love it! Have had it in the shop 3 times and still have problems. I have only had it a month! More often than not the when trying to go from the small ring to the large ring, it won't go.They put it on the stand and it works great! I try to tell em that it is under a load when it happens. They ride it around the parking lot and it does not happen! They think I am a blithering idiot! Yesterday it dropped the chain on a shift from the large to the small ring and took a gouge out of the carbon! I went from aggravation to PISSED in a matter of .10 seconds!

welcome to the world of carbon, you are a bit far away for me to set it for you, but if you take a clear picture of your chip. I can help you fix it and maybe make a video to show you how to repair it.

Hey painkiller! Thanks for your interest in helping. As you may imagine I was sick when I looked under the bike and saw whit chunks=( But as you can see the big stuff is behind the crank. The other one on the fork I did. Or they did when looking at it. I am going with I did, can't handle anymore pissed!LOL

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

If it works fine for them in the parking lot you may be shifting under too much load. The shift to the large ring (or any higher gear) should be done when your revs are getting too high, rather than when you want to go faster.
Well Bill, not the worst that I have seen, pics are not perfect but it looks more like color damage more that anything. small gouging of the carbon will not hurt anything in most cases. give me a couple days or so and I will make you a repair video with the techniques that I use. fairly simple but you will have to have some degree of skill and steady hand. On the plus side it is white, easier to match. In the meantime, take care of the problem that caused it. Try to find some paint to match and a small bottle of thinner like from a hobby store or you may have some @ home, any kind will do. you will need a lint free cloth or coffee filter (2nd choice). finest grade steel wool and a bottle of TurtleWax Polishing compound and clean cotton rags or terry cloth to finish with. If you are half blind like me you will want some magnifying glasses too. It is the same thing I do on a bike that you want to preserve the original paint as much as possible. After you see someone do it once you will see how easy it is. I will be back!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I really do thank you guys! I talked to my daughter and she has part of a ultegra 6700 group she pulled off of her ruby when she upgraded to dura ace. She is bringing what she has (which does include a fd) I may just change it out. May change whole group out! Don't know yet. Am also going to the bike shop to talk with the owner this week.

I have done some fiberglass work on the boat before. I should be able to get this down once I have seen it done. also did radomes on b52 bombers (Fiberglass). I am also half blind! I do have most of what you listed. Will get the rest. The good part is that for the most part the gouge is behind the crank. Will work that first as it is pretty well hidden so I can mess up a little. Then will work the exposed spot.

Cny-man, When it threw the chain I was putzin around in front of the house and not under any real load.Went from large to small ring. I have put a chain catcher on now and will go from there. I am going to ride it like this till my daughter comes in with the ultegra then make a decision.

Thanks again guys!
Bill

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

I was not talking about throwing the chain but rather your original complaint of shifting from small to large chainring, as I indicated in my post.
Hi guys, Thanks for all the help. I went to see the founder of bike doctor and he said that he would do the repair himself and dial in the fd. He has worked on bikes for at least 20 years. said if I don't like the rival they will put a shimano on for me but to let him try to dial it in.

The shop is really a good shop. They really do care about their customers. I like the folks working there also. Will be dropping it off on monday. He was very good to deal with and takes real good care of me. That's why I have bought from them.

Thanks again!
Bill
Pain killer I would still really like to see the vidieo on carbon repair!

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

"Pain killer I would still really like to see the vidieo on carbon repair!"
You will, I will try to do it by this weekend, been real busy this spring. Everybody wants bikes. I have to do the shoot in steps as the paint and or epoxy must dry before each step.
(04-17-2014, 06:23 AM)painkiller Wrote:  "Pain killer I would still really like to see the vidieo on carbon repair!"
You will, I will try to do it by this weekend, been real busy this spring. Everybody wants bikes. I have to do the shoot in steps as the paint and or epoxy must dry before each step.

Take your time bro! I understand busy! I cover 2 central offices for Verizon and one is a real busy one. I end up there every day bustin hump! then they through in some assorted other offices when others are on vaca and it makes for some real hectic days! Some days that's good some days that's bad!
Thanks again!
Bill

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Ok Bill, I will have to gab a bit to fill in where the video lacks. Sorry for the quality but could not go back once I started. I will make another to touch some other points and will describe here.
The chip in the video is about as big of a chip I would use the brush/dab technique. Due to the location and compound radius of the one on your fork I would spray instead of dab. You will tape and mask with every coat til filled. I will explain in next video. I would use the spray technique on your bottom bracket area too. Hang tight bro for now. This video however sad is step one with the brush technique.
it is a short version and you just keep repeating until level or slightly higher than the surrounding paint. spray or dab requires proper dry time between coats and much longer time before step 2 of sanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2bvKrtXHJY

As I stated on my example bike, worst case scenario for a match without making a custom paint due to the pearl with a Lavender under tone. But the goal was just to tone it down to look better that the chip
Happy Easter! Thanks for taking the time to do this. Coffee filter? Great idea! I am sure there will plenty of chips in my future!LOL Didn't realize these things were this fragile! Got out for a little today. Really love the bike!
Thanks again!
Bill

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course