Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Broken gear-shift cable stuck in Shimano ST M410
Hi! Newcomer here.

I am the proud owner of a KTM Ultra Fun Smile So far it has been nothing but joy, until recently the right-hand gear-shift cable decided to burst and detach from the gear-shift lever (Shimano ST M410) in the middle of a ride, part of the cable remaining inside...

The first pic below shows the large fraction of cable as I was able to retrieve. The second one zooms into the broken end.

[attachment=4411]

[attachment=4412]

The remaining part of the cable is still inside the Shimano ST M410 and I have not been able to get it out. In the two images below you can see the remaining part of the cable as seen when removing the covers of the ST M410. In the first pic one can see the round metal head of the cable, and in the second pic one can see random shitty metal threads.

[attachment=4413]

[attachment=4414]

I have tried inserting the new cable, hoping it would somehow push out the old one. Without luck. I also tried reaching the end of the cable with tweezers. No can do.

Any tips on how to get that piece of cable out and how to properly mount the new cable?

Thanks a bunch in advance!
O-ring/Dental picks work for me
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Ah! Thank you very much. I don't have anything similar lying around, will try to get similar tools and go for it.

Cheers!
(09-01-2013, 03:18 PM)Cesc Wrote:  Ah! Thank you very much. I don't have anything similar lying around, will try to get similar tools and go for it.

Cheers!

be sure and post back the results for us and good luck. If I knew where you were located I could help you find a pick
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I will surely keep you posted!

I am currently in Frankfurt (Germany).
Hey,

Sorry for the long delay, I was traveling and caught up in work the last weeks.

I tried again today with tweezers, long needles, etc. The mother trucker is sitting pretty stiff there... Sad The thing is that it is pretty deep in, so those curved hooks won't help, and I fear those with an angle might be inconvenient, in that once they reach the head of the cable I won't have any degree of freedom to wiggle around or try to pull it out. Crap Sad
Am I to gather that you have not purchased the picks? and are assuming that they just will not work so you do not want to buy them. Is this correct? Next option for non- believer. take shifter apart . Or where I come from. places like Autozone rent tools. call a place like that and ask if they have available to rent or borrow o-ring picks, then take your shifter with you and get it out and say thank you, and get on with your day.
If you choose to take the shifter apart further your chance of ruining it are probably high. Your call, its a 15 second job with the right pick
As an alternate to PK's suggestion, just air freight me the bike.
Nigel
Maybe you can take the shifter apart completely?or if you can't do that, buy a new shifter

Possibly Related Threads...