Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Gitane Defi Project
mega garage sale weekend in the hood, I have no idea why I bring this stuff home but here it is, another back burner project to fluff and buff or just flip. Gitane are known not to be real beautiful but very spartan instead. no fancy paint, vinyl graphics and no clearcoat. just good tubing lightweight frames and what ever parts were available during production. this comes in @ just under 24lbs
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I like it, the patina on the handlebar tape is cool. Is that a mirror on the end there? How old do you think it is?
I like the way you described as "patina". I think it is an early to mid 80's by color scheme it says 1985. For the heck of it I posted it on craigslist like I do sometimes on back burner projects like this and checked my email today and got a few hits, I could not believe the response. It will be going to a good home by the weekend. I wanted to post some more pics of parts that some may have never seen before that were common on older french bikes but not exclusive to.but now will have to post other web shots when I get some time.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Notibly the Maillard Helicomatic hub, here are some pics. easy to remove if you have the tool. Pliers or similar tools might take it off but would certainly damage the retaining ring. these freewheels just slip right on. the hub utilizes two size bearings and a more radical dish on one side it would be wise to use a heavier gauge spoke which may or may not help the prone broken spokes these hubs have been known for.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

02-14-2014, 06:17 PM
Last Post: cny-man