Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

1993 Schwinn "Freak'in Stein" Kinda cool!
ahh, the old 1993 Crisscross. Truly one of a kind. Picked a couple of these great riding and shifting bikes. They make awesome touring/commuters bikes. I think I will have some fun tricking these out. thought I would post a before shot, and for those whom have never seen a Suntour S-1 derailluer before. They really do work quite well but require the frames to be designed for the setup. whats cool about this bike is the fact you have Schwinn ( struggling) and Suntour ( struggling ) in world where Shimano kicked ass and never asked for names. This stands on its own as far as innovation and price compared to a lot of hybrids of the day or even today
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Man that is one weird handlebar. I'd get to confused figuring out where to grab it. :-) BTW all the handholds do not look good for me.
Never Give Up!!!
It's called a Trekking bar and it's popular in various places. Been thinking about getting one myself. More hand positions to relieve strain.
Craig Domingue - East Texas Hick
I like it
Have fun and just enjoy the ride
yea they rewrote the book a bit on this ride. instead of the 1 being the big cog in the rear it is the smallest cog and called 1H and the biggest cog is called 7L. the twist on the front deralleur works opposite than gripshifters as in you twist forward to climb to the next bigger ring, Talk about reprogramming the mind. I have the 20in. frame one for sale til I get to it, and the 22in. frame one is in the stand getting the Fluff and buff. I am putting on a front and rear rack painted dark cherry to match the bike paint color, some nice most terrain type tires, and a set of VO Hammered fenders to roud it out to a nice touring/commuter.
the is funky cool to ride and is geared nicely with the 50t up front. another nice feature is the rear derailleur will not get hit if the bike falls to that side. It shifts really well and looks unusual under the stay like that. The Suntour S-1 parts however are nearly non-existent to replace. But are built very well and should last for many years.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(07-16-2013, 05:48 PM)painkiller Wrote:  ahh, the old 1993 Crisscross. Truly one of a kind. Picked a couple of these great riding and shifting bikes. They make awesome touring/commuters bikes. I think I will have some fun tricking these out. thought I would post a before shot, and for those whom have never seen a Suntour S-1 derailluer before. They really do work quite well but require the frames to be designed for the setup. whats cool about this bike is the fact you have Schwinn ( struggling) and Suntour ( struggling ) in world where Shimano kicked ass and never asked for names. This stands on its own as far as innovation and price compared to a lot of hybrids of the day or even today

i've nevr seen a derailleur like this so thanks for showing it to us.
Glad I could show it Hc, really have enjoyed buzzing around on it. I will post pics of it when I am done with one all spruced up. A slight back burner project at the moment.
cool bike painkiller
Hi FredS here, as I can not get my old sign-on to work and have not had any luck at getting the password reset; I have started over with this sign-on.
Hey Painkiller- look familiar? CL ad.

[Image: 00S0S_92l9CMfWONr_600x450.jpg]

Your picture quality & marketing eye make a huge difference, the white bike looks like a POS in that pic.
(08-12-2013, 11:48 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  Hey Painkiller- look familiar? CL ad.

[Image: 00S0S_92l9CMfWONr_600x450.jpg]

Your picture quality & marketing eye make a huge difference, the white bike looks like a POS in that pic.
Thanks Jef, I would like to see it. You must have found this looking to see what else the Trek schwinn poster had in his area Huh?. I find Schwinn a tough sale ever since they went walmart. I usually do not even look for used Schwinn's and Mongoose because of the stigma they now have. The price is not to bad, I paid $120 each for mine. I sold one for $200 after a complete go thru and Fluff and buff. which i spent roughly 8hrs on. I plan on keeping the 22in. frame one for awhile for myself. When I do sell it I will be in the $300 range more than likely.I will have to comb the area now and see if I could bring back 4 or 5 bikes to make it worth my while for the trip. I try to keep closer than the 400 miles this run would be. I like the bike though. The guy cannot describe it correctly (12 speed?). I do need a better camera myself. to get the best dollar for a used bike they have to be clean, perfect working order, and needing nothing. I like to sell good bikes because I want to be their mechanic too, for a long time.
Your camera does a good job. just imagine that Scwinn with the seat raised a couple of inches, the bars set to match the stem angle, like yours. The tires look a little thrashed in the pic too.
I noticed that in my opinion, all of the bikes I checked from that area were overpriced IMO.
Most CListers just sell a bike usually not in very good condition and try to get premium dollar.Rule #1 for me is "fluff and buff" to 95%+ perfect. Bikes that meet that, I price "Fairly High" not "Un-fairly high".
I do not twist anybody"s arm, Most of the bikes I sell are premium examples of what they are. I would rather keep them than just give them away, I have sold bikes before and seen them gutted like a deer on opening day ending up on Ebay just for the almighty dollar. I build bikes to bring back the retro cool and revive the ride. I have never sold anything on ebay as of this writing. But if I am using Nos or A grade vintage parts the price will reflect those parts no matter what the bike is. Or keep looking, if you want that bike in pristine condition you will not build it any cheaper anyways.
here is one for you jef, The rat univega alpina build Paid $60.
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-4822.html
This is an average Craigslist ad for me. Sit down for the price. I would rather have a bike like this than any new bike in this price range. the profit if I sell this bike is hardly anything, but that is the reality of using top notch NOS parts in stead of skimping or down grading a retro ride.
http://peoria.craigslist.org/bik/4001745130.html
You may remember this one too. It was rat, I think I paid about $100
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-4728.html
http://peoria.craigslist.org/bik/4001740542.html
Nice bikes PK, although I am not your target buyer.....Could not afford them..Hope bizz is good for you.
Never Give Up!!!
(08-14-2013, 04:51 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Nice bikes PK, although I am not your target buyer.....Could not afford them..Hope bizz is good for you.
They are not knocking my door down by any means George, Thats why I build them for me. But I advertise service and restoration so I always have to have premium examples around for people to see what their old dust collectors can turn out like. When I sell a bike I want to sell service also not just see ya later. I love those two bikes and really do not want or have to sell them. I flood CL with bikes that people put 2 and 2 together and end up having to contact me just to see what I have going on with bikes and I end up with one sold or a couple to work on. It is just more or less a hobby for me anymore.standards have to be set high
Yeh, for sure there are some great vintage bikes with great frames if one takes the time to do some research. Restoring them is definitely worth it. I agree they are nicer than most current bikes with current trendy equipment and graphics but lousy frames. You can always change the equipment, but the frame stays.

Here in California with year round riding prices are higher for the upper end models, if you can find one. Love to find a Panasonic "Team America" could not afford the Paramount's. Mostly see low end bikes on CL.......The 85 Fuji Del Rey I got was an eye opener. Love to ride it, so lively and just begs to go fast. Reversing the handlebar and cutting it turned out to be very comfortable more so than the straight bar with horns on the 91 Schwinn Aluminum MB I have.:-)
Never Give Up!!!
I know what ya mean George, If i hear about a team America i will let you know. I think it will be a tough one to find.Sooner or later one may pop up. You never know
10-4 , especially if you find one in a dumpster.:-)))
Never Give Up!!!
(08-16-2013, 08:41 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  10-4 , especially if you find one in a dumpster.:-)))
that would be cool !. I would hook you up. If its out there George, I will find it. I have my feelers out already. But give me a clue to the approx. frame size you would want.I found two already, but a day late and a dollar short my friend. That bike is probably one of the best they ever made. I take it as a challenge. one like this right?
http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/1986-panasonic-team-america-4947
Yeh thats the one. Team Europe was the top of the line, Team America was number two, The DX 4000 and above were good also. I ride a 53cm (21") as can be seen in the Fuji photo.
When the time is right and the price I'd like to get one. Nothing like a second childhood........My Fuji is about the 4000DX level.
Do not know much about the best years , and how much a Team bike weighs.
Should not say too much as now everyone will want one. :-)

http://panasonicbikemuseum.info/
Never Give Up!!!