Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Newbie needing help/guidance Trek 820
looks like a Sunrace freewheel to me.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
So the freewheel nfmisso linked will work and a FR-5 tool is the correct one to remove the old one? If so I think after a day of searching I can finally order everything needed to get this bike on the trails.
classic freewheel - FR1 tool should remove.
Nigel
Last question and Ill order everything would this shimano freewheel also work, its only a few dollars more and I think I would rather have it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-7-SPEED-MF-HG37-13-28T-SILVER-BICYCLE-FREEWHEEL-/200933990040?pt=US_Cassettes_Freewheels_Cogs&hash=item2ec8995e98
yes; but be warned the last two Shimano freewheels I purchased had spacing problems. no more Shimano freewheels or cassettes for me; Sun race DNP and SRAM have all been good.
Nigel
Thanks for that heads-up I will go with the one you linked to then. I really appreciate all of your time, I would have spent around $100 for a lot of stuff that I couldn't even use on the mamba bike. I Will do an update after I get everything done.
I would go with the sunrace, not a fan of low end Shimano cassettes or freewheels
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(06-23-2013, 07:58 PM)painkiller Wrote:  I would go with the sunrace, not a fan of low end Shimano cassettes or freewheels

I thought Sunrace Cassettes & freewheels were junk, like Falcon, but if you two like them there must be something to them. A SRAM cassette would be about the same price as the Shimano, but I'm not familiar with them.
nfmisso & painkiller know this stuff, so I'd consider their opinion pretty solid/wise.
Well I finally got the Mamba done and shes riding great. We were finally able to go on our first ride today for right at 9 miles.

I replaced the freewheel, chain, crank set, bottom bracket, both derailleurs, all cables, tires, tubes, added stop flats, grips, seat and added a seat bag. Im really happy how it turned out considering I didn't know anything about bike mechanics.

[Image: DSC02694.jpg]
http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj358/jakemilburn/Bikes/DSC02696.jpg

The only thing Ive done to the trek is replaced the grips, seat, added bar extenders and a seat bag.

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj358/jakemilburn/Bikes/DSC02697.jpg
[Image: DSC02698.jpg]
sounds like you are on your way!Wasn't so bad after all was it.
No way I would have ordered the correct parts or right tools for the job without you guys help, so a big thanks. The worst part was getting the RD dialed in just right the rest was fairly easy. I definitely have the confidence now to tear into another bike but Im always on a tight budget so I dont have much of a choice but to do all of my own work.

Next on the list is to order a few more tools as well as learn to true some wheels. At some point I want to build up an all chrome BMX bike, always wanted one as a kid and couldn't afford it.
(07-13-2013, 05:18 PM)shatteredsoul Wrote:  [Image: DSC02694.jpg]

[Image: DSC02698.jpg]

Looking GOOD !! Smile
Nigel
Thanks! I took my treks rear wheel off today to clean and re-grease everything and noticed a few of the ball bearings are pitted a little bit.

I decided to go ahead and rebuild the drivetrain on it as well. I ordered a cassette, crank set, both derailleurs, chain, V-brakes, brake levers, grip shifters and all new ball bearings. I still need to pick up a new set of pedals and a cable set and Ill be ready to put it all back together and dial it in.

I hope to have all of this done by the end of the week so we can actually try some light off-road riding. I know I will have more into the bike now than whats it worth but I really like the way it rides and its weight, it just fits me. At least I know everything that's been done to it and hopefully it will last me for years to come.
(07-14-2013, 08:25 PM)shatteredsoul Wrote:  Thanks! I took my treks rear wheel off today to clean and re-grease everything and noticed a few of the ball bearings are pitted a little bit.

I decided to go ahead and rebuild the drivetrain on it as well. I ordered a cassette, crank set, both derailleurs, chain, V-brakes, brake levers, grip shifters and all new ball bearings. I still need to pick up a new set of pedals and a cable set and Ill be ready to put it all back together and dial it in.

I hope to have all of this done by the end of the week so we can actually try some light off-road riding. I know I will have more into the bike now than whats it worth but I really like the way it rides and its weight, it just fits me. At least I know everything that's been done to it and hopefully it will last me for years to come.
thats the attitude ! For one thing, you do not have more in it than you are worthy of. you are worth much more ! just feeling of achievement and satisfaction alone is priceless. Now with your new set of skills go make those tools pay for themselves. One step at a time. I am proud of you for sure!
I got the Trek done last weekend but didn't get a chance to ride to do family visiting from out of town. Im hoping to go for a ride this weekend. From what little I rode around the yard the new V brakes made a huge difference compared to the old canti style brakes.

All the parts used were Shimano except the chain(KMC) and the brake cables(Bell). Im very happy how it turned out and Im hoping it will last for years to come.

[Image: DSC02699.jpg]
the bell cables are okay to use, stainless is a bit nicer. The housing on the other hand is not good for it has no inner lining. Just fyi thats all. glad you got her done ! good job. If you plan on working on more bikes in the future, buy bulk housing on the spool. big savings and good quality. bulk cables a lot more pricey because of the quantity but still some savings. but will have to work on a few bikes to make it worth your while.