Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Genesis V2100 crankset
(04-22-2013, 09:44 PM)01redsvt420 Wrote:  I want to upgrade the crankset on my Genesis V2100, I have searched everywhere and cant find out what size my bike has originally?Also would love some suggestions on affordable better than stock cranksets,in the $60-$100 range. Thanks!
Would also love a suggestion on a good quality bottom bracket so everything is fresh and new around my crank,thanks!

Are you sure you want to upgrade parts on the walmart department store bike which only costs $150 new? The reason why I discourage that is the bike isn't really worth any quality parts, especially when the bike has two fake shocks. Department store bike manufactures put the fake shocks because it's all about looks that appeal to the masses and it sells. If you read on the sticker on the bike, that bike is not meant to be taken off road at all. The fake shocks actually do more harm in slowing you down. You're better off riding with no shocks on pavement.

What I would suggest is you buy a quality used bike on craiglists, start researching on what's good and what's not, find out what you need to look out for when buying a used bike shop quality bike. If you ride payment, you are better off looking for steel chromoly bike with no shocks. Avoid bikes frames that are made completely of hi-ten steel ... I would suggest something in the early 1990s to late 1990s.

Just today I find on craiglist that looks in decent shape a Specialized Crossroads 1990s hybrid for $79( I did not bother picking it up since it's too big for one of my friends) with new tires even that is lightyears ahead of the Gensis V2100. Once you picked up a a used bike then sell your Gensis V2100. ..... but yeah definitely test ride used bikes and test out all the gears as well as brakes.... also look for chain stretch.. If you buy the bike from the right person who hasn't really used it .. than that's a plus.. and there are a lot of bikes out there that hasn't been used much that are quality bikes.

Just note, the bikes that seem to be priced well or a good deal tend to go fast on craiglist so you should reply to the post ASAP. Sometimes within the first 5 to 30mins you might have a chance. Fair priced bikes tend to take a little longer... but be careful shopping out there.

Anyway Most of the department store bikes you won't find much information on it or specs.

Just note sometimes you can find some nice finds on craigslist... one of my friends found a 1998 Trek 950 mountain bike near mint besides needs cleaning up and a few squirts in the shifters since the shifters were seizing up.. needs to be re-greased at a later point.. but he got it for $89 since the lady who sold it gave up on mountain biking and just stuck to road biking.

hope this helps
I'm the guy that buys a $200 car and then dumps $6,00 into it to make it something special. Same thing goes with my bikes,I like taking something simple and making it MINE. So getting another bike isn't an option,I would rather just invest a little here and there vs. a lot at once for a nice bike that I will STILL want to customize and make my own. So back to the question at hand,is there anyway to measure what size bottom bracket and crank that I have? Since I can't find anyone that seems to know what size it has stock. Or as long as I get a bottom bracket and crank the matches does it even matter if the size is a little different? Won't that just change my gear ratio a bit??
(04-23-2013, 09:11 AM)01redsvt420 Wrote:  I'm the guy that buys a $200 car and then dumps $6,00 into it to make it something special. Same thing goes with my bikes,I like taking something simple and making it MINE. So getting another bike isn't an option,I would rather just invest a little here and there vs. a lot at once for a nice bike that I will STILL want to customize and make my own. So back to the question at hand,is there anyway to measure what size bottom bracket and crank that I have? Since I can't find anyone that seems to know what size it has stock. Or as long as I get a bottom bracket and crank the matches does it even matter if the size is a little different? Won't that just change my gear ratio a bit??

I understand what you mean, but the difference is to be able to find something quality for very little money vs something that was designed as a disposable bike .

If you are open to being educated the difference between bike shop quality bikes vs bikes like Genesis V2100 and NeXT Climber. Let me know. I'm not going to debate you about this since you seem to have your mind made up.

I believe knowledge and education is the key

Just note, I'm not trying to sell you a more expensive bike, but would like to get you a better platform for the same amount of money for you to upgrade at a later time.
----------------

If you plan on replacing your bottom bracket and crankset .. why not just get a matching crankset and bottom bracket then you don't need to worry about what you have right now.

Question how many teeth does the big ring in the front have? Most of those kinds of bikes normally have a 48T since they normally would come with either a 6 speed or 7 speed freewheel which means the smallest teeth in the rear would be 13T/14 just to balance the gear ratios.

Another question, what do you do with your bike? Do you commute to work? go to school? do you ride off pavement and into the dirt? Do you ride in the rain often?
I agree with haykong, not worth it, but some people like to put $5000- of wheels on a Yugo......

That said; any crankset can be fitted, but the BB must match the crankset and the you may have to change the front derailleur. You will also have to change the chain and rear freewheel.
Nigel
Reviving an old post, I like the current frame of the V2100, its why I purchased it. Also, I am by no means a "serious" mtb'r and former dirt/vert rider, but being older now I generally ride in the city but dont care much for road bikes as sometimes I like to trail ride, so, that being said I do plan on upgrading everything on this frame, but not with any expensive components ofc.

My main question - Are there any decent BB/cranksets that will fit this frame...SRAM...anything other than the stock garbage, and yes I noticed that all hardware and components are junk.
I have seen other V2100 with upgraded shocks, front and rear so know thats not an issue, and ofc wheel set is basically a no brainer unless your a serious enthusiast.

Im assuming this would get me started, Shimano UN55 68 113 BB Square Taper Bottom Bracket?

Any and all information is gladly appreciated, Thank you.
(04-22-2013, 09:44 PM)01redsvt420 Wrote:  I want to upgrade the crankset on my Genesis V2100, I have searched everywhere and cant find out what size my bike has originally?Also would love some suggestions on affordable better than stock cranksets,in the $60-$100 range. Thanks!
Would also love a suggestion on a good quality bottom bracket so everything is fresh and new around my crank,thanks!
I just upgraded my genesis v2100 with a Sunlite SL-26 bottom bracket. Size 68mm×113mm worked perfectly. English style BB. Bought for $45 on Amazon.