Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

V Brakes - Cable problem
Hi,

Ive tightened my vbrakes successfully on two occasions by loosening the bolt holding the wire, pinching the brake pads on to the wheel and pulling the cable through to increase the tension before tightening the nut.

I need to do it once more, but when i squeeze the brake pads on to the wheel and pull the cable through, the rubber fitting by the noodle and between the calipers is being squashed very tight meaning the brakes cant pull tight enough to work.

I have the same problem on both back and front brakes. Have i dont something wrong when tightening them previously or is this a cable stretch problem?

Picture of problem here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19453539/CAM00073.jpg (Edit: this is with brakes applied)

Any help much appreciated!
it looks like your brake pads must be worn to sqeeze that far, or your pads on not installed correct. show some more pics of the pads from different angles
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(02-10-2013, 11:17 AM)painkiller Wrote:  it looks like your brake pads must be worn to sqeeze that far, or your pads on not installed correct. show some more pics of the pads from different angles

Hi,

Ive not had the bike that long and didnt think it might be the pads. But having checked, it obviously is the problem. Grooves well worn down . I dont know you buy a £400 bike and they stick crap peddles that need replacing after 2 months and brake pads that are made of paper.

Can you or anyone else recommend a decent set of pads?

Thanks.
Aztec and Koolstop are nice
http://www.xoduscycles.co.uk/brake-blocks/467-aztec-v-type-cartridge-system-brake-blocks-standard-charcoal.html

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kool-stop-thinline-threaded-pair-of-v-brake-blocks/
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I would check you rims for wear also.
The most impressive brakes I've tried are the Kool Stop Supra 2 in Salmon.
It is much more convenient to buy brakes with replaceable pads, but I am heavy & have never had good performance with them on a Cruiser/comfort/hybrid/MTB.

Possibly Related Threads...