Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Setback
Hi, I ride with my seat as far back as possible - jammed against end of rails. My present seatpost has a 1" setback and to get my weight more balanced I need at least 1 1/2" to 2". I would appreciate any suggestions regarding possible brands. I am now through with racing so I like to keep my purchases to the lowest possible price, don't care if it's made in Taiwan !!!! I'm cheap too.
What type of bicycle do you have? maybe a stem swap is in order
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I agree with painkiller. If you're that far back either your stem is way too short, or you're on a frame too small for you. Have you been sized properly. It's definitely worth the effort. You'll be more comfortable and at less risk for breaking something.
The frame is a custom built (Romic) 55 cm with a 57 cm top tube and 73 1/2 head and 72 seat. A 22 1/4" reach is just right for me and I find my most fluid and powerful position is back - that's why we designed the bike with a 72 degree seat angle. I use a 110 stem but when I go to 120 and bring the seat forward I lose comfort and power. I raced that way for twenty happy years, but now that I weigh a little (lot) more, I'm putting too much load on the back of the seat and it has jumped the stem teeth from time to time, that's why I need to get a setback post. I'm 5" 10"
(01-29-2013, 05:26 PM)limey Wrote:  The frame is a custom built (Romic) 55 cm with a 57 cm top tube and 73 1/2 head and 72 seat. A 22 1/4" reach is just right for me and I find my most fluid and powerful position is back - that's why we designed the bike with a 72 degree seat angle. I use a 110 stem but when I go to 120 and bring the seat forward I lose comfort and power. I raced that way for twenty happy years, but now that I weigh a little (lot) more, I'm putting too much load on the back of the seat and it has jumped the stem teeth from time to time, that's why I need to get a setback post. I'm 5" 10"

Well if it's worked for you that long, I don't know what to say. It just seems odd to have it so far back.
Appreciate the concern BDude, but the only reason that I posted is that I haven't bought a new seatpost in a long time and I was just trying to get a little input before buying. From what I have seen, I think that I'll have to go to the type that has a set in the post although I would prefer something that just moves the bracket back. Plus I don't have $100 plus to spend. Hope this clarifies and maybe you can help me. Thanks.