Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

I need a suggestion for buying a new front derailleur.
I own a '13 Trek 7.2 FX with this front derailleur and it never worked that well, so I want to upgrade it.

My choices for 8 speeds are pretty small, so is it possible to put a 9 speed front derailleur on a 8 speed chain and bike? Also, how do I know which version to put on a bike? I was thinking about getting a Shimano Deore if it's compatible, and there's this version and this version, and I don't really know the difference, so yeah.

If I have to choose an 8 speed, what would you suggest?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my crank is 48/38/28, if that matters. And also, I may decide to upgrade everything in the near future to 9 speed all deore, so that's why I want a nine speed.
All of the Shimano FD work well, yours needs a tune up or possibly it is damaged.

Personally I like the M413 which can be found on e-bay for a reasonable price.

One thing you have to watch out for is the seat post diameter; standard sizes are 28.6mm, 31.8mm and 34.9mm.

Another thing you have to watch out for is top or bottom pull; some FDs are only one or the other, and a few are both. The M413 are both.
Nigel
Alright. Is the M412 that much difference from the M413? Also, would it be possible to put a 9 speed derailleur on a 8 speed chain? Also, from what I've noticed and heard, that derailleur specifically had problems and with changing to a higher gear and the best thing to do is get a new one.

(01-30-2013, 12:26 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  All of the Shimano FD work well, yours needs a tune up or possibly it is damaged.

Personally I like the M413 which can be found on e-bay for a reasonable price.

One thing you have to watch out for is the seat post diameter; standard sizes are 28.6mm, 31.8mm and 34.9mm.

Another thing you have to watch out for is top or bottom pull; some FDs are only one or the other, and a few are both. The M413 are both.
The M412 is very different from the M413. I have one M412 and several M413. I get FDs intended for 34.9mm seat posts and use a shim (home made) to work with the 28.6mm seat post - see: http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-3167.html, especially the later pictures of the finished bike (which are above the airplane picture).
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...