Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

24 34 42 Chain Rings with 14-28 7speed Freewheel
So my bike has the above listed ring and freewheel set I'm looking for a bit more road friendly set of gears. I ride mostly hardpack walking trails and roads. Some gearing suggestions from the peanut gallery welcome here! Any combinations or multiple combinations accepted!
crankset on a budget:
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-M131-Crankset-170mm-48/dp/B003ZMDJW6/
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Crankset-FC-A050-170-Chainguard/dp/B002K2GR76/

and you can spend a LOT more. You may or may not need a new BB - I would try with your present one first.

And this freewheel:
http://www.amazon.com/SunRace-7-Speed-13-25t-Free-Wheel/dp/B003RLE9X8/
MUCH better than any Shimano freewheel I have owned.
Nigel
I didn't follow Nigels suggested links but, he is not known for steering people in the wrong direction. Lower tooth count at the rear will give you a higher (faster) gear ratio and will be less expensive than replacing a crankset or individual chainrings, maybe.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(09-03-2012, 11:10 AM)RobAR Wrote:  I didn't follow Nigels suggested links but, he is not known for steering people in the wrong direction. Lower tooth count at the rear will give you a higher (faster) gear ratio and will be less expensive than replacing a crankset or individual chainrings, maybe.

With a freewheel it is somewhat expensive to get less than 13 in the rear; plus chain and cog wear increases.

The freewheels with 11t small cogs are 2 to 3 times the prices and require a special tool for removal.
Nigel
I want to change the bottom bracket from a cup and cone type to a cartridge style. If I order a new crankset would I just match the original cup and cone dimensions or do I need to take into consideration the new crankset matching the bottom bracket spindle length. I know the bottom bracket will have to match as far as square taper, but will the original spindle length have to be altered to match the new crankset to keep the chain line?
Just measure your bottom bracket size from end to end in mm. Post your measurement here just to make sure before you order Smile .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
crank sets have recommended BB lengths - not always right for every application though.

I would strongly suggest that you purchase the new crankset, mount it on your current BB, see if it works okay, or you want to change the crankset position relative to the frame, measure what you have, and order a Shimano UN55 of the length that will work.

The M131 I suggested above, recommends 122.5 or 123mm BB; for my GT and my style of riding, a 115mm would work much better. Part of the BB choice is your style of riding - which combination of gears do you want to use the most. The 123mm BB with the M131 and 135mm OLD lets you use the smallest chainring with the smallest cog (8 speed); but the chain is overly bent with the middle chainring and next to largest cog at the back. I'll never use small to small, and would like to use the middle with all 8 cogs.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-17-2014, 08:37 AM
Last Post: fishboy316