Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Need New Rear MB Wheel
I've got a Gary fisher Paragon from 1995, still a great bike. I need a new rear wheel.
Gary Fisher Paragon 1995
I'd like to rebuild it a bit starting with the rear wheel, any suggestions? I can do the work myself but don't know about parts I might need.
Hi hengy. Welcome to BT!
I'm not sure what you're asking... is your rear wheel trashed and you need a replacement or, are you looking to rebuild the wheel?
The LX hub laced to a Bontrager BCX-2 rim was a schweet wheel and I would rebuild it if not trashed. Parts are still available for that hub.

Rob
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Really, so you think I should bring it in and have it rebuilt, maybe a new rim? keeping the same hub? It has a bit of a wobble in it and I'm a 190lb guy. Just figured it might be a bit worn out.

(08-25-2012, 08:26 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Hi hengy. Welcome to BT!
I'm not sure what you're asking... is your rear wheel trashed and you need a replacement or, are you looking to rebuild the wheel?
The LX hub laced to a Bontrager BCX-2 rim was a schweet wheel and I would rebuild it if not trashed. Parts are still available for that hub.

Rob
YES deore lx is the stuff in shimano hubs my friend and if rob likes then it is good stuff!!! Tongue
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Why do you want a new rim? Sounds like clean the bearings, new balls, new grease, and possibly a truing is in order.
Nigel
190 lbs is not heavy unless you are 4 feet tall. Smile Do you look like a beach-ball with little appendages here and there?? LOL
I'm 5'6" and 170 lbs and hard on my equipment. My two fave MTbikes are also from the '90s.
Without more details, we can't answer your question. Why do you think the rim needs replaced? Does it look like a taco shell? Any broken spokes? Braking surface worn thin?
As I said, unless that LX hub is just totally trashed, replacement cones and ball bearings (and even axles) are readily available. If the cups (pressed into the hub shell) are galled, go for a new wheel.

Just a side note - If my memory hasn't failed me, Bontrager BCX rims were manufactured and re-labled by Weinmann. BCX-2 was a double-walled rim equivalent to the venerable ZAC 19 which is still produced today.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Thanks guys, seems like sound advice. I think I'll just have it rebuilt. Needs a spoke and some trueing probably.

(08-26-2012, 10:03 AM)RobAR Wrote:  190 lbs is not heavy unless you are 4 feet tall. Smile Do you look like a beach-ball with little appendages here and there?? LOL
I'm 5'6" and 170 lbs and hard on my equipment. My two fave MTbikes are also from the '90s.
Without more details, we can't answer your question. Why do you think the rim needs replaced? Does it look like a taco shell? Any broken spokes? Braking surface worn thin?
As I said, unless that LX hub is just totally trashed, replacement cones and ball bearings (and even axles) are readily available. If the cups (pressed into the hub shell) are galled, go for a new wheel.

Just a side note - If my memory hasn't failed me, Bontrager BCX rims were manufactured and re-labled by Weinmann. BCX-2 was a double-walled rim equivalent to the venerable ZAC 19 which is still produced today.

Possibly Related Threads...