Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

A challenge
So I've got an obscure mix of parts which are an odd mixture of old and new the challenge is, does anyone out there know of a freehub which can solve all my problems - here goes!

What is currently on is an 8 spline campag freehub. The "hub" end (the bit that goes in the wheel) looks like this:

http://cdn.cyclingforums.com/8/8a/1000x500px-LL-8a0fb9e1_Campagnolo_Shimano_HG_Freehub_JensonUSA_80_10h.jpg

The "spline" end currently has 8 equally spaced splines.

http://branfordbike.com/merchant/1677/images/site/cbody1.jpg

What I want is a freehub with a rachet mechanism that is the same as before ie: still this

http://cdn.cyclingforums.com/8/8a/1000x500px-LL-8a0fb9e1_Campagnolo_Shimano_HG_Freehub_JensonUSA_80_10h.jpg

but that will go with a standard shimano cassette ie: splines like this:

http://cdn.cyclingforums.com/5/5c/265x265px-LS-5cba8594_457361334-hu408z13__________525.jpg

That is to say I need a freehub that will fit my old campagwheel but that has 9 splines one of which is shorter than the others so that a shimano HyperGlide cassette will fit on it.

What can you guys recommend? My budget is not vast so the other option is to find a cassette that will fit my old campag freehub. Again any suggestions?

Thanks In Advance

Dave
It depends on your hub. Sometimes you can transplant the freehub body if there's a compatible Shimano body out there. You might end up replacing the hub, though (or the entire wheel) if there's none. Some people managed to get a Shimano drive train work with Campa shifters (or the other way round), google is your friend there.
(07-11-2012, 04:10 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  It depends on your hub. Sometimes you can transplant the freehub body if there's a compatible Shimano body out there. You might end up replacing the hub, though (or the entire wheel) if there's none. Some people managed to get a Shimano drive train work with Campa shifters (or the other way round), google is your friend there.

The shifters aren't an issue, they're the glorious old-school continuous range with a lever just below the headset, just move the lever until it stops clicking!. It looks to me like so long as the "hub end" of the freewheel is the same as the one pictured (ie: with the rachet mechanism consisting of those small springs ) on the freehub, then the thing will fit nicely into the hub. I just need to know if I can find that end with the shimano spline spacing.
I've never seen a shimano freehub that looks like the picture you posted of the current freehub. So I don't know that you'll be able to swap it out. But it looks like 8 speed campag cassettes are available so you could just get that.
(07-11-2012, 04:36 AM)DaveM Wrote:  I've never seen a shimano freehub that looks like the picture you posted of the current freehub. So I don't know that you'll be able to swap it out. But it looks like 8 speed campag cassettes are available so you could just get that.

where?!
Google "campagnolo 8 speed cassette". Amazon has them as well as several bike shops. Not the cheapest, but better than a new hub/wheel.
(07-11-2012, 05:17 AM)DaveM Wrote:  Google "campagnolo 8 speed cassette". Amazon has them as well as several bike shops. Not the cheapest, but better than a new hub/wheel.

Hmm okay. This looks very promising but just to be certain I'd really love to see the spline pattern on the inside of that cassette.

Are you 100% certain that that cassette will have the equally spaced 8 spline pattern that I need?
(07-11-2012, 05:25 AM)stixmaster1 Wrote:  Are you 100% certain that that cassette will have the equally spaced 8 spline pattern that I need?

Sorry - no. I'm just going by your description of it being "8 speed campy". Maybe you should try to find a bike parts store that sells it online and that you can call to ask.

In fact, I jsut looked at the link you have in your other thread (http://branfordbike.com/articles/cassettes-and-cogs-pg60.htm) and it looks like you have the "original" 8 speed, not the "exa-drive". The cassettes I saw were all exa-drive, though I didn't search for anything specific. Proceed with caution.

If the cones are shot too, maybe you should jsut look at getting a new wheel with a more modern gear style. With friction shifters you can use anything and your only concern may be the axle width in the frame.
(07-11-2012, 10:08 AM)DaveM Wrote:  
(07-11-2012, 05:25 AM)stixmaster1 Wrote:  Are you 100% certain that that cassette will have the equally spaced 8 spline pattern that I need?

Sorry - no. I'm just going by your description of it being "8 speed campy". Maybe you should try to find a bike parts store that sells it online and that you can call to ask.

In fact, I jsut looked at the link you have in your other thread (http://branfordbike.com/articles/cassettes-and-cogs-pg60.htm) and it looks like you have the "original" 8 speed, not the "exa-drive". The cassettes I saw were all exa-drive, though I didn't search for anything specific. Proceed with caution.

If the cones are shot too, maybe you should jsut look at getting a new wheel with a more modern gear style. With friction shifters you can use anything and your only concern may be the axle width in the frame.

If you take a look at the originals and the exa-drive then anything that fits an original should fit an exa-drive (there'll be a small gap in one place where the splines aren't quite the right size but it will be a gap as opposed to it not actually going on. I think we're in the clear here.

Buying a new wheel is, by far the easiest option especially given the cone issues but I'm ACTUALLY doing this all for a mate and part of the remit is that this is a repair operation not a "build a new bike". He's happy to put new parts on but didn't really want to replace an entire wheel. It's arbitrary but that's what he wants and anyway that wouldn't be half the fun! One day I shall design and build a bike where ALL parts are standard. Everything is symmetric and can be undone using a 5mm allen key. It will be beautiful and useless.