Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

2012 Graftpro 27
Hey everyone, I just signed up today may 27. I am looking for advice on buying a Schwin Graft Pro 27 mountain bike from Canadian Tire. This bike is on sale for the next five days so I have to make up my mind as quickly as possible. I know the stories about CT and I don't want to dog them, they are what they are. I am 56 years old and I just need a bike to run to the store and also to tour around the area. Its really just for fun and to get a bit of exercise. I checked a few posts online and it seems that I need to spend close to 500 if I want to have full suspension and disk breaks. I have read that they make a cheaper version for CT then they do for the shops. So I am down to deciding between buying a better bike from a shop but with less features,or this bike from CT that has some nice features but I know its likely entry line quality. I am not sure if its aluminum or steal but otherwise I was thinking that I could upgrade parts as time goes by.
Any help on this would be very much appreciated as this is almost certainly the last bike I will ever buy.
TY RB
for half price if you think you like it go for it
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/BikesAccessories/BikesFullSuspension/PRD~0711034P/Schwinn+26-in+Graft+Pro+Full-Suspension+Bike.jsp?locale=en
I popped a link for others to look @
I know its just me, but I could not bring myself to buy from company's like schwin,mongoose, that have sold their soul and muddied their own reputation by offering bikes @ places like wal-mart. If a bike company really knows how to make a good product then they are well aware when they make garbage ! and to do it on purpose is where I draw the line on Brand loyalty
I am also not a big fan of entry level full=suspension bikes
I think in the long run for a novice you would do better with a front-suspension bike since it will be the last one you may ever buy
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(05-27-2012, 07:16 AM)painkiller Wrote:  for half price if you think you like it go for it
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/BikesAccessories/BikesFullSuspension/PRD~0711034P/Schwinn+26-in+Graft+Pro+Full-Suspension+Bike.jsp?locale=en
I popped a link for others to look @
I know its just me, but I could not bring myself to buy from company's like schwin,mongoose, that have sold their soul and muddied their own reputation by offering bikes @ places like wal-mart. If a bike company really knows how to make a good product then they are well aware when they make garbage ! and to do it on purpose is where I draw the line on Brand loyalty
I am also not a big fan of entry level full=suspension bikes
I think in the long run for a novice you would do better with a front-suspension bike since it will be the last one you may ever buy

OK thank you for the input. In keeping with what you said about knowingly making a cheap bike,I just read the rear spring adjustment has a false leaver to adjust the tension. You have to turn the ring which is fine but why put that short handle in there if its just for looks? It doesn't do anything but look pretty and makes you wonder what else is there "just for looks". The other thing I am not sure about is weather its a steel alloy or aluminum alloy? I need to know if I can upgrade parts in the future or are they propriety to Schwin?
My twopence worth, I don't believe for a second that that bicycle was ever $999.99.

In addition, no suspension is better than cheap, poor quality suspension, it only adds weight, complexity and cost. Spend a similar amount on a road, city or perhaps hybrid type bicycle, without suspension, and you will get a much better bicycle, which will be lighter, easier to maintain and likely better quality altogether.

It's difficult to choose a bicycle for someone else; you may be better going to a proper bicycle shop and asking their advice, or even better a keen cyclist friend or relative that can help you choose. And don't discount buying used, you could find something really nice for $500.00, but you will need to know what to look for to avoid buying a piece of junk; someone with some knowledge would be really helpful for that.

You might also have a read about the types of bicycles available here: http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3788
(05-27-2012, 07:17 PM)xerxes Wrote:  My twopence worth, I don't believe for a second that that bicycle was ever $999.99.

In addition, no suspension is better than cheap, poor quality suspension, it only adds weight, complexity and cost. Spend a similar amount on a road, city or perhaps hybrid type bicycle, without suspension, and you will get a much better bicycle, which will be lighter, easier to maintain and likely better quality altogether.

It's difficult to choose a bicycle for someone else; you may be better going to a proper bicycle shop and asking their advice, or even better a keen cyclist friend or relative that can help you choose. And don't discount buying used, you could find something really nice for $500.00, but you will need to know what to look for to avoid buying a piece of junk; someone with some knowledge would be really helpfull for that.

You might also have a read about the types of bicycles available here: http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3788

OK thank you I did dig through the link ,so much to consider here. My evil twin is telling me to buy the bike with all the cheap goodies and my angel side is telling me to buy the old style fifty's generation with the big wheels and the wide handle bars. It's a balance between walking into a shop with there low volume high overhead friendly staff,and CTire high volume MFG 's setting the price. You really can go a bit crazy trying to decide its almost as bad as buying a car. LOL
Yes, sorry to be so negative, it is a bit of a minefield for those new to cycling, especially now that the big super stores have started to sell bikes in a box. The staff generally aren't knowledgeable, unless you chance upon an employee that happens to also be a cyclist, otherwise you're likely to get someone that doesn't know any more than you do and will just as soon sell you a can of paint, or a set of garden furniture as a bicycle.

In addition, many of the very cheap bikes in a box, are quite poor quality, but to the untrained eye may look like much like more expensive bicycles sold elsewhere. Not that $499 is very cheap, it's just that I think you could get something better for the money if you go for something simpler, that on the surface might not look like such a good deal.

Also, it's worth keeping an eye out for last years models on sale, shops and on-line sellers often sell them at a discounted price to clear out stock for the new models. Other than a change of colour, there's often little difference between the current and last years model. I myself bought a last years model a while back for about a 30% saving.

Some more reading for you:

http://southcoastbikes.co.uk/articles.asp?article=NO_BSO

http://www.commutebybike.com/2007/03/30/commuting-101-bike-shaped-objects/

http://www.thecyclingexperts.co.uk/get-cycling/buying-a-bike/the-bicycle-shaped-object/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Last Post: orandaberg