Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

29ers tools
I am learning bicycle repair and have noticed that some tools I have do not fit so well with the 29ers, for example the chain whip, Trueing stand, etc. I am sure there are a few more that I haven't mentioned yet. Any suggestions as to where and If I really need additional tools to work on the 29ers.

Thank you in advance.
Amazon
Nigel
I don't really know why a chain whip shouldn't work as intended for a 29er...
Since I don't have experience with 29ers I can only guess. My guess is that, apart from the many different BB standards and the new axle types that can be found on any wheel size there should be no real issue. Fortunately a lot is more or less standardised, though eg. new head set or BB specs crop up every now and then...
I thought the only difference between 29ers and any other bicycle was the rims and spokes, hubs, cranks, chains, cassettes, brakes etc. are the same surely.
Stutt - this question really perplexes me! A 29'er has all of the same parts, tool wise, as a 26" MTB or any other. The only problem that I ran into with Gary's intro of 29'ers was that I couldn't slap a tired wheel into my truing stand. I had to remove the tire first. A 29" rim is basically a fat 700 road rim.
If you are having difficulty with a chain whip - the inexpensive ones (for 6 - 8 speed cassettes) can be a bear with 9, 10 or 11 spd drivetrains but it can be done.
Is there anything in particular that is frustrating you?
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
@RobAR: that sort of explains my problem with my chain whip... I'll replace the cheap chain with my last 10 speed road chain. Should be an easy fix. I was only able to seat the whip really well on the biggest sprocket last time I replaced the cassette. It did work in principle so I didn't think about it.
Also: when truing a wheel the only thing that should remain on it is the rim tape (so that no nipples go flying and take out an eye). Spokes should also be reasonably clean when tensioning using pitch instead of a tensiometer (though some dirt can show the amount a spoke rotates, really helpful).
(05-08-2012, 10:14 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Stutt - this question really perplexes me! A 29'er has all of the same parts, tool wise, as a 26" MTB or any other. The only problem that I ran into with Gary's intro of 29'ers was that I couldn't slap a tired wheel into my truing stand. I had to remove the tire first. A 29" rim is basically a fat 700 road rim.
If you are having difficulty with a chain whip - the inexpensive ones (for 6 - 8 speed cassettes) can be a bear with 9, 10 or 11 spd drivetrains but it can be done.
Is there anything in particular that is frustrating you?

Just had trouble keeping the chain whip on a 9 speed sprocket. It would stay on the larger sprocket and I didn't know if it was okay to attempt on a smaller sprocket without causing damage. Sounds like no additional or special tools are required for 29ers?