Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Assembling A Bike From Non-Specific Parts, From Scratch
Hi there.

I am trying to assemble a one-off, bespoke bike, to use as part of an electric conversion.

The frame, wheels, suspension, seat-post, head-set, stem, handle-bars, crown-race etc etc are not uniform. That is to say they are compatible items but not sourced from the same manufacturer or supplier.

Here are the main components I plan to use.

1. Saracen Pyro 24" Frame, 1.1/8th inch headset. 14" frame, 50cm reach, 28.6mm seatpost.

[Image: 140.jpg]

2. Zoom 24" Forks. 1 and 1/8th Steerer, 410mm Crown to Axle, 240mm Steerer. International-Standard fitting for brake disc. [Image: 140.jpg]

3. Basic QR BMX bike, 20" wheel with disc hub.

[Image: 170723292374_1.jpg]

Because this is for an electric bike, I won't be concerned about the bottom bracket. I won't be adding pedals.

Specifically, I am requesting help as to how to go about assembling these components into a feasible finished build.

What crown-race should I buy, and are there any "ghetto" tools I can use to fit the crown race? Ditto for the headset, what bearings should I buy, what head-set should I buy, and how do I fit it all, fit the star-nut and then fit the head-stem and cut the remaining head-tube??

I don't want to take this to the bike-shop. I had a bad experience where they charged me €80 for a rubbish job truing/lacing two wheels. Wasters.

The basic components, not including brakes, are going to set me back enough money so I want to do all the work myself, and I want to use as few expensive tools as possible, but I am happy to spend money where it is absolutely necessary.

Any purchases I make will be from chainreactioncycles.com as they are in Northern Ireland and I am in the Republic of Ireland.

Thanks very much for your time and your help.
Hi I really not good when it comes to electric bikes but maybe someone at this site can help you out. They custom build and share ideas..... http://www.atomiczombie.com/ . Good luck to you .

Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(12-05-2011, 03:05 AM)Bill Wrote:  Hi I really not good when it comes to electric bikes but maybe someone at this site can help you out. They custom build and share ideas..... http://www.atomiczombie.com/ . Good luck to you .

Bill

Hi Bill thanks for your message. Basically, this has nothing to do with the electric bike aspect of the build, I just want to know what order to assemble the parts in, and what head-sets, bearings, crown-race and tools I will need. Thanks.
Did you try looking at the video on this site?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
You should look here:
http://forums.bikeride.com/forum-11.html
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-16-2014, 05:55 PM
Last Post: DaveM

05-05-2012, 11:12 AM