Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

WD40 is not the best
There is a product used in major tool rooms I have been in as an engineer for 34 years. It is called Kroil. I think you would have to get it off the web though, but believe me it is the BEST I have seen.....

Penetrating-Lubricating Oils
Loosens Frozen Metal Parts! ... Nothing Works Like Kroil Kroil - An industry proven penetrating oil that has no equal. Used by 480 of the Fortune 500 companies!

http://www.kanolabs.com
Penetrating
Engine Cleaners
MSDS
Lubricants
Specialties
Emergency
Quite an ad! WD 40 works great for motorbike switches and a great pressure lube on clutch and front brake cables with a screw down cable Luber. I have always used it for wiping down steel and alloy frames after a ride and as a chain lube it's great.Bit dubious about perfumed/save the planet lubes in tiny bottles.
(09-25-2011, 09:41 AM)ghost Wrote:  Quite an ad! WD 40 works great for motorbike switches and a great pressure lube on clutch and front brake cables with a screw down cable Luber. I have always used it for wiping down steel and alloy frames after a ride and as a chain lube it's great.Bit dubious about perfumed/save the planet lubes in tiny bottles.

Yea, I do not sell the stuff, just have seen it in action.
Also used for psoriasis/migraine and those unwelcome female problems.
WD40 does have it uses in other ways. Yes, Kroil is good stuff.

Many here are likely to mix up a home brew of 50/50 ATF (transmission fluid) and acetone, which happens to be rated number one in a comparison test somewhere on the 'Net as a penetrating fluid (for rust).

It's always good to have a selection of products to try out. Smile
But I would be careful about using any of those on a bicycle chain unless it is to just clean it.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
WD40 is falling out of favor after lengthy presence in the market. It turns into a gummy residue over time.
If its all you have, it use it. It does work.

However there are better more specific products that do not leave a black gummy residue.

Mechanics working on vintage motorcycles swear by Kroil. Liquid wrench works good too.

The home brew is best if you work a lot on rusty bikes.

I always spray the night before taking things apart. Use all in a ventilated space.

"Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Type of penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ................................ 516 pounds

WD-40 ............................ 238 pounds

PB Blaster .......................214 pounds

Liquid Wrench .............. 127 pounds

Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix......... 53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic
transmission fluid and acetone.

Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.
Never Give Up!!!
You try to get acetone now! I used WD 40 in workshops in Bermuda for 18 years. Humidity there in summer is over 80 percent and the electrics and especially the switches on the Police motorcycles I repaired and maintained had a problem after losing their silicone grease due to heat and humidity. I used to flood the switches until the WD ran clear and solved a big problem and the failure rate dropped away. I know it's the thing now to slag it off with the other brands, but that is what I had and it was great. Also keeps a neat glow on the bores of a Beretta o/u!
Ye for sure acetone may be hard to get in some parts of the world. Try beauty supply places, its nail polish remover.:-)) Its great final cleaner for mechanical assembly. Denatured alcohol and (Ransom) Lighter fluid is good to, for small parts. Kerosene, and WD will do in a pinch. Been told WD is kerosene and oil mix? It was originally used as water displacer.

As per WD , ye I used it for a long time cause it was available, now I use more specific products such as electrics cleaner spray followed by silicone spray. If apart I use die electric Silicone Grease, a favorite for keeping British electrics going. Been used on electrics in hot engine compartments and did not melt. Teflon spray is great for cables etc.....
Never Give Up!!!
Fortunately, I don't live in a 'nanny' state so I can buy acetone all day long for $20 to $25 per gallon (US). Smile

I'm smart enough to know read labels and to use it in a well-ventilated area, as are most of us. Big Grin

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
I am sure you and some others on this list are aware of safe way to use chemicals. However some are new and learning and it is always good to make sure they know it too. At least on my watch.

ANND .... as KC says read the labels........
Never Give Up!!!
(09-25-2011, 07:02 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Ye for sure acetone may be hard to get in some parts of the world. Try beauty supply places, its nail polish remover.:-)) Its great final cleaner for mechanical assembly. Denatured alcohol and (Ransom) Lighter fluid is good to, for small parts. Kerosene, and WD will do in a pinch. Been told WD is kerosene and oil mix? It was originally used as water displacer.

As per WD , ye I used it for a long time cause it was available, now I use more specific products such as electrics cleaner spray followed by silicone spray. If apart I use die electric Silicone Grease, a favorite for keeping British electrics going. Been used on electrics in hot engine compartments and did not melt. Teflon spray is great for cables etc.....
Hi George, the water displacer in WD is silicone, which seems to be a large part in it's makeup. I used it for a long time and kinda like it, but I know there are others out there.
(09-25-2011, 09:34 PM)KC-Steve Wrote:  Fortunately, I don't live in a 'nanny' state so I can buy acetone all day long for $20 to $25 per gallon (US). Smile

I'm smart enough to know read labels and to use it in a well-ventilated area, as are most of us. Big Grin

Steve

It's not a state Steve, but the European Union seem to think that only them know how to do things.My old uncle used to say that the French ran away, he shot at the Germans and now they run us. But that's progress!
I've found rustoleum penetrating lubricant (https://www.truworthhomes.com/rust-oleum-penetrating-lubricant.html) best! Best to lubricate rusted metal parts!
"WD-40® literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed the product back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion—a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try." https://wd40.com/faqs

An epic bike shop owner in Westhampton Beach has a 'secret sauce' for rust-busting = 50% Acetone / 50%Transmission Fluid. (NO, as a matter of fact - he never did mention which brand or transmission fluid...
I've always used WD-40 and I never had any problems with it. So, I don't think, there is any reason to spend more money for the same effectiveness (or maybe even worse).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-24-2021, 01:21 PM
Last Post: JoJoJo