Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Tyre rubbing on frame
Hi guys,

I have Mavic Crosstrail 2010 wheels & Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evolution tyres.

After trying to sort out a cassette issue, I think there is a problem with the locknuts on either side of the Mavic rear hub. What I mean is, the tyre is rubbing on the frame & I'm pretty sure it's because the distance I've screwed the locknuts back onto the axle is incorrect.

I've been researching online for a while now & I discovered, amongst other things, that I should have measured how much the axle protrudes from the hub so I can make sure it's the same distance when I reassamble it all. Obviously too late for that now though.

So at the moment when I tighten the quick release skewer after putting the wheel back on, it only seems to be able to properly clamp if it actually pulls the frame towards itself. And that action seems to pull the rear derailleur slightly too, although the gearing doesn't seem to be affected.

I don't think this is normal really! Any advise anyone???

Cheers

Si
sounds like you left out a washer or spacer. Everything on the axle needs to be tight, there is no way to have changed the stack length without leaving something out, or adding something to the stack.
Nigel
Nigel is spot-on, as usual, but...you're leaving out a few important details, Dalton.
Relatively new wheels and tires. How old is frameset? What bike?
Are the Ralphs 26x2.1 or a 29'r tire in 2.4?

Do us all a quick fave and check this...
Release the brakes, pop the wheel out, remove the skewer.
Put the wheel back in minus the chain over the cogs. Pull wheel back and up into the drop-outs. Look carefully from behind. If you see axle exposed outside of either drop-out, the axle isn't centered. The skewer clamps the frame width and 'does' sorta "pull" it all together. You never want the skewer contacting the axle.
Keep us posted!

Rob
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(06-15-2011, 07:59 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Nigel is spot-on, as usual, but...you're leaving out a few important details, Dalton.
Relatively new wheels and tires. How old is frameset? What bike?
Are the Ralphs 26x2.1 or a 29'r tire in 2.4?

Do us all a quick fave and check this...
Release the brakes, pop the wheel out, remove the skewer.
Put the wheel back in minus the chain over the cogs. Pull wheel back and up into the drop-outs. Look carefully from behind. If you see axle exposed outside of either drop-out, the axle isn't centered. The skewer clamps the frame width and 'does' sorta "pull" it all together. You never want the skewer contacting the axle.
Keep us posted!

Rob

Hi Rob,

It's a Focus Raven from 2008. So I assume that means the frameset is from 2008. Tyres are the 26" variety matey.

I'll try your suggestion after work tonight then. Thanks for the tips.

I was going to ask, what shall I do it the wheel is not centered? But I'll wait till I've tried your suggestion before I go on further with this.

Thanks again buddy

Always appreciated.

Si
when you say 26"; is that ISO 559, ISO 571, ISO 584, ISO 590 or ISO 597 ? All have been or are currently called " 26 inch " but are not interchangable.
Nigel
(06-16-2011, 09:49 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  when you say 26"; is that ISO 559, ISO 571, ISO 584, ISO 590 or ISO 597 ? All have been or are currently called " 26 inch " but are not interchangable.

Hiya Nige,

I'm not sure about the ISO number to be honest. I assume that would be printed somewhere on the tyre?

However, if you're going down the line I think you're going down, the problem is nothing to do with the tyre size, I'm certain of that. The tyres are the ones the originally came with the bike and this rubbing hasn't been a problem before.

It's something to do with either the wheel or the hub/cassette assembly, I'm sure of it!

On the subject of the hub/cassette, I'm not sure if this is a problem or not because it's not really affecting my ride, but I'll tell you anyway -

When I've had the axle out & slid it back into the hub, I start to screw the locknuts back on either side. Now, if I tighten them too much, the cassette doesn't spin freely enough, or won't really spin at all if I really tighten them. So for the cassette to be able to spin I have to leave at least one of the locknuts a little loose, well, not loose as such, but only tightened until it makes contact with the hub & no more tight than that.

Now tell me if it's just me but surely that's not normal?

And I've notice there's some play in the cassette when I leave the locknuts a bit looser like this.

Also, on a side subject, I cannot remove my cassette to expose the freehub! I've tried it with my chainwhip & adjustable wrench/cassette tool many times until my chainwhip eventually broke recently. But it just won't budge.

Sorry to keep going on here I'm just trying to be as detailed as possible....I am able to remove the cassette, simply by unscrewing the hub locknuts & sliding out the axle. Once I've done that the cassette slides off easily. But it exposes the piece underneath the freehub with the springs/pawls on! The freehub stays inside the cassette! One of my LBS mechanics said with Mavic wheels & hubs you can actually remove the cassette with the freehub still inside. But I actually do want to expose the freehub.

I clamped the cassette in my vice a couple of days ago, that's when I broke my chainwhip because I tried to release the lockring on the cassette by clamping it then wrapping the chainwhip round it & turning it by hand. It didn't work obviously, but there was something a bit strange, when I moved the broken chainwhip to one side & put both my hands on the clamped cassette, I found some of the sprockets on the cassette do move a bit either way by hand. I assume this isn't normal either?

Thanks for listening! And apologies for such a lengthy post.

Si
Hi Dalton;

One or more pieces are missing and/or broken inside your hub. Without complete pictures, and schematics of your particular hub, that is as far as I can go - sorry.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...