Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Upgrading brake/gear levers on Avanti Cadent 1
I have an Avanti Cadent 1 which carries the Shimano 105 groupset apart from the brakes which are Tiagra.

The gear cables exit the levers from the side. I want to tidy up the front end by updating the levers so I can run the gear cables under the bar tape.

Can I just replace the levers with the new 105 or even Ultegra levers or is it more complicated than that?

Basically I suppose what I am asking is if the new 105 or Ultegra levers are compatible with the older model 105 gears and Tiagra brakes. Will I have to change the whole groupset to upgrade?

I am new to this site so if this has already been answered excuse me and point me in the right direction.

All help appreciated.

Al.
Depends. If the number of gears is the same then you can replace them, they should be compatible.
+1; it is all about the number of gears.
Nigel
(06-14-2011, 03:32 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  +1; it is all about the number of gears.

Thanks fellas. It is a Shimano 10 speed cassette on the back so no problem with the number of gears. I was thinking more along the lines of how far the derailleur moves when the lever is flicked. I have done more research and it seems there might be a problem with the front changer and its relationship with the change lever. The rear should be ok and I might get away with just changing the front derailleur and the levers.

Might also upgrade the Tiagra brakes to 105's while I am at it.

Problem is when you get the disease called "upgradeitis" you have to stop when you reach the stage when it would have been cheaper to buy a new bike! :-)

Al.
Al; we all need multiple bikes........ and many projects Smile
Nigel
(06-14-2011, 11:47 PM)oldal Wrote:  Problem is when you get the disease called "upgradeitis" you have to stop when you reach the stage when it would have been cheaper to buy a new bike! :-)
Al.
I call BS on that, Al. Perhaps you're only in the Chronic stage and still in denial. It always turns Acute and is usually untreatable. Wink

On a serious note, tho... Does your current bar have indentions or creases on the face to lay the housing in before re-wrapping?
If you're used to a round bar on top, it can feel way wrong to have that cable under the tape poking out to your knuckles.
That's when I bought a grooved bar. Right before I realized that it was easier to maintain the way it was ... and my tape clashed... and... I think that was my tipping point. Acute, baby! Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(06-15-2011, 07:22 PM)RobAR Wrote:  
(06-14-2011, 11:47 PM)oldal Wrote:  Problem is when you get the disease called "upgradeitis" you have to stop when you reach the stage when it would have been cheaper to buy a new bike! :-)
Al.
I call BS on that, Al. Perhaps you're only in the Chronic stage and still in denial. It always turns Acute and is usually untreatable. Wink

On a serious note, tho... Does your current bar have indentions or creases on the face to lay the housing in before re-wrapping?
If you're used to a round bar on top, it can feel way wrong to have that cable under the tape poking out to your knuckles.
That's when I bought a grooved bar. Right before I realized that it was easier to maintain the way it was ... and my tape clashed... and... I think that was my tipping point. Acute, baby! Smile

Funny you should say that RobAR. I was thinking that a grooved bar or a bar with internal routing would be the go. And seeing as I am replacing the bar I may as will replace the stem. Now I don't want alloy again so a nice carbon bar and stem set would be good. Could get some carbon water bottle holders to match. My SPD-SL pedals are silver so some nice black Dura-Ace carbon ones would match beautifully. Then there is.........................aaargh. Gotta stop.

Al.
Hm, a note on the carbon bar and stem: You do have a torque wrench, don't you?
(06-16-2011, 04:03 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  Hm, a note on the carbon bar and stem: You do have a torque wrench, don't you?

Yes Joe. I also ride dirt motor bikes and I have a very accurate torque wrench with very low tolerances. I use it to tighten my carbon seat post into the carbon frame and anything else that touches the carbon. I am still coming to grips with servicing something made of carbon and treat it with great respect!

Al.
OK, all fitted and all well. The bars have a groove along the back which fitted the cables quite well. The rear works a treat while the front is a bit stiff. Changes ok but more pressure needed on the lever than the standard set up;

Most important is the cables are now tucked in behind the bar tape giving the front end a much neater look and I can now finish a 35klm scratch race in .005 seconds than I usually do:-)

I think a new 5700 front changer is the way to go. Fairly cheap to buy and might make all the difference.

Al.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

01-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Last Post: nameused

03-21-2010, 06:18 AM