Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Altus - 105
My new Trike has Altus rear Derailleur and Im not impressed. Im not a component snob but I want something that works nicely. Im thinking maybe 105. There are many different styles with different lengths of this or that. Can some one clue me in what I need to measure/know in order to get the correct derailleur? Its an 8 speed cassette with grip shift but those are also going bye bye soon. I want indexed bar end shifters. Maybe even non-indexed
Thanks
I watched myself crawlin' out as I was a-crawlin' in
Some of my bicycles
My Schwinns
Altus is MTB whereas 105 is road type.
105 is meant for no more than 27 tooth rear cassette.
Your Altus may be a long cage mech' so you will also need similar on the replacement.
I would suggest you look at Shimano MTB range of derailleurs.
What size and number of sprockets do you have?
Ride hard or ride home alone!
The rear is Sram 11-32 8sp and if it matters the front is 52/42/30 and may be getting a 56 big ring some day. The rear wheel is only a 20" so that may enter into it because Ive seen trikes with the rear derailleur only about 3/4" from the ground. I may just take it to the bike shop and let them figure it out.

Here are the specs http://www.sunbicycles.com/product_detail.php?short_code=T3+CX+Tadpole&cl1=RECUMBENT
Some of my bicycles
My Schwinns
(05-18-2011, 04:20 PM)AL_BUNDY Wrote:  ..... I may just take it to the bike shop and let them figure it out......

It is your money.
Nigel
A 105 will not reach a 32T cassette cog. In fact I don't know of any Shimano road mech' that will.
Sram make one but that is 10 speed and won't match your changer etc.

Yes you will need a long cage mech' as you have a triple.
You could upgrade to Lx / XT or similar but you would have to check that it is suitable for your 8 speed system.
I suspect that the shifter change will make a bigger difference than the derailleur. Makes sense to do both at the same time if you're going to change it anyway. But I'd try new shifters before der.
"I suspect that the shifter change will make a bigger difference than the derailleur"
I thought about that.My ole MTB was like a new bike after new shifters. I went pretty cheap with Alivio but the old shifters were shot.
I'm having a hard time finding bar ends in a 3-8 combo. I see 3-9 or 2-8. Im sure they are out there I just havnt seen them for a decent price yet.
Some of my bicycles
My Schwinns
(05-19-2011, 01:31 PM)AL_BUNDY Wrote:  I'm having a hard time finding bar ends in a 3-8 combo. I see 3-9 or 2-8. Im sure they are out there I just haven't seen them for a decent price yet.

If your cassette is Shimano 8 speed then a 9 speed will fit. You could then have 3x9 shifters.
Another option is if the 3x9 bar end shifter will work as a friction shifter then this would work with the eight speed.
You might start by getting a 9 speed dérailleur (this will work with 8 speed as well). Get the 3x9 shifter and use the friction mode until the 8 speed cassette wears out. Then swap to 9 speed cassette and use the indexing.
"" If your cassette is Shimano 8 speed then a 9 speed will fit""

Would I also need a new chain? I was thinking 9 speed chains were different. My chain is almost 3 time longer then a typical bike. That can get pricey also but might be worth it. 3 more speeds would be cool but like some one said shifters may be enough to make me happy.
Some of my bicycles
My Schwinns
Just did some looking and if I do ebay it looks like I can do Cassette & LX 9 speed Derailleur for about $80. If I can find compatible bar ends for around $40. That would be acceptable if I dont have to sink another $80 for a chain. Im pretty confused about all this so correct me if Im thinking wrong.

I also gotta take into account I plan on trading up in a couple-3 years to a much more expensive trike that will already have top notch equipment.
Some of my bicycles
My Schwinns
I can't advise on chain compatibility as I have never tried using a 9 speed chain on my 8 speed bikes.
The reports are that 9 speed chains are narrower due to the "rivets" protruding less outside the side plates. (same internal dimension). So my theory is that 8 speed chains, with their protruding rivets, may catch on the narrower gaps of a 9 speed cassette and give "ghost" shifts or a noisy drive.???
So I would budget for new chains if going to 9 speed. Sad
(05-20-2011, 03:53 AM)cyclerUK Wrote:  ....9 speed chains are narrower due to the "rivets" protruding less outside the side plates. (same internal dimension). So my theory is that 8 speed chains, with their protruding rivets, may catch on the narrower gaps of a 9 speed cassette and give "ghost" shifts or a noisy drive.???
So I would budget for new chains if going to 9 speed. Sad

Correct.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-08-2009, 04:53 AM
Last Post: bestia