Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Creaking bottom bracket
Can anyone tell me what is causing the creaking in my bottom bracket?
I just finished building my first single speed. XT single crank, new bottom bracket from bike shop and when I'm pedaling hard it sounds like an old clunker!
Have switched the pedals, removed seat (because some one said it may be the seat post) the creaking is still there.
I removed the BB and regreased the threads, this made it silent for about 20 minutes then the creaking was back!!!!!!!!!

In my experience three things have cleared this up for me. 1) make sure there was no grease what so ever on the crank arm or the crank when you put it on. 2) tighten all the chain ring bolts, one of them might be loose. 3) Try tightening the crank arm bolts, that has always worked for me.

By the way congrats on your first build, post some pics up we would love to see it!

thanks for the advice Jordan.
I'll try and attach some pics

[attachment=57]
[attachment=58]
[attachment=59]
[attachment=60]
Hey thats a pretty cool repair stand, I was thinking about making one similar to that w/ electrical EMT conduit and some fittings. Do you happen to have a plan or drawing of it?

that's a sweet ride man! Good job

Hey jstan49, the stand you see in the pics was left attached to the side of my house by the previous owner. There was actually two of them that I think he must of stored a canoe on. I just thought one would make a good storage device for my bike. If I get a chance on the weekend I'll take a better pic and post it here, cheers Ian

Hey Jordan, on the weekend I went and bought all the proper tools I needed to pull out the bottom bracket and regrease. Until now I had been using my friends dodgy bottom bracket tool, an ok crank puller and a multi tool to put the pedal arms back on. Also bought some top notch grease ($20 for a toothpaste tube size, that's expensive huh!)
Anyway, nothin' but quiet now! Did two 1 hour city commutes yesterday and it was perfect!
I think having the proper tool to tighten up the pedal arms was important. It felt like they went on heaps further than when tightened with a small multitool.
Thanks again for your help. Cheers Ian.

Possibly Related Threads...