Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

1978 Raleigh needs refreshing - a little confused
Wow thats nasty. Do not know where you are?? But use a good penetrant like "Liquid Wrench" or "Kroil and let soak for a few days.If you got new wheels you may just be better getting a new freewheel rather than messing with this unless dealer got tools. Good photo BTW.

http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1079.html

Old Maillard. Old time dealer should have the wrench.There was a thread on this before.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/freewheel.html

Looks like this one NLA from Harris. :-(
TL202A

Found one via google :http://www.mtnbikes.net/varmaillardbigsplinedfwremover.aspx
Never Give Up!!!
Thanks for all the links. It's not really as bad as it looks, I shot the pic under weird light and my camera messed up the color. There's no rust and it's just a little greasy. Definitely needs cleanup. I did see that it looks like the socket I need is NLA, so I may have to just give up on this one. I'll work on it for a while before throwing in the towel.
1978 Raleigh Record
(03-13-2011, 07:35 PM)78Raleigh Wrote:  Mine looks like this (has 24 splines): . . .

You said you bought it new? Did you ever have the freewheel repaired before? Just curious.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
No, but I did replace the freewheel on my wife's Record 6 or 7 years ago. I can't remember how I got that one off. I may have done it with a lot of work and tapping counterclockwise with a regular screw driver and very small hammer. Thinking back, it's surprising that it came off. Maybe I can get that one off for the new wheel.

I never had any work done on mine, just the CLA & routine stuff that I did myself over the years.
1978 Raleigh Record
I've given up on removing either freewheel for reuse...not surprised either. I figure a new one won't hurt and they're not that much so I'll save myself a lot of hassle. I like the gearing I have now which is 14-28T. Can you tell me what the round plate between the largest cog and the spokes is called, since I won't be getting it off?

[Image: w-line_3633.jpg]
1978 Raleigh Record
Wow this is so great. I have the Raleigh Record LTD, light blue, just like in the photos. I thought it was a '78. My mom bought it for me when I was a teenager. I love it, sentimental value of course. Should change those steel rims, but they are the original ones, trued them recently, am trying to stay vintage although as I get more serious about touring should probably replace them.

Replaced freewheel, front derailler and crankset with original parts all from ebay.

Looking into getting a triple crankset, does raleigh make such a thing?
Just got some clipless pedals through ebay, still need to get some biking shoes.

[attachment=2040]
(03-23-2011, 12:14 AM)Genshu Wrote:  Wow this is so great. I have the Raleigh Record LTD, light blue, just like in the photos. I thought it was a '78. My mom bought it for me when I was a teenager. I love it, sentimental value of course. Should change those steel rims, but they are the original ones, trued them recently, am trying to stay vintage although as I get more serious about touring should probably replace them.

Replaced freewheel, front derailler and crankset with original parts all from ebay.

Looking into getting a triple crankset, does raleigh make such a thing?
Just got some clipless pedals through ebay, still need to get some biking shoes.

Another question, how do you attach water bottle holders when there are no mounting screw holes?
I don't know about the crankset. My water bottle holder attached with a couple clamps that bolted around the tube. Once I get it all fixed up, I'll post a picture of the bike, still waiting for parts in the mail.
1978 Raleigh Record
Hmmm I think I may have an extra one of those, don't quote me I will check and let you know later tonite.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
OK, my last part arrived today and I've pretty much finished up except for some adjusting and tweaking. Refreshing included new front & rear wheelset, freewheel, brake cables, and 2 tires. Throw in a set of tire levers and it all came to about $132 including shipping. That was pretty close, maybe a little less, than I thought I'd be spending. Now I can't wait for it to warm up a little so I can get back to riding. Thanks everybody for your help in figuring things out!

[Image: w2DSC_3728.jpg]
1978 Raleigh Record
Looks great, nice job.

If you find the seat uncomfortable I suggest checking out the Terry Liberator from Nashbar. Great price for leather covered seat (used to be a lot more) and no more numb nuts.
Big cushy seats just look comfortable, but usually are not. Seat needs to support you at your seat bones and not put pressure on other parts.Finally getting rid of my cushy seat and getting the Terry was a eureka moment, no more numb nuts.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_522820_-1___
Never Give Up!!!
NICE!
I can smell 0000 steel wool and WD-40 from a mile away! Smile

78R... Bravo!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Hi folks, it's a year later and I thought I'd report back.

It was a great year of riding and everything has held up well. The only thing I've done in the meantime is put on a wider seat. I love this bike!

Thanks again for everybody's help in figuring things out!

If you're interested in seeing what I did over the last year in my "other life", check it out:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=524033

I actually started on it in 2009, but did the majority of the work over the last year and a half.

Happy biking!!
1978 Raleigh Record