Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

'74 Schwinn Varsity
hi everytime I look at your thread, I think, who was Will Rogers? Was he that cool guy who used to do that show named Mr. Rogers Neighbourhood? Please take me out of my misery.
Well, have you heard of google?? Way before Mr. Rogers. He was a famous American movie star.
The photo is on the awesome ocean front bike path along Pacific Ocean in Los Angeles. Many famous sites along this path and Movie Star houses including the Marion Davis estate ,( Randolph Hertz girlfriend). There also was Lon Chaneys house (the first werewolf) but that tumbled off a cliff due to erosion. All this is from the early days of Hollywood.

http://www.cmgww.com/historic/rogers/

http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=
Never Give Up!!!
I managed to find another freewheel for the Schwinn! Same exact one as the bike came with but the teeth are in much better shape. Cost $5. I also found a replacement for the hub locknut I lost when disassembling the front wheel. I am down to buying tires, tubes, rimtape, and a new seat for parts to complete the bike. I also need to get the frame powder coated still of course. I should be reassembling this bike by the end of the month I think.
You have powder coats before, so you probably know to cover all threaded surfaces and remove or cover bearing races in steering and crank areas.
Just a reminder as another poster had all his races powder coated. DOA.
Never Give Up!!!
The company I am using specializes in bicycle frames. Gotta love Portland for that sort of stuff. The only threads to worry about are on the forks of course and I have removed all the bearing races.
Ye My buddy lives in Ashland. I took a motorcycle trip to visit him. Awesome ride up on PCH.Came back via the back side through Lassen, Lake Tahoe and down 395. Mojave Desert at end sucks.

We went to Portland main plaza and there were a bunch of skinheads sitting by the fountain.

I blew my friends mind when I approached them and bowed saying Here Krishna. :-)))

Ye the good old days.
Never Give Up!!!
Was just reading and thought.... You know you could make a "cut-out" and paint it on? A little more work but I have seen that done before.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
The new stickers should be done soon, the frame and forks are in at the powder coaters now. I should be putting this back together in two weeks.
Grats on the freewheel for $5. Where did you find it, eBay?

Those stickers are a good idea. I know people that have the printers for those stickers and am thinking about duplicating some for a couple of vintage Walker floor jacks I am rebuilding. No trademark problem there. Smile

Another graphic alternative I am considering since I like using automotive paints (2-stage urethane), is a vinyl mask for signs. I would use an exacto knife and cut the graphic from the vinyl. Then just paint the open area. I would need to do the multiple coats right away so I can follow it all up with a clear urethane coat within 24 hours of the beginning. If done properly the all the coats will completely dry together so there won't be any separate layers of paint. That's the way 2-stage urethane is supposed to work.

As you might notice, I love this stuff, but work keeps me from stopping by much.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
(03-11-2011, 01:41 AM)KC-Steve Wrote:  Grats on the freewheel for $5. Where did you find it, eBay?

Steve
Got the freewheel from The Community Cycling Center here in Portland. I have been doing some volunteer work there on Sunday's. They have a great selection of used parts in the shop and a Sunday salvage sale every week where you can get whatever you want from the pile out back for $0.50 a pound. You do have to pull the parts yourself, but that's half the fun anyway.
Still no word from the powder coater, they told me a week and a half to two weeks turnaround on the frame. It's bee a week and a half, can you tell I am chomping at the bit to get reassembling?

I did pick up the all white tires I ordered today, the seat I ordered won't be in until Tuesday next week.

I have gotten the wheels as true and dished as I could, considering I don't own a truing stand or dishing tool.

[Image: 197356_1901669472131_1553542496_32119418_2651605_n.jpg]

And yes, that's the same hub and freewheel that had been sitting under my uncles tree all those years, new spokes though on both wheels.
[Image: 164519_1809502248008_1553542496_31956381_7407672_n.jpg]
(03-18-2011, 09:54 PM)Duroon Wrote:  Still no word from the powder coater, they told me a week and a half to two weeks turnaround on the frame. It's bee a week and a half, can you tell I am chomping at the bit to get reassembling?

I did pick up the all white tires I ordered today, the seat I ordered won't be in until Tuesday next week.

I have gotten the wheels as true and dished as I could, considering I don't own a truing stand or dishing tool.

[Image: 197356_1901669472131_1553542496_32119418_2651605_n.jpg]

And yes, that's the same hub and freewheel that had been sitting under my uncles tree all those years, new spokes though on both wheels.
[Image: 164519_1809502248008_1553542496_31956381_7407672_n.jpg]

Wow! Those cleaned up nicely! I know what its like to be stuck waiting for parts to build a bike. Here in Hawaii its cheaper just to ship parts over from the US, ebay and such, than it is to buy from shops here. So when the mail backs up or something just takes forever to get shipped, it gets a little upsetting!
Got the seat I ordered finally! I also got the frame and forks back from the powder coaters tonight!

I whipped up a quick mock up to get the picture of how it will look when finished. I am going to take my time with the rest of the reassembly.
Very nice. You are going to give it back to your uncle. :-)))

Let us know final cost and hours .

BTW some Schwinn decals can still be found. Thats IMO is the finishing touch.
Never Give Up!!!
Holy cow!!!!!!! Very very nice job! Hats off to you!

Can we pretend I'm your uncle and play like that's my bike ahahahahahaha ! Joke! You did a great job.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I decided to put the fenders back on, it does rain a lot here in Oregon after all. I have custom stickers being made up for the bike, I did find some repro water decals but water decals don't stick to powder coated surfaces very well. I think I am right around the $200 mark on parts and stuff, $100 of that is the powder coating. Man hours is probably 10-15? I did this piece meal when I had some time to do things really. If I had to take this to a shop and pay a mechanic to do everything I would have been better off finding another bike I am sure.

New spokes = $12
New seat = $20
New tires, tubes, etc = $34
New chain = $10
Replacement rear fender = $10
New handlebar tape = $12
New cables and cable housing = $14
Powder coating = $100

Ok $212 total. Looking on Craigslist for my area, a Schwinn Varsity of this year runs anywhere from $100 to $250 in good condition.
Lovely looking bike. Regardless of cost, its the feeling of pride, you will have in looking at the old photos then looking at the "new" bike you have completed and remembering that you did it all yourself. Good luck for future projects, you have nailed this one.
Wow! Just an awesome job. Nothing else needs to be said, except to enjoy every ride on it.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Finished except for the stickers. Still waiting on those from the guy who does our tow truck logos.

Best part of today's work on the bike, a couple of hot laps around the neighborhood!
[attachment=2044]
[attachment=2045]
Looks great, the fenders look proper on it, and are needed in the wet.

Good price for powder coating. Summer is coming lots of nice rides await.:-)))

Thanks for showing this to us..........
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-31-2015, 12:36 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET

01-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Last Post: JoeFaz