Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

My Avanti Giro
[attachment=1846][attachment=1845]Hi thought i would show you my little Giro in it stock state love this bike.
Nice and hardy for our less than perfect roads.
Only things i have changes are the wheels to R500 Shimano's i know these are low spec but are extremely hardy.
I am about 90kg so i want my bike to last.
Do want to up spec the derailiers and brakes and add some bling.
I think its a pretty bike good way to get into some country eating miles.
Very nice looking bike. I love looking at different road bikes. What drive components do you currently have that you want to upgrade to?
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
(01-23-2011, 03:21 AM)wabbits Wrote:  Hi thought i would show you my little Giro in it stock state love this bike.
Nice and hardy for our less than perfect roads.
Only things i have changes are the wheels to R500 Shimano's i know these are low spec but are extremely hardy.
I am about 90kg so i want my bike to last.
Do want to up spec the derailiers and brakes and add some bling.
I think its a pretty bike good way to get into some country eating miles.

I like the lines on this bike and the simple color scheme as well. It does look light by sturdy.
(01-23-2011, 09:59 AM)RBurrelli Wrote:  I like the lines on this bike and the simple color scheme as well. It does look light by sturdy.
"Simple color scheme"? Oh brother. It's BEAUTIFUL! I am partial to white bikes. Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Definitely a machine to be proud of Smile . Very nice!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(01-23-2011, 09:56 AM)JohnV Wrote:  Very nice looking bike. I love looking at different road bikes. What drive components do you currently have that you want to upgrade to?

I want to change both deraliers and will change the brakes.
Add a carbon stem and seatpost.
Will attempt to shave about a kilo.
Have a set of Kenda tyres on it which are not so light feel a little sow butthe roads here chew tyres so have to be carefull what i use.
I went to the Avanti web site and was surprised to find that they only sell in Australia and New Zealand. I was looking for dealers in the US market, but found none. They make some really good looking bikes down under.
HCFR Cycling Team
(01-23-2011, 08:58 PM)JohnV Wrote:  I went to the Avanti web site and was surprised to find that they only sell in Australia and New Zealand. I was looking for dealers in the US market, but found none. They make some really good looking bikes down under.

This is my second Avanti my 1st was a flat bar road but when the bug bites...
Alloy with carbon forks lovely to ride.
Has low spec Shimano Sora components will upgrade to 105 or better.
Will keep her for a long time i think, just tweak her a little.
My Giant Defy is aluminum with carbon fork and seat post. It has the Shimano Tiagra drive train and I am happy with it. My other bikes have been 21 speed and the Defy is 27 speed. I don't use but a few of the speeds (Florida is pretty flat) so I, personally, don't see the need to upgrade to a 30 speed drive train, although at one time I was thinking of upgrading.
HCFR Cycling Team
(01-23-2011, 09:27 PM)JohnV Wrote:  My Giant Defy is aluminum with carbon fork and seat post. It has the Shimano Tiagra drive train and I am happy with it. My other bikes have been 21 speed and the Defy is 27 speed. I don't use but a few of the speeds (Florida is pretty flat) so I, personally, don't see the need to upgrade to a 30 speed drive train.

She is a 16 speed and i barely go on to the lower front sprocket more to upgrade for weight and a little more smoothness.(that and the fact i cant leave well enough alone 555
I want to shave about a kilo off but not essential, any improvement will only make it more enjoyable.
The Giants are a well liked bike here and in numbers.
Here is a question that i know someone can answer.
If i upgrade to derailiers 9-10 speed and stick with Shimano do i have problem with a 8 speed cassette? Dura ace or something similar.
What are the best ways of cutting a little bike weight?
Cool bike man! I like the color scheme of it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post