Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

FS: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Bike is in near perfect condition with fewer than 65 miles on it in 12 years. It should be ridden...there's enough treasure in the basement without letting this great bike go to waste! All original (except tires). Large frame (I'm 6'4" and it fits me fine). $300 takes it. Please respond below.
could you post pictures?
Here is an actual pic of my bike taken just a few minutes ago in the basement. This bike is 22 years old with less than 50 miles on it. The frame was the tallest that Specialized made in 1988, equal to an XL today.
It has all Shimano Deore components and will make someone an excellent bike for 20% of the cost of a new one. This is something straight out of American Pickers!
Someone interested in VRC (Vintage, Retro, Collectible) would be wise to jump on this! I would if I had the $$$.

Bark - I hate to burst your bubble but, that is a difficult frame size to move when looking for a 'rider'. While it is true that you have a primo item, the components are more likely to capture the lusty eye of a VRC enthusiast. Do not be surprised if you get several requests to 'part it out'.
My advice? Relax all springs (cut cables) and soak everything in a rust-preventer and Will it to your eldest grandson. That rear drlr may garner him $1,000 in 2029. See where I am going? It isn't going to happen.
A 20 oz bottle of Coca Cola may cost $8 in 2029. I always vote that we US continue minting the Penny.

You may have more than $300 there if you play it correctly. You may get $1,000 there if the right person spies it! You would be lucky to get $25 at a yard sale. We shop-guys already have probs with used-to-be-common 8 spd shifters and their availability. Maybe 2012 really is TEOTWAWKI and the Mayans ate fried potatoes and grilled onions.

Me? I don't know and don't care (big, fat liar). I pushed a gear today and feel good.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Thanks, RobAR. What I really want is a RANS Fusion - the long wheelbase crank-forward model...so I may just buy the RANS frameset and part out the ol' Stumpjumper to myself. The Shimano Deore components are all very good quality compared to today's counterparts and hey...the old stuff is still new!
(12-08-2010, 10:00 PM)RobAR Wrote:  . . . That rear drlr may garner him $1,000 in 2029. See where I am going? It isn't going to happen.
A 20 oz bottle of Coca Cola may cost $8 in 2029. I always vote that we US continue minting the Penny. . .

RobAR, between you and GeorgeET it's always hard to "read between the lines." Smile

So I'm assuming you are referring to inflation, right? Guess no more, in the last couple of days bond holders have been selling U.S. Treasury bonds, bills, and notes as fast as they can. The price of the bonds fall to cause the interest paid to rise. This is the beginning of serious inflation, and I don't really see any political fixes at this time. (Too much fighting between the parties) So buy everything you plan to buy now while it is still cheap. Big Grin

And don't use a credit card because it will adjust according to inflation.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Hey KC whats this between the lines stuff. I am just trying to be politically correct, and sensitive. At least with RobAR I am in good company. Where is my brewski. :-)))
Like the Mothers and the Pappas said, I cant really say it cause the radio wont play it so I'll say it between the lines. I know you heard of them and Maynard G. Crabs.

(Do not know about the prices Rob is quoting,(although the way the world is going we are screwed) and supporting the two wars and bribes to foreign regimes is taking lunch money programs away from American kids.. )

Here in California people think if its old junk its valuable junk. NOT. Only top end stuff in excellent cosmetic condition is worth anything and not much at that. Compared to new bikes vintage are a bargain. Except to techies who want all the latest gizzmoz and bragging rights.

Whats interesting is that lots of young riders are moving away from hi tech and moving to recapture the vintage steel road bike ride with the fixies.

Oh ye nice bike. I find lots more tall bikes out there than low ones for guys like me. Got my 53cm/21 inch 1985 Fuji del Rey road bike along with my 19 inch 1991 Aluminum Schwinn MB so I am set, and I know Rob loves my hand painted spider web original Schwinn paint job.
Never Give Up!!!
did you ever sell the bike?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Hi Bark...
do you still have the bike for sale?
where are you?
Gilberto
Is it still for sale? I'm very interested.
(12-02-2014, 01:29 PM)galenh Wrote:  Is it still for sale? I'm very interested.
I hope you have better luck than me. Ha Thats the way it goes. Never did find out if it was ever sold or not. I am sure it was. If you want a nice project similar to that I have the same vintage Rockhopper complete, just needs some tlc. One owner, never off-road. all original components less seat, chain. Just one I have waiting to be perfected down the road. 18in. frame. wheelset like new. a couple paint chips but not a lot and easy non metallic blends. as is I give it a 8.5 out of 10. $180 plus shipping.
I have never ever even had the chance to clean it yet. but isn't she a beauty anyway?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(12-02-2014, 08:29 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
(12-02-2014, 01:29 PM)galenh Wrote:  Is it still for sale? I'm very interested.
I hope you have better luck than me. Ha Thats the way it goes. Never did find out if it was ever sold or not. I am sure it was. If you want a nice project similar to that I have the same vintage Rockhopper complete, just needs some tlc. One owner, never off-road. all original components less seat, chain. Just one I have waiting to be perfected down the road. 18in. frame. wheelset like new. a couple paint chips but not a lot and easy non metallic blends. as is I give it a 8.5 out of 10. $180 plus shipping.
I have never ever even had the chance to clean it yet. but isn't she a beauty anyway?

I know, definitely a long shot, but I figured I would try anyway. If your bike was a larger frame, I would buy it in a second. Being 6' 2" tends to limit choices sometimes. Thanks for posting it, and if you happen to come across a 21"+ Stumpjumper I would love to buy it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post