Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How to remove this type of freewheel? (BMX)
I have one of these on my bmx:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DICTA-Freewheel-BMX-Sprocket-16t-BRAND-NEW-CHROME-/140424513781?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item20b1f408f5

But i have a new one and don't know how to remove it to install the new one, Any help appreciated.
only by dismantling and knocking off with a hammer and chisel!!
remove the outer plate by unscrewing using a punch in the 2 small holes, it will then come apart and you can place the chisel in the pawl sockets, it will, of course, be unusable after.
I also hope you are not planning to fit a smaller tooth fw as you cannot go smaller than 16t on a screwed hub.
it looks like the side facing down in the pic is made for a 4-prong socket. i removed and reinstalled 2 of these "disposable" freewheels when i regeared my daughters bike. instead of the chisel in the pawl method, i put it in a vise, the 2 pawl areas were flat, and turned the wheel to loosen it. maybe i just got lucky twice in the same day, but i figured if it didn't work i have to buy a new one anyhow so i was only out my time for trying. if you do this, be careful not to loose the little balls inside.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
(10-25-2010, 11:50 AM)X-RAY Wrote:  it looks like the side facing down in the pic is made for a 4-prong socket. . . i put it in a vise, the 2 pawl areas were flat, and turned the wheel to loosen it. . . .

I can back ya up on the vise. I have used it just to get a good grip when trying to remove a freewheel with an FR-1 on an old Raleigh! Smile

Now that "4-prong socket" kinda throws me. I just bought a new mechanic's set of tools and there are some 8-point sockets. Is that what you are referring to? They are designed for square-headed and 8-pt bolts and nuts. Let me know if that is what you meant.

Thanks,
Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
i was thinking something like a park fr6 or similar. tried the cut & paste thing but couldn't get picture on here. maybe im just way off.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
Okay, I see what you mean now. See attached FR-6.

I know nothing about BMX bikes. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!

Possibly Related Threads...