Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How much for some repairs?
Ok so i have a question,how much would these repairs cost on my mountain bike:
*front and back rims to be trued
*gears not shifting properly
*back axle has a lot of play in it

How much would the above cost to be repaired? i don't want to be ripped off by my lbs.
These are basic repairs. If all thats needed is service and not parts.

I suggest you look on this site for adjusting shifting. Start with the barrel adjuster. depending what the problem is. The wheel cone nuts are loose, but if this went on for a while you may have damaged hub races. Requiring a new wheel. Open hub and look to see if its smooth where the bearings ride.

Suggest you check it out yourself. Look at repair guide top of this page.

At LBS Complete tune up and service as you describe should not be a lot more than $60.

Truing a wheel should be around $20 per wheel, if no parts needed.
Oh just saw your other post. You are in UK if you had that in your profile that would help.

No idea what things cost in UK.
Never Give Up!!!
i agree with george, watch the tutorials and try to do it yourself. if your not happy with your results, take it to the shop. you were gonna take it there anyhow, so you haven't lost anything by trying.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
A lot depends on the quality of the bike, good quality bikes are easier to 'repair' than cheapo mail order, although replacement parts will be more expensive.

truing a good wheel is usually fairly straightforward, but a cheap one can be a swine because they were never true or properly tensioned to start with, and if you try to do it yourself, you might make it worse!

It is rare to have a problem with a good hub, but cheap ones fail quickly, and you won't know what the fault is until you dis-mantle it, if you are lucky and it just needs the locknuts tightening, this has to be done properly, the RH locknut and cone must be tightened very tight and final adjustments carried out on the LH side, you will need to remove the gear block to do this.

But my guess is, you will find the axle is broken or bent, or the internal hub bearing cup has collapsed and you need a new wheel.
im having trouble removing my cluster of sprockets
I believe we need more info or a pic to help you better.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
well i have a remover but i doesn't fit,the sprockets are all original shimano components

(10-04-2010, 03:40 PM)X-RAY Wrote:  I believe we need more info or a pic to help you better.
If you have a Shimano <b>freewheel</b> then search google for "freewheel removal tool shimano" and you'll find the right tool. If you have a <b>cassette</b>, you need a cassette tool and a chain whip.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
(10-05-2010, 04:47 PM)DaveM Wrote:  If you have a Shimano <b>freewheel</b> then search google for "freewheel removal tool shimano" and you'll find the right tool. If you have a <b>cassette</b>, you need a cassette tool and a chain whip.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

will the lbs charge for removing my cluster of sprockets?
(10-24-2010, 05:08 PM)mattyts Wrote:  will the lbs charge for removing my cluster of sprockets?
That depends on the shop but, at mine if you brought in the wheel (as in I don't have to put a bike in the stand) I would gladly remove it for you at no charge. Of course you might want to buy a couple of tubes or some chain lube so they don't feel 'used'. Most shop folks are cool.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)