Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Upgrade Trek 7.3FX
Hey everyone! This is my first post here. So, here's the deal. I love my 7.3FX but I am ready to upgrade the crankset. I need something around the 50/39/30 area (roads here are pretty much flat). I know my BB is Square Taper, but can I upgrade the crank and BB to something that isn't? Also, I don't mind the rear cassette being 8spd but I have ridden around 2000 miles with it, so if I need to upgrade it as well I have no problem with it. Also, the front derailleur is crap with it being a C102. Any suggestions for it? The rear is fine since I know the Deore can accommodate a 9 speed cassette so I'd like to keep it. If I change to a 9 speed overall I guess that means I need to change the shifters. I really just want to change the front crankset and derailleur. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am in the military and stationed in Korea so going to a LBS is out of the question. I can go to the bike shop on base for installation but I have to get the parts online first. Please help!
After 2000 miles, it's probably time to <i>replace</i> the chain and cassette, but that doesn't mean you need to <i>upgrade</i>.

You don't have to stay with square taper cranks, you just have to get a crank/BB combo that works together. But the first question is what are you trying to achieve by upgrading? If you're shifting isn't good, it could be just an adjustment issue. Changing the F Deraileur may improve it some. But typically you've got to make a big jump in crank quality to feel much difference on a bike. IMHO. I'll repeat my standard assertion that in terms of bang for buck, the best upgrades are tires and brake pads.

They don't have LBS's in Korea or is it just hard to get off base for shopping? Or just hard to ask for what you need?
I am just looking for a better gearing combination for the roads I am encountering. The thing is, if I am replacing the cassette and chain I most likely need to replace the front crank to ensure proper chain wear. So basically I am just looking for a front crank with 50/39/30 gearing and a new cassette with 11-28 gearing. I am just looking for product recommendations really. I know I will probably spend a couple hundred dollars for all this stuff, but it will be worth it. Also, the nearest LBS besides the one on base is 10 miles away and it was a real chore to even get him to order the 7.3FX for me because of the language barrier. The shop on base is pretty much useless. They have a bunch of mountain bikes and won't special order parts for me so I am pretty much SOL. Also, the bike currently has 700x32 tires and I might end up going down to a 700x28 before the end of the year so that is definitely on my list. Thanks for your reply!