Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Is Finish Line Ceramic Wax Lubricant good for rear derailleur?
My chain is basically dry so I'm avoiding riding my bike until I get something, I rode it twice after getting caught in the rain and the factory lube globed up and washed off leaving the dirt behind. My chain has slipped off and gotten caught in the rear deraileur three times now.

I was looking for some decent lubricant's online for trail/road dry riding. I thought maybe Finish Line Ceramic Wax lube would be good because my chain gets dusty and dirty very quickly from trail dust. I don't plan on riding in the rain but I may get caught out in it on rare occasions. I don't have any experience with wax lube's, will this hold up to wet and still work if the weather decides to rain on me?

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Ceramic-Bicycle-4-Ounce/dp/B001XRVY4K/ref=pd_sbs_sg_4
Toby, a wax lube is probably the last thing that you want. While they do keep a chain remarkably clean, they require application almost every ride. Wax lubes work by 'flaking off' and taking grit with them. My first choice for an all-around, general conditions lube would be Finish Line Teflon Dry with the red cap.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
You sure that's good? some reviewers say it washes right off if it does get wet in a black liquid mess.

What about the Finish Line Ceramic Wet?

http://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Ceramic-Bicycle-4-Ounce/dp/B001XRXZFG/
(09-26-2010, 06:32 PM)Toby83 Wrote:  You sure that's good? some reviewers say it washes right off if it does get wet in a black liquid mess.

What about the Finish Line Ceramic Wet?

It depends on conditions. If it's dry (which is most of the time), I use Finish line Red, on the rare occasion it's wet, I use the Green.

A chain with Green on gets dirty much faster - it picks up dirt very rapidly in dry conditions. But the Red will wash off in wet conditions. So you need both really ( unless you never ride in the wet ).
Ok so I got the Finish like Dry, I watched the video on how to clean your chain before applying, when he says a rag soaked in solvent, what does he mean? like dish soap? (without water of course) or what? and do I then let it air dry? or do I dry it by hand?
(09-30-2010, 02:31 PM)Toby83 Wrote:  Ok so I got the Finish like Dry, I watched the video on how to clean your chain before applying, when he says a rag soaked in solvent, what does he mean? like dish soap? (without water of course) or what? and do I then let it air dry? or do I dry it by hand?

He means a solvent like varsol, or other degreaser/cleaner product.

Possibly Related Threads...