Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Professional bike fit?
(01-02-2011, 10:28 PM)BikeCrazyAgain Wrote:  Thanks for the great suggestion! I am interested in long distance road cycling, so I know that fit really matters. I've put off getting a professional fit done, but I do plan to do it soon. I live in Oregon and I'm a bit wimpy when it comes to cold weather (it hasn't been above freezing here for several days), so I haven't ridden much recently, but I'm hoping to get back out there just as soon as it warms up a bit.

I'll check out the company you mentioned. The name sounds familiar, so I'm wondering if I've seen it referenced on the websites of local bike shops.

Thanks again,
Patty

I know what you mean about the cold weather. When I was younger, it didn't bother me, but the older I get the more it tends to have an affect on me. Last year we had a very cold, record breaking winter for Florida and I didn't get to ride much. This year I bought me an entry level bike trainer so I can ride inside when the weather isn't rider friendly outside.

As for the fittings, I have had two fittings and have another scheduled for the end of this month. Unless there are other things that they need to adjust after this next fitting, it would most likely be my last fitting for this bike. Since I started the fittings, they have adjusted the saddle height and front to back position (twice), adjusted the handlebar angle, the stem height, the shoe cleats and the inner soles by using shims to angle the foot better inside the shoe. The have also given me several exercises to do to help with foot/knee alignment and pedal rotation. I know that you can readjust the shoe cleats, but I have never seen a bike shop shim your shoes so your feet are angled properly for more power. I actually noticed the difference immediately after the first fitting. Since then the difference has been remarkable. I feel like I can ride this bike all day and not get tired on it. I highly recommend this if you are going to do serious riding or long distance rides on a regular basis. If you don't have a LBS in your town that has the Retul fitting, it's well worth a little drive to somewhere that does.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily