Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Tool to hold valve while attaching pump hose
Anyone know a better way to get a pump hose attached to the valve stem (usually speaking of Schrader valve here for my bikes). I usually have to lube up the pump hose's stem with some spit or something then try to hold the valve (usually with pliers and a napkin so it doesn't bite too much) while pushing down with the pump hose. One of my pumps (12v car battery electric) works fine this way, but the other, just won't push well enough. I just want an easier way to hold the valve stem while pushing down. Pliers works but I want something gentler - perhaps plastic or rubber pliers. Something that won't accidentally grip too hard. My needlenose are kind of stiff and I might damage the valve stem. I would think someone else had this problem and that there is a tool. I have searched and I haven't yet found such a tool?

Just curious if anyone knows of a specific tool to use to hold the stem while pushing the pump hose on. It would be useful.
Thank you.
If the tyre tube is completely flat, I generally just press the valve out from the back, through the tyre if you see what I mean, with my thumb, while I push the pump on, then flip the lever on the pump head to lock it on. I've never come across a special tool.

Presta valves usually have a little knurled nut on the valve stem which stops it being pushed through the rim, which makes them a bit easier to use.
Your approach should work if it's completely flat. If it has air, perhaps I could just flatten it first, then use your method. I'll try that. Perhaps I can make a tool out of a coat hangar and a little rubber to make is soft. Then just squeeze it a little. I'll also try that next time. At least the electric pump I bought from Harbor FreightTools goes on and off pretty good, and it gradually adds air up to whatever pressure you want. Not a bad 12.95 I spent on that tool. Hooks into tje cigarette lighter of my car.
I just have to turn the car's generator on, but not the engine. It can go up to 250 psi and it does it slow so you don't blow up your tube at 70lbs or something.
Thanks for your idea and reply.

(08-08-2010, 01:00 PM)xerxes Wrote:  If the tyre tube is completely flat, I generally just press the valve out from the back, through the tyre if you see what I mean, with my thumb, while I push the pump on, then flip the lever on the pump head to lock it on. I've never come across a special tool.

Presta valves usually have a little knurled nut on the valve stem which stops it being pushed through the rim, which makes them a bit easier to use.
I must have inflated thousands of tubes in my time and have never found the need for a tool to hold the valve stem.
The only problem occurs on small wheels such as 12 1/2" x 2 1/4" where the spokes are close together, making it difficult to fit the inflater valve, for this, I use a brass adapter about 1 1/2" long with a right angle bend and a screwed head which fits onto the valve, can be bought in most bike and car shops.
Quote:Presta valves usually have a little knurled nut on the valve stem which stops it being pushed through the rim, which makes them a bit easier to use.

Schrader valves from Continental tubes do as well (at least the MTB ones do), which does make life easier. Personally I don't bother putting them on as it's more faff to get the tube off and I use the same method as Xerxes (though I sometimes sub my thumb for the floor) which makes them redundant anyway.
Thanks guys. I will look into the right angle adapter although I would have to put it on and off. And I should look into the knurled-nut trick, perhaps Continental's tubes would have it. Some of us have unique problems huh?

(08-09-2010, 11:55 AM)JonB Wrote:  
Quote:Presta valves usually have a little knurled nut on the valve stem which stops it being pushed through the rim, which makes them a bit easier to use.

Schrader valves from Continental tubes do as well (at least the MTB ones do), which does make life easier. Personally I don't bother putting them on as it's more faff to get the tube off and I use the same method as Xerxes (though I sometimes sub my thumb for the floor) which makes them redundant anyway.
I just found out that NAPA auto parts stores sell a pack of 4 valve extenders for 5.77. I have seen pictures of a nice metal one (silver in color), I hope that's what they have, but I guess plastic would be ok. So I guess that will solve the problem. What I needed was to know what it's called. Other companies probably have them. Glad I found them. I now realize others have had this problem of the valve stem "going back into the turtle's shell". Later on.

(08-09-2010, 09:02 AM)trevgbb Wrote:  I must have inflated thousands of tubes in my time and have never found the need for a tool to hold the valve stem.
The only problem occurs on small wheels such as 12 1/2" x 2 1/4" where the spokes are close together, making it difficult to fit the inflater valve, for this, I use a brass adapter about 1 1/2" long with a right angle bend and a screwed head which fits onto the valve, can be bought in most bike and car shops.

Possibly Related Threads...