Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Starter 29er from Wal-Mart
[attachment=1762]I just picked this one up a couple of days ago, I do love the rims not the color so much but the way they look.

Oh yea hello everyone looks like a good site I've been looking at a few different sites, but some of them are a little rude so I kinda passed them over.

James
(12-22-2010, 06:45 PM)jamcroc Wrote:  I just picked this one up a couple of days ago, I do love the rims not the color so much but the way they look.

Oh yea hello everyone looks like a good site I've been looking at a few different sites, but some of them are a little rude so I kinda passed them over.

James

I find the main thing about a bike is the frame and the way it fits the rider. Your bike looks like alloy so you should be fine.Nothing to be ashamed of guy. All the other components can be upgraded over time so that you end up with a top riding bike for little money. My daily runner that I do my 30 mile round trip on was bought for £4.00. Thats the carrera on my thread with the blue stem. I am 43 and picked up back riding 3 years ago. Since then I have been doing 30 miles a day and have lost 4 stones in weight in the process. I started off with some heavy steel bikes but you learn along the way what works. Just a little encouragement to anyone who wants to start biking again.
Welcome to the site,
Your paint job is not bad at all. Matches those wheels pretty nice Big Grin. I am jealous because I have yet to get me a 29'er lol. Again welcome and ride well!

Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I just bought this bike also and want to do some upgrades. Any Ideas? I do not have much money for expensive parts. Also great site!!!! I am a newbie when it comes to mountain bikes and just getting into riding. Thanks in advance
(01-19-2011, 05:41 PM)Thisizskeet Wrote:  I just bought this bike also and want to do some upgrades. Any Ideas? I do not have much money for expensive parts. Also great site!!!! I am a newbie when it comes to mountain bikes and just getting into riding. Thanks in advance

Just upgrade as stuff breaks. haha. That's what i've been doing for my bike.
It looks good, I still on a Bountyhunter by roadmaster that I got almost 20 years ago at Walmart (even if it was parked in the shed for almost 18 years) and I still enjoy riding it.
Have fun and just enjoy the ride
Ok I have my first issue Sad The bike will not go into all the gears its like something is stopping the gears from going into gear 3 which is the hardest.
(01-20-2011, 12:24 AM)Thisizskeet Wrote:  Ok I have my first issue Sad The bike will not go into all the gears its like something is stopping the gears from going into gear 3 which is the hardest.

The cable probably just stretched some. Bring the derailleur down to "gear 1" and then pull the slack out of the cable. Should work fine after that.
(01-20-2011, 02:34 AM)nameused Wrote:  
(01-20-2011, 12:24 AM)Thisizskeet Wrote:  Ok I have my first issue Sad The bike will not go into all the gears its like something is stopping the gears from going into gear 3 which is the hardest.

The cable probably just stretched some. Bring the derailleur down to "gear 1" and then pull the slack out of the cable. Should work fine after that.

Ok thanks I did that and it worked Smile
Hey, I bought my first bike at walmart too! I realized purty fast that I wanted a mountain bike instead of the street bike I bought, so I took it back! I love walmart.
It just dawned on me... are you people opposed to a bike mechanic putting together your lawn furniture?!! Big Grin
I sure hope. My riding time is limited, already! Smile

This post was made for fun. My dry humor oft gets me in trouble.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(07-29-2010, 01:02 PM)Ramzious Wrote:  ok... wearing my flame proof suit, but this is what I just bought a few days ago to get back into riding. I live in Florida and it is FLAT here so not much off road or trails and wasn't thinking of anything really strenuous on this.. but for $200 sounded like a bargain and it gets me on a bike again after 20 years.
A lot of people "Hate It or Love It" when it comes to Wal-Mart Bicycles. For me it is 50/50 depending on the Bike. I purchase a 29" Genesis 7 Speed Beach Cruiser, and had it tuned up first thing. However I soon discovered this Bike had a mind set set to self distruct no matter how well I took care of it and maintained it. Finally enough was enough! I took it back to the Store Manager and had a long talk with him about it. He let me upgrade at their expense to a more expensive 29" Genesis "Twent-One" Mountain Bike, and even let me swap out the padded bicycle seat. Again, I had it tuned up along with adding accessories, and fenders. Me and this bicycle have a good feeling toward each other. I keep it in my garage, two sets of Kryptonite lockes, well maintained weekly, and a wipe down with ArmorAll Ultra Shine Wipes. Even though it is off the rack and made in China. It performs just as well as the $1,000.00+ Bikes. Just remember, they come with a warranty. If you don't like it, or feel comfertable with it. Don't be afraid to take it back, and get one that you do like. The main thing is keeping it tuned up, and spend a few minutes checking the air pressure in your tires, brakes, and chain. That is more than half the battle there for a long useful Bike Life!
Ok just out of curiosity what advantage does a 29er have over the 26 inch MTB? I have thought of getting a new bike. 95% of my riding is to work and back (about 10 miles round trip) on paved roads. The other 5% is on the shoulder of the road and a gravel road I sometime take as a shortcut.
Have fun and just enjoy the ride
Fred? From the Show Me State?? Wink Smile Hi neighbor!
You'll find endless debates about 29rs vs 26" on the internet but, I'm here to show you for real, buddy! You can trust me. Smile.
The advantage of a 29" (700C) wheel is that, due to the larger diameter of the wheel, the 'attack angle' between tire and obstacle is reduced. Meaning that you can roll over it more easily. Think Monster Trucks. Same principle.
Also, simple physics come into play. Once in motion, a body with more mass tends to stay in motion . Compared to a 26" wheel, you'll expend more energy getting that big wheel up to speed but, once there, momentum kicks in and it's hard to stop a freight train. See? Now we need better brakes to slow this puppy down! More powerful braking technology tends to weigh more, but isn't always the case.
The advent of the 29" MTB by Gary Fisher back in the late 1990's created better 26" stuff, for sure!
29ers also tend to fit really tall riders a bit better.

I am 5'6" and ride a lot of technical singletrack with very tight switchbacks on steep slopes down here in Arkansas. To me, trying to negotiate a 29'r around some of those feels like driving a school bus!
By thier very nature, 29rs have a longer wheel-base. Like a school bus.

For commuting or gravel road ventures, a 29er should serve you well if you like that MTB "feel".
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Painkiller

01-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Painkiller