Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the August Giveaway for a brand new Street Bicycle Core Line fixed gear bike

Trigger shifter problems
First of all hello and wow what a great forum!
Secondly, I have an old GT Avalanche 1.0 disc circa 2001 and it has had a lot of use and abuse. I keep it well maintained and it looks almost brand new. Now on to the point of this post....
I am having problems going into my smaller gears, sometimes my trigger shifter shifts correctly and quickly, but sometimes I have to push the trigger shifter as far as it will go (its endpoint) to get it to shift, kinda like it is soft, but it does shift. I have found that if I put upward pressure on the trigger shifter while shifting into a smaller gear it will shift normally. Going into big gears is a non issue.
I hope this makes sense...
Thanks in advance,
Rich
Have you tried cleaning the shifter mechanism, they can gum up a bit and start to feel a bit stodgy, take a look at Alex's video: http://bikeride.com/rapid-fire-shifters/

Also, check that the cable runs as smoothly as possible in the cable outer as this effects how "snappy" indexed gears feel.
Cleaned up under the dust cover and that looks/feels like it did the trick. Thanks xerxes! And Thanks Alex for the vid!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Last Post: !TREK4ME!

05-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Bill