Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Mongoose XR-75
Well I know I had this one pictured with another bike under a different thread, but I felt it should have its own. Even though this would be considered a low end Department store bike I have to say it has stood up very well against off road abuse I have given it. Especially yesterday when I was doing some MTB Touring (if there is no such style there is now lol) and went through some deep water (about 1ft+), rocky terrain, un-mowed grassy hills, and almost sideswiped a tree lol. That one totaled about around 9.105miles. Not very far but very strenuous Big Grin .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
How many bikes do you have Bill?

Have you ever thought of trading a bunch of them in and getting yourself a couple of really special bikes? Perhaps a really nice hardtail for off road and a decent tourer for road and load lugging duty.
(08-07-2010, 10:15 AM)xerxes Wrote:  How many bikes do you have Bill?

Have you ever thought of trading a bunch of them in and getting yourself a couple of really special bikes? Perhaps a really nice hardtail for off road and a decent tourer for road and load lugging duty.

I have recently sold some of the ones I have posted here. The hardtails are nice! In fact I have a rather nice one here... http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1207.html that is on my projects plan to restore (with premium parts). Sure does look like a hunk of crap right now, but I am very confident in my restoration abilities to make it run as it did new Smile .

Anyways to answer your question properly, Yes this is a Chinese Cheapo that was sold by the handfuls around the world. Sure it was reassembled by people who don't know anything about Bicycle Mechanics then placed on a store floor for the first consumer to buy it at a very low price. It was my first "new" bike in a very very long time. The more I rode the more I liked and it suited my style for a while. Yes there have been issues with it which where minor and I corrected. You can bet that anything I have to replace on it will be of a much better quality then what it came with. If the frame breaks then it will be replaced from Pacific Cycle. As far as touring bikes I have my Schwinn Meridian Trike which has stood up well against things not meant to be done (that's a different story).

I do appreciate your input Smile . Who knows I may go with a higher end bike in the future, but for now I am content.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I'm not knocking you Bill, although when I said hardtail, I was thinking of something a bit more modern than your GT, perhaps something with front suspension. Smile
Lol I know you weren't knocking me down or anything my friend Smile . Have been looking at some hehe updated models and yes with front suspension Big Grin . One that has caught my eye is the Yeti Wink . Very expensive and looks very strong for off road. Just have to find the certain model. http://www.go-ride.com/SPD/yeti-303-rdh--8000291E-1228859066.jsp . There it is the 303 or something close. I really don't have $1500.00 yet, but I will keep wishing lol.
$1,500 and that's just for the frame - there's nothing like going from one extreme to the other! Smile

That's a seriously hardcore downhill machine, are you planning on doing many 10ft drop offs?

Here you go Bill, get practicing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3QQ7weVO6w&feature=related

Smile
HOT DANG!!!!!!!!! That is some serious awesome riding! First thank you very much for sharing , was rather a sweet video to see first thing in the morning. Hehe not gonna say I am that good, I'd be a liar and in the hospital. Gotta admit the Yeti is a pretty bike, but again that is only a wish list thing. I would more likely (reality hits) to try a 29er of something medium range to high end which ever is affordable. Though thanks again I am gonna watch that vid again Big Grin .
Dang is that you riding in that video xerxes? that's some serious cycling there!
(08-13-2010, 12:04 AM)kokopelli Wrote:  Dang is that you riding in that video xerxes? that's some serious cycling there!

I wish, to be perfectly honest, much as I enjoy cycling off road, I'm totally useless at more technical and stunt stuff, so I stick to some fairly tame cross country rides.

And the video doesn't look much like Kent in the UK. Smile
great looking bike !
great looking bike !
(12-15-2012, 08:57 PM)walshbrk Wrote:  great looking bike !

Why thank you. It has gotten some rust on it from use over time but I still have it. Been a good bike even though I put a hurting on it and still rides good.
Just sold it last week to a relative and it will be missed!
(05-17-2013, 12:51 AM)Bill Wrote:  Just sold it last week to a relative and it will be missed!

Hi Bill i'd guess that your relative would be bringing the bike back for an occasional tune-up so you'd get to ride it again, unless you built it so strong that nothing would ever break on it. Lots of the bikes I have sold still come back every now and then as the people I deal with are usually work colleagues neighbours, or friends of friends etc. Onto your next project then.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Bill

08-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Bill

08-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Painkiller