Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Specialized Epic Comp 29er
around 27 lbs. all geared up
Nice, that is a serious machine. I need to get my 29er in line.
I am taking it out for a ride tomorrow. I haven't been able to ride for two months because of my back. After two months of PT, I'm taking her out to a privately owned trail in town that is only open twice a year for races.
Oh damn you guys. I've got the funniest thing to tell you. I'll be back in a bit to post it.
Ok so if you missed the last episode. I injured by spine on a ride back in July. I have been off my bike for a long time, lots of PT, meds, and rest. SO. My doc gives me the ok to go ahead and ride a bit to see how it feels. Well I took it to a preview of a trail they race on twice a year. I felt absolutely great. I decided to come back the next day and race in the Novice category. (Just to say that I raced, that's all)

HALF MILE INTO THE COURSE I MISSED A TURN AND LAUNCHED 4 FEET DOWN ON SOLID ROCK.

Needless to say I had to walk the bike out, bruised and bleeding. Bend the rear wheel all to ****. Not sure about the other components. My shop is looking into a replacement for me now.

the pic is of my buddy carrying it for me after I made it to the spectators. (look at the wheel.)
Have a new hoop on order at my LBS. I'll be back out on the Trails soon!!
Ahh. hope you haven't done your back in again! You getting a replacement rim or are you upgrading?
Chuck Norris actually died 20 years ago, death just hasn't built up the courage to tell him yet.
They ordered me a replacement rim. Should be the exact same one. I'm on the fence now. I just found the entire wheel set on eBay for the same price they are charging me for the hoop. If I win this auction before they rebuild my wheel I'm going to tell them not to build it. Maybe just buy the hoop from them and use it to learn wheel building or something. I feel obligated because they ordered it for me, they are just taking FOREVER. It's been like 20 days.
(10-21-2010, 09:00 AM)Jordan300 Wrote:  They ordered me a replacement rim. Should be the exact same one. I'm on the fence now. I just found the entire wheel set on eBay for the same price they are charging me for the hoop. If I win this auction before they rebuild my wheel I'm going to tell them not to build it. Maybe just buy the hoop from them and use it to learn wheel building or something. I feel obligated because they ordered it for me, they are just taking FOREVER. It's been like 20 days.

Yeah I know the feeling, my LBS charge so much, they want 25 quid for a wheel to be trued, + they give you a set time for how long it will take to fix, + and if they take longer they charge you for storage!!!!
Chuck Norris actually died 20 years ago, death just hasn't built up the courage to tell him yet.
Wow that is a little disturbing ! If I were to true a wheel would tell the customer how long it would take then asked when they could pick it up. Also when I was done I would call the customer and advise them that their wheel was done. BUT if after a second call no response I would have it clearly stated at my shop and right off verbally telling them I may charge a small fee for storage I it had been two weeks with no customer return communication. Now if the customer says something like that they have not been able to make it in then I would hold on to it until they can get there. After a months time then I would get kind of irritated.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Well must LBS is the only one within many miles, so they can charge these stupid prices as they have no where else to go, pretty scam from the people who aren't in the know how with bikes.
Big news. Just got a the exact same wheel-set off eBay for $100 bucks. I sniped the auction. It was really lucky. So I told my LBS to hold off on building that wheel for me.
I went and picked up my bike from the shop. Everything else seems fine, the only damage was to the wheel. I dismantled the wheel and this is what I am left with.
My LBS has this bike assembled and show cased in the front window. I've been wanting to test it and finally they got a test bike in. Yesterday was my first ride after drooling over it for the last month or so. I really love this Bike. I can't wait to hear your opinion after riding it awhile. Please clue us in on the performance. I ride a 2010 Fuji Tahoe Pro 29'r hardtail and yes I love my ride too ...

Got a new wheel on it. Been riding it a lot. Love it. Now that I have my wheels back on I am contemplating a new wheel-set.
Glad you are back in action, mainly you as bikes are replaceable human body is not so much easier to fix . Either way glad to see you are ok.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Thanks bill. The injury has definitely put a hamper on my riding. I am riding a lot less. But hopefully the rest will help me next year when it warms up a bit. I'll have to take some photo's I have made a couple upgrades to my bike too.
Well nevermind the Private message I sent ya here it is. Depending on deals I can make I will see if I can get one of these used or something else new.
I think the reason you guys love your bike so much is because of this..
A Horst link is a mountain-bike suspension link designed by 'Horst' Leitner of AMP Research in Irvine California. Horst Leitner was the tech pioneer of mountain-bikes and developed the suspension system way back at the beginning of the mountain bike era. He also invented the AMP forks and the first effective disc brake system for mountainbikes.
The Horst rear suspension link patent was sold to and is now owned by Specialized bicycles and called the FSR Link.
The Horst link places a pivot about 25mm forward of and 25mm below the rear axel on the mountain bike's swingarm. This seperates the braking forces from the suspension forces and allows the bike's rear suspension to remain active and neutral when the rear brakes are applied. Normal designs stiffen up when the rear brakes are applied and this causes a trait known as 'Brake-Jack'. The bike loses much of it's suspension when going downhill over bumps when the brakes are applied. The Horst link stops this brake jack effect. The Horst link also prevents pedal induced bobbing by also removing the chain's leverage effect overthe rear swing-arm. This means better pedaling and traction uphill.
The Horst link is probably the best Mountain bike rear suspension design and it is strongly defended by its patent owners who only licence select companies. The original Horst link bike made by Horst Leitner's company AMP-Research was last made as the Mercedes-Benz B5 and is no longer in production.
Horst also made a linkage fork (AMP-Research F4 BLT) which also enjoys many advantages over tele forks. They are no longer made and have become 'Hot Property' on eBay fetching many times their original purchase price.
it appears very similar even after 20 some years because it is still one of the best
still love mine and I love the AMP fork
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Last Post: RobAR

08-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Painkiller

05-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Last Post: mrdunk