Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Mix it up
Hello I have done a little searching and not come across a answer I have also done the google thing and nothing pops up. I have a 2002 GF Marlin I am the orginal owner and I am a bad person. I rode my Marlin without ever having it tuned up or having replaced the chain. I rode the poor thing for 12 to 20 miles daily for the last 8 years on and off and things started to get real nasty. Lots of squeaks and squeals and chain skip. SO I decided to do the right thing and do a complete rebuild.

Now I am a father of 3 and a husband and the owner of 9 animals so I had to do the rebuild as thrifty as possible. So now we come to the problem. I have replaced all cables and housings I replaced the cassette with the original model and the I am reusing all shifters and brakes (new pads). I rebuilt the original RD with new jockey wheels. I rebuilt the wheels (bearings and springs) and replaced the tubes and tires. I have replaced the BB with the original model as well. The chain is a original model replacement.

Now for the fun I replaced the crank with a different crank. I had to buy a FC-TX50. I am using the original Alevio trigger shifters and I bought a SRAM 3.0 7-8 speed derailleur to replace the original because the orginal had a plate that was held in place by the BB and then the FD was mounted to that. This posed a problem with the new crank and the chain, not enough space between the plate and the smallest cog. So the problem is that I cannot seem to get the FD close enough to the big cog, the mount ring it turns out will not fit around my tube with the plastic sizers and then when I remove them there seems to be bolt (water bottle mounts) holes that are interfering with the mount ring.

So first question is will all of these parts work together. Does this crank require a longer shaft on the BB? Will the SRAM 3.0 work with the Shimano Alevio trigger shifters? Does the FD have to be 1 to 2 mm from the largest cog on the crank? Thank you to all of the very intelligent folks on this forum and I look forward to any and all suggestion and will be more that happy to answer any questions. Good day.
Is there anyway possible you could provide a picture of the setup?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(06-18-2010, 07:01 PM)Bill Wrote:  Is there anyway possible you could provide a picture of the setup?

Well I finally found the answer it looks like SRAM and Shimano are not compatible. Well isn't that a fine howdy do. So I guess I am going online to the ol' Bay and looking for a Shimano FD, that will fit on my seat tube. Do I just take a tape measure and wrap it around the tube to get the diameter? Thanks for the forums and all of the great topics.
Quote:Well I finally found the answer it looks like SRAM and Shimano are not compatible. Well isn't that a fine howdy do.

No they're not, SRAM needs to be paired with SRAM shifters, this popped up in another thread earlier: http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1672.html

Quote:So I guess I am going online to the ol' Bay and looking for a Shimano FD, that will fit on my seat tube. Do I just take a tape measure and wrap it around the tube to get the diameter?

No, that will give you the circumference Smile, divide that by 3.1415 to find the diameter.
(06-21-2010, 11:46 AM)xerxes Wrote:  
Quote:Well I finally found the answer it looks like SRAM and Shimano are not compatible. Well isn't that a fine howdy do.

No they're not, SRAM needs to be paired with SRAM shifters, this popped up in another thread earlier: http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1672.html

Quote:So I guess I am going online to the ol' Bay and looking for a Shimano FD, that will fit on my seat tube. Do I just take a tape measure and wrap it around the tube to get the diameter?

No, that will give you the circumference Smile, divide that by 3.1415 to find the diameter.

Yup I just read it this morning, I wish I had found it earlier, like before I bought it... Oh well maybe it will come in handy one day for somebody else, it was pretty inexpensive. Smile
So I found a New SHIMANO Tourney FD-TX50 Front Derailleur for a nice price but it says that it is a 6/7 speed and the problem is that I have a 8 speed. Is this a deal breaker. Also the FD is right for my 42t outer sprocket. Thanks for folks time and replies.
Quote:So I found a New SHIMANO Tourney FD-TX50 Front Derailleur for a nice price but it says that it is a 6/7 speed and the problem is that I have a 8 speed. Is this a deal breaker. Also the FD is right for my 42t outer sprocket. Thanks for folks time and replies.

The mech movement is actually determined by the shifters, so these must be suitable for the number of sprockets you have.

Cassettes and freewheels that have different number of sprockets have a variety of different widths and spacer thicknesses. I would be inclined to check the manufacturers details carefully and not mix and match unless you're sure a combination works.

Have a read of these:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
(06-21-2010, 01:03 PM)xerxes Wrote:  
Quote:So I found a New SHIMANO Tourney FD-TX50 Front Derailleur for a nice price but it says that it is a 6/7 speed and the problem is that I have a 8 speed. Is this a deal breaker. Also the FD is right for my 42t outer sprocket. Thanks for folks time and replies.

The mech movement is actually determined by the shifters, so these must be suitable for the number of sprockets you have.

Cassettes and freewheels that have different number of sprockets have a variety of different widths and spacer thicknesses. I would be inclined to check the manufacturers details carefully and not mix and match unless you're sure a combination works.

Have a read of these:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

Okay xerxes I read the information by Mr. Brown but it does not really answer my question. I see where he says that a RD does not care if a cassette has 7 speeds or 10 speeds. My question is more towards the front. If the FD is designed for a crank with 3 sprockets with the outer one being 42f which is what my Shimano Tourney has plus the shifters are designed for 3 as well, should it really matter if the cassette has 7 or 8 gears? Thank you so much for your knowledge and the opportunity to dialog with you.
Quote:My question is more towards the front. If the FD is designed for a crank with 3 sprockets with the outer one being 42f which is what my Shimano Tourney has plus the shifters are designed for 3 as well, should it really matter if the cassette has 7 or 8 gears?

No, the small differences in the widths of cassettes won't effect the front mech. There's only a 6.5mm difference between the old 5 speeds and the later 10 speeds.
(06-21-2010, 01:58 PM)xerxes Wrote:  
Quote:My question is more towards the front. If the FD is designed for a crank with 3 sprockets with the outer one being 42f which is what my Shimano Tourney has plus the shifters are designed for 3 as well, should it really matter if the cassette has 7 or 8 gears?

No, the small differences in the widths of cassettes won't effect the front mech. There's only a 6.5mm difference between the old 5 speeds and the later 10 speeds.

Awesome that is what I was thinking. It will probably require adjusting quite often but it should work, besides I usually keep things at the 3 and 8 or the 2 and 4, that tends to keep things in the straightest line.