Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

A rant, I guess
I definitely need a new bike. Or new gears/brakes/derailleur/tires on mine.
I'm sure that anyone who pays attention to the help threads and has seen my posts could see that.

A coworker, who got me into bikes, found a really nice road bike that had been abandoned in a parking lot for about a week with no seat on it (He saw me eyeing it up, and dragged it into the basement at work, put a seat on it from one of my other bikes, and told me I should take to replace my two really crappy bikes). I rode it for about a week, and I loved it. Super responsive brakes, easy to use gears, just all around a good bike. I took it to school, locked it up, went to class, and when I came out, the seat my friend had put on it (including my tail light) and the bolts holding on the front tire were gone, and the chain was partway removed, and there was a note that said "**** you for stealing my bike."

I don't think I've felt that bad in a very long time. I took my lock off the bike and left another note that said "Sorry, I didn't know it was stolen, a friend gave it to me." and left.

just an all around bad day. I'm too broke to get a bike with brakes that work (My first comment after riding this bike was that I'm not used to stopping when I pull the brakes), and if I drop my bike off to have the brakes fixed, I have no transportation to and from work and school. My bike shop (and I imagine most of the others in the city) is in its busy season, so same-day pickup will not be happening.

I just don't know what to do with myself. My rear brake doesn't work at all, and the front brake sort of works, but even when the brakes are super tight, the rim just slides through the brake pads. Of course, I live at the top of a bunch of hills. The soles on my shoes are only so thick. I put on a cheap pair today, and just from using my feet to stop in addition to brakes for one day, the soles are almost completely worn out.

Just complaining, I guess. I got a taste of a good bike, and now my bike will never be as good as it used to be.
Ok you said your friend got it out of a parking lot that was sitting their for one full week? You should not feel bad for something some one else LEFT for rust. Rule of thumb tells me, if this is the situation, that this person who "STOLE" your seat and tail light was just mad because you got it work. By law I would say the bike was yours. If it truly was the thief's bike he would have done differently then taking your seat to get his bike back! So look at it like this, if the dude or dudette left a note like that and TOOK something that did not belong to them (your seat and tail light) then why did they not simply leave a note saying please contact me at blah blah blah because this bike was stolen from blah blah blah? Or contact the Police? Personally, I would have kept the bike put a different seat on it and left another note saying if you do not return my seat I am going to turn the video tape of you taking my seat to the Police! BUT YOU DID THE RIGHT THING I GUESS! For the most part do not feel bad. I would keep checking on the bike on where you left it and if it is not taken with in a reasonable amount of time then check with the police to see how many days a person had to claim their property if it is abandoned in a public area. Wink .

Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
It was gone the next time I went there. I don't care much for the seat, it wasn't very comfortable, but my ride to work is usually sometime between 2-3am, and without lights, it's very dangerous. I just can't afford new ones.

My guess is that it was stolen, then abandoned, when he found it, and the owner recognized it, got pissed off, and did some irrational things. I'm just going to try to buy a new bike. This one was really nice. It was a road bike with thin tires, but they were treaded like a mountain bike's tires would be. Great for me, because I'm uneasy about smooth road bike tires (I'm always afraid I'll slip, although that could happen no matter the tires). It was just a legit, great bike.
(06-04-2010, 03:21 PM)ಠ_ಠ Wrote:  It was gone the next time I went there. I don't care much for the seat, it wasn't very comfortable, but my ride to work is usually sometime between 2-3am, and without lights, it's very dangerous. I just can't afford new ones.

My guess is that it was stolen, then abandoned, when he found it, and the owner recognized it, got pissed off, and did some irrational things. I'm just going to try to buy a new bike. This one was really nice. It was a road bike with thin tires, but they were treaded like a mountain bike's tires would be. Great for me, because I'm uneasy about smooth road bike tires (I'm always afraid I'll slip, although that could happen no matter the tires). It was just a legit, great bike.

Oh sorry to hear though , this time if you see the same bike you can asked the person to return your tail light at least. Check around on garbage day in the neighbor hood. Not saying to go dumpster diving just to look around. If you find a good frame you can build one up. You said your bud fixes up old bikes? See if you can help him fix a couple in trade for a decent one. I understand times are tough with this economy and all just trying to lift your spirits. Also wanted to say that people with cars do not understand that many of us use bikes as our cars! It is our way of transportation because we either can not afford the price of a car payment, insurance, plates, inspection, repairs, and most of all fuel. Then ya get the twits that say ,'Oh there is public transportation!". Yea, this is true and very crowded let alone dangerous in some places. Not sure if the times have changed but I would like one of those people to ride a subway in New York City (bad crime areas) around 2-3am. They would change their minds rather quickly. Hehe anyone ever had to wait for a backup bus in Washington D.C. Greyhound bus terminal late at night? I did that was like 1989 and very uneasy! So anyways when one rides a bike they should take pride in it, your Specialized is equal to a Harley Davidson or 1969 Ford Fast Back Mustang!

Going on last week I overheard some guy sitting on his porch say (pointing at me),"That guy acts like a kid!". I thought to myself a very negative phrase to reply with, but instead thought,"Yea that is me and I am not embarrassed about". Just wish I would have never gave up riding. If the guy sitting on his bum would give up smoking and get on a bike he may live a little longer instead of shortening his life span. Not really my business because I ride MTB, Road, and Touring. Ughhh ooops sorry got off track.

Be patient your bike is out there somewhere.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
yeah, in Pittsburgh, the buses stop running between 1-5am, which is my commute time. Either ride a bike or take a 2 hour walk downhill (the walk downhill hurts my hips and shoulders a lot). Riding a bike is more fun than the walk (or the bus, were it running).

I went to the shop today and picked up a pair of lights for about $12. Not too bad, I guess. I got an estimate of about $70 to replace my brakes. I'm looking on craigslist for an inexpensive bike, but I'm a bit worried about that since the whole diamond ring thing went down.

Luckily, with it being finals week at school, I'll be staying at school till about 11pm, then going straight to work and sleeping there until my shift starts, so at least I can avoid the hills, if only for a few days.
(06-04-2010, 06:16 PM)ಠ_ಠ Wrote:  I went to the shop today and picked up a pair of lights for about $12. Not too bad, I guess. I got an estimate of about $70 to replace my brakes. I'm looking on craigslist for an inexpensive bike, but I'm a bit worried about that since the whole diamond ring thing went down.

Yikes, is the $70 just for the brakes? What else would you need to fix right now? If just fixing the brakes gets you riding safely, and you don't need to shell out a few hundred more in the next couple of months, I'd say fix the current bike.

BTW, there's no need to fear Craigslist any more than any other way of dealing with strangers, just use caution; ask to meet at a convenient public place, NOT the parking lot of an apartment complex or shopping center. Try "I'm a student, can you meet me at school?", if the seller insists you come to their house, scope it out on Google maps street-view and politely decline if you don't like what you see. If you do go to their place, bring a friend, or your gun or dog or all of the above.

(And please, let's not hijack this thread into a pro/con gun debate).
-Billy
This might be a couple replies but lets starrt here.. y7ou use Roller cam brakes for your rear brakes? Here is one on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/SUNTOUR-XC-CUNNINGHAM-ROLLER-CAM-MTB-Bike-Brake-Brake-/140413112370?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b1461032 .

Can you get a picture of your front brakes or are they the same as the back? Note I was looking from your Show off your bike thread.... http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1110.html

Or are you talking about just the cables and pads? If it is cables and pads then man those are consumables (sorry Joe had to use your word) and rather cheap to replace. Walmart should carry the cables and pads, just have to take a day to stop by and get them. Replacing them are very easy. If your calipers are sticky just clean them with solvent and a toothbrush (wire brush works better).
the entire front/back braking system needs to be replaced. The $70 is a high estimate for the total (of parts and labor). The braking system is about $30, and the guy at my shop said it would probably close to the same in labor.
(06-05-2010, 02:08 PM)ಠ_ಠ Wrote:  the entire front/back braking system needs to be replaced. The $70 is a high estimate for the total (of parts and labor). The braking system is about $30, and the guy at my shop said it would probably close to the same in labor.

Well there ya go save yourself the 40 and do it yourself. Honestly they really are not that hard. But then again for 40.00 or 70.00 you can get yourself a lower end bike brand new. Wink
well, the shop I go to has refurbished bikes, all quality parts, but they start around $200.
My friend (who found the stolen bike) has a shop in his hometown that sells him super quality bikes for much less than they're worth. He got a $1000 cannondale road bike for ~$200. I'd rather have one of those and pay him back in installments than spending a few months saving up to buy a used bike for the same price.
(06-06-2010, 02:41 PM)ಠ_ಠ Wrote:  well, the shop I go to has refurbished bikes, all quality parts, but they start around $200.
My friend (who found the stolen bike) has a shop in his hometown that sells him super quality bikes for much less than they're worth. He got a $1000 cannondale road bike for ~$200. I'd rather have one of those and pay him back in installments than spending a few months saving up to buy a used bike for the same price.

There you go talk to him I am sure he may be able to work something out with ya!
thats why you should always rattle can a bike someone gave you haha