Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Columbia Dream Machine (reborn)
Ok all here is one bike I did not picture or show because it was my first total restore project. I will show the before pictures then list everything I did to it on a second thread. .
BEFORE PICS PART 2....
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Ok here is the after picture with My very first paint job EVER...... (Would like to thank KC-Steve for consultation on the paint job!)
After Pics part two!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Here is what I did to the bike. As I disassembled everything one piece at a time I immediately either put the part in a box or put it aside to assess if it needed replaced.
Seat - Is the original as the newer one has not come in yet.
Handlebars - Cleaned with rust removal procedure
Crank - Original, was bent slightly on top ring, cleaned.
Bottom Bracket - Cups, bearings, etc. removed redone.
Headset - Bearings replaced, crown race replaced, cups had to reused due to no availability (were
still in great condition)
Brakes - Calipres are new old stock (luckily found some online), new cables, new pads, same levers
(cleaned up very nice a few pits here and there).
Shifters - Replaced, new cables.
Rear Derailler - Reconditioned (take apart same method as Alex shows on video, also submerged
complete assembly in solvent and clean thoroughly).
Front Derailler - Recondition (same method RD) *Could have replaced but was no need to.*
Rear Wheel - Truing was a monster, in time wheel will be replaced.
Front Wheel - Truing came out nicely. Probably will replace with rear as pair.
Tires - Need to be replaced, ok for now Tongue .
Inner Tubes - Were replaced.
Hubs (Front and Rear) - Were installed with new bearings and outer hardware, axles same.
Freehub - This was rather a pain, it was the one shown here in this video http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1230.html
and for the life of me could not find ANYWHERE (even asked Calvin Jones of Park Tools)
how to remove the freehub assembly. I improvised and got lubed well though.
Chain - Check it with a CC-1 and the CC-3 for wear and was in really good shape. Cleaned it after
removing it in solvent and came out nicely.
Painting it was another story lol. With everyones help from another thread I used chemical remover to take off the old paint and such. This gets pretty messy and should be done in a well ventilated area. Then I put 2 coats of primer, sand each coat. Next came the paint which was 2 coats sanding in between each one. Then after drying time I put on the clear coat. I stayed with using the same kind of primer, paint, and clear coat, Rust-Oleum. There are some flaws in it but as I stated it was my first paint job. This was not the whole process listed but pretty much outlined.
Frame alignment - I used the Park FAG-2 to check the frame alignment and it was great.
Forks - These I had to bring back in to place using the Park FFG-1.
Chain line - This was easily accomplished by using the Park CLG-2.

Other then that still have to put on the drop tape, adjust the cables, and few other minor things and hopefully I can sell it! Smile
Bill, what an incredibly beautiful job you have done! The dedication you and others display on this forum in restoring old bikes and bringing them back into a second life is truly amazing. Keep it up!
WOW, very nice Bill. Your choice of color works well with that bike giving it an air of being antique (retro). As I mentioned to you though, for the benefit of others, black is a VERY unforgiving color showing faults more than other colors do.

VERY IMPRESSIVE paint job for anyone, not just first-timer. Your hard work shows. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Great Job!!!! Looks really good!!
Bill,

The bike looks great! I hope my first paint project will turn out successful as well. Besides the primer, paint, clear coat products, what did you use to actually paint and where do you get these paints for bikes? Spray tools? And what did you use to take the old paint off? Cloth? Silly questions I'm sure, I just want to accomplish this project correctly Smile
Wh0a. Nice Job Bill. Did you paint that your self?
Thanks to everyone for the compliments. I will sit down and put in order and a list of the things I did on the paint job. Yes I did do all the painting myself and it was my first paint job ever. I will post a reply to the things I did. So again thank you Smile
wow! all that great work and you're gonna, (or did already) sell it? You don't want to keep it to show off? Great restoration job!
(05-15-2010, 09:35 PM)Bill Wrote:  Thanks to everyone for the compliments. I will sit down and put in order and a list of the things I did on the paint job. Yes I did do all the painting myself and it was my first paint job ever. I will post a reply to the things I did. So again thank you Smile

Hi Bill it looks as if you are trying to overtake me as the number one restorer on the site but no worries mate congratulations on that nice rebuild. I really enjoy seeing a bicycle transformed when I look at the before and after pictures.
I just started the long awaiting 1965 Armstrong 3spd Sturmey Archer 26" today Big Grin . Nah not trying to overtake ya Wink. I do again say thank you all for the compliments. Everyone here can do a job like this, just takes some time and dedication. From my point of view, hcjg you had ALOT more time in yours then I do. Polishing metal to shine like it is some dedication!

Reason I am selling it is I have a much better bike on the way that I am going to put everything I know into. Someone here already seen a pic of it. At any rate I really do appreciate hearing the compliments, and to the ones who have fixed up their ride I always try to leave a compliment back Smile .