Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Surly Cross-Check
Here's my Surly Cross-Check ... I love this bike !!

Originally purchased as a compromise, do-it-all bike to replace several others, it's become my favorite ride, anywhere, anytime.

It's pretty stock except for the long-cage derailer, 11-34 cassette and a wider bottom bracket and granny gear.
'09 Redline Monocog
'08 Surly Cross-Check
?? Schwinn Heavy Duti
I love Surly frames when the wife isn't draining the bank account one I’m all in favour of Granny gears especially after a long day.
Very nice bike! Snow riding is awesome, except when there is ice underneath it lol. Again nice bike Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(05-05-2010, 09:43 PM)Bill Wrote:  Very nice bike! Snow riding is awesome, except when there is ice underneath it lol. Again nice bike Smile

Thanks, Bill !!

I got tired of falling on the ice so I got some Nokian W106 studded tires for the winter and didn't fall after that. What a difference studs make !!
'09 Redline Monocog
'08 Surly Cross-Check
?? Schwinn Heavy Duti
Your welcome Jason,
Those are cool tires to have, another member Joe_W had studded tires and kept a decent journal in this post which was really cool information....
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-8.html#post-2994
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
What bags do you have on it? Nice bike for sure I have the Surly LHT 2009 model in olive green.
(05-06-2010, 01:46 PM)Surly LHT Wrote:  What bags do you have on it?Nice bike for sure I have the Surly LHT 2009 model in olive green.

I have Nashbar bags on my bike. The rear panniers are their "ATB Panniers" and I have their front bag and also a frame bag.

I used to not have a very high opinion of Nashbar stuff but I've been extremely pleased with their house-brand stuff. I have three sets of their panniers -- the ATB ones and also two sets of their "Day Trekker" panniers.

My brake pads recently needed to be replaced so I ordered some of their house-brand cantilever brakes with the pads already mounted to them. They were on sale for $19.99 and come with new straddle cables and other assorted hardware.

The cantis appear to be the same as the stock Tektro Oryx cantis and the pads are pretty decent Tektro-brand pads.

Nashbar has good stuff, their shipping is cheap and quick and, overall, I recommend their stuff to anyone who will listen. I'm don't work for them or anything ... just making a positive product endorsement.

I got my studded Nokians from Peter White Cycles. Shipping was expensive but very fast.
'09 Redline Monocog
'08 Surly Cross-Check
?? Schwinn Heavy Duti
just ordered my Cross Check. What is the largest tire you ever put on it. I will build mine with a lot of parts laying around and plan on doing the Great All. Passage this year on it.
(01-08-2011, 06:24 PM)wvridgerider Wrote:  just ordered my Cross Check. What is the largest tire you ever put on it. I will build mine with a lot of parts laying around and plan on doing the Great All. Passage this year on it.

I have 41mm tires on it now. I think my studded tires are closer to 44-45mm. I think that's about as wide as you can go. Good luck with your bike -- it's my favorite and a wonderful, comfortable, do-it-all bike.
'09 Redline Monocog
'08 Surly Cross-Check
?? Schwinn Heavy Duti
(04-23-2010, 07:33 AM)surly jason Wrote:  Here's my Surly Cross-Check ... I love this bike !!

Originally purchased as a compromise, do-it-all bike to replace several others, it's become my favorite ride, anywhere, anytime.

It's pretty stock except for the long-cage derailer, 11-34 cassette and a wider bottom bracket and granny gear.

I will look forward to riding it there in Pittsburgh when I am up there.
Sweet ride bro!
Just took a good look at the picture. I can see much of that same view from my office window. Out building is just below that clock on the hillside.
(01-10-2011, 11:50 AM)RBurrelli Wrote:  Just took a good look at the picture. I can see much of that same view from my office window. Out building is just below that clock on the hillside.

I bet Jason and RB work at QBP. Or wish they did! All I have is a "I'm With Big Dummy" t-shirt.
You guys know of The Front Porch Swinging Liquor Pigs?
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Quote:I bet Jason and RB work at QBP. Or wish they did! All I have is a "I'm With Big Dummy" t-shirt.
You guys know of The Front Porch Swinging Liquor Pigs?

You have me baffled with that one Rob. Does that have something to do with Pittsburgh?
Got a used '08 CC back last April 23rd. Same Misty Grey color. I've logged over 1400 miles since. Commuting to work, groceries w/ trailer, social rides and a little soft trail riding around the lake.
Breaks are in need of replacing. Googled "brake pads for surly cross check" and his forum was the first hit.
Great advice, and much appreciated. Nashbar still has the same break set for $19.99.
Gracias y Adios
RunZilla
Austin TX
Photo on request Smile
I got two sets of those Nashbar brake sets and have used them both up. Good stuff but I decided to try kool stop salmon pads with my new wheels.

Post up some pics of your bike. I don't see too many of the gray Cross-Checks. Here's a couple more of mine from this summer.
'09 Redline Monocog
'08 Surly Cross-Check
?? Schwinn Heavy Duti
Well if the salmon pads are better bang for the buck, I'll def go for those.
Enjoy the pix. [attachment=1833]
Wow, it's weird to see a "naked" Cross-Check. It looks so different ... and so lightweight.
'09 Redline Monocog
'08 Surly Cross-Check
?? Schwinn Heavy Duti
Thanks.
The only things I've added is a rear rack and front/rear blinky lights. Oh yea and the Sure Grip Pedals, this way I don't need to change shoes on my commute and I don't go "clikity-clack" as I walk.
I hope this next pic isn't too large. It's just me and a few friends at the Capitol steps.
(01-18-2011, 03:00 PM)RunZilla Wrote:  Thanks.
The only things I've added is a rear rack and front/rear blinky lights. Oh yea and the Sure Grip Pedals, this way I don't need to change shoes on my commute and I don't go "clikity-clack" as I walk.
I hope this next pic isn't too large. It's just me and a few friends at the Capitol steps.

haha just a "few" Tongue