Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Cable covering/housing
The cables on my bike need to be replaced and probably the housings as well. I watched all the videos already. I might just bring the cables to the LBS to get new ones made but I like to do these things myself and learn.

On my bike (1991 Fuji Suncrest) there is a real thin black sleeve (not the normal housing) that covers the cables and serves as a "slide" at points. I have normal housings from brake and shifter to top tube and at rear derailleur. At the front derailleur and at the back brake there is no normal housing just that sleeve that goes through a couple guides. Those guides are not a normal size nor do they have a place to put a normal housing. Would the LBS carry something like this? The one at the front derailleur is already dry/cracked/broken not to mention my cables are rusty and there is probably dirt in these areas. Still shifts and brakes fine as I tried to keep them lubricated as best as possible. This small sleeve makes it difficult to move the normal housings never mind trying to get that area cleaned and re-lubed for full length of cable.

I can try to get a picture if it helps.
The thin sleeves were used to prevent grime and dirt from accreting on the cables, I have not seen them in a while. The modern sensible solution is cable sets that are completely (well, almost) encapsulated, e.g. by Gore. The thin sleeves are not really essential for dérailleur operation, you can omit them (well, assuming we're talking about the same things).
(04-11-2010, 11:18 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  The thin sleeves were used to prevent grime and dirt from accreting on the cables, I have not seen them in a while. The modern sensible solution is cable sets that are completely (well, almost) encapsulated, e.g. by Gore. The thin sleeves are not really essential for dérailleur operation, you can omit them (well, assuming we're talking about the same things).

Thanks! I just sent Gore/Rideon and email about them. The sealed system with that inner sleeve/liner looks like it would be perfect for how my cables run. Probably not cheap either but since I have no normal housing attachment points by my bottom bracket and seat post for derailleur and brakes I hope that that sleeve will work as a mini housing letting it slide easily.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Last Post: jimkjr

dykestra
08-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Surly LHT

04-05-2010, 06:08 PM