Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Cutting brake/housing
my bike rear brake cable got cut off :/ , but i just bought a universal brake cable that comes with housing too. but my question is. what should i use to cut the cable and housing after i measured the length of my old one? side cutter? or should i use my old housing?
Gah! Just saw you opened another thread for this... here is my repost.

I usually go to the LBS with the bike, they estimate the correct length, cut the housing, (roughly) clean the cut and sometimes throw in the ferrules for free. Be sure to use good cable cutters (or special hosing cutters) and tidy up the cut with a file (to make it flat) and an awl (to open the housing again).

Oh, and if the old housing is still in a good condition you can use it. Since housing is not really expensive I usually go for new housing.
(03-17-2010, 04:03 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  Gah! Just saw you opened another thread for this... here is my repost.

I usually go to the LBS with the bike, they estimate the correct length, cut the housing, (roughly) clean the cut and sometimes throw in the ferrules for free. Be sure to use good cable cutters (or special hosing cutters) and tidy up the cut with a file (to make it flat) and an awl (to open the housing again).

Oh, and if the old housing is still in a good condition you can use it. Since housing is not really expensive I usually go for new housing.

Big Grin sorry, i just joined and accidentally posted this thread on wrong topic, but got moved by a mod.

but yeah, Thanks but should i use side cutter instead of cable cutter?
Use a good cable cutter for the housing for sure. Side cutter usually squish it too much. Here's a video that may also help: http://bikeride.com/replace-cable-housings/
(03-17-2010, 03:35 PM)Alex Ramon Wrote:  Use a good cable cutter for the housing for sure. Side cutter usually squish it too much. Here's a video that may also help: http://bikeride.com/replace-cable-housings/

what if i use side cutter, then use an awl?
You could give it a try like that, but I would use some old cable housing first to see if it works.
(03-17-2010, 03:58 PM)Alex Ramon Wrote:  You could give it a try like that, but I would use some old cable housing first to see if it works.

oh ok thanks man! btw should i use my old housing? my old housing is still in good condition, no bents etc. or should i replace a new one?
If the old one is still in good shape you should be able to use it. Drop some light oil like triflow into the housing before you slide in the new inner wire.
oo ok thank you very much man! helped me a lot to improve my bike.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-24-2016, 11:09 PM
Last Post: ajstevo

05-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Last Post: jimkjr

03-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Last Post: RBurrelli