Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Newbie alert!
Morning!

Thought I'd introduce myself before I'm knee deep in sprockets and begging for help!

I've cycled for longer than I care to remember (used to do triathlons till my back forced me to stop running!) but have never done all that much regarding the maintenance of my bike - used to hand it over to the shop to fix! However times change and I'm about to service our 2 bikes and learn about their maintenance ready for a 12 month motorhoming & cycling extravaganza around the coast of mainland GB. Can't afford for the shop to do it and anyway when we're in the wilds of Scotland we're going to have to be self sufficient so best learn it now eh?

Our bikes are probably archaic by your standards - I have a Marin San Rafael and OH has a Raleigh Outback. But they're both good bikes and just need a little TLC. Plan is to read and research in here, top up on any tools and consumables I'm lacking and set about the task over Easter.

Thanks in advance for any and all help! Smile
Welcome and good luck with your maintenance.
Along with Joe to add just ask away Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Welcome to this place if you need help you have came to the right place some can get you going up to speed/And you are so right you will need to know what to do when the both you and your better half are out on the road good luck and best of all have a great time riding.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Welcome aboard, you've picked a great place to come.

I've not been long here myself and have found it an excellent, friendly resource for tips and advice on maintaining my bike, nothing beats that feeling of fixing a bike yourself, knowing you've done a thorough job and you've saved yourself money on labour charges to boot.

Good luck on the tour of mainland GB.
Cannondale, handmade in USA............................................Refined in Surrey, England.
- Cannondale F500, Kona Blast, Kona Caldera-
Hey Good for you. Wow Scotland , I love the world wide membership here.

Wish more members put that info in their FAQ

Do not knock your bikes those are good solid bikes and with some TLC are
worth hanging onto. The new bikes are a mixed bag.They don't make them like they used to.

Lots of info here and other sites and lots of knowledgeable people ready to give advice. You may find the two bikes may need some different tools. You buy the tools only once, and fix lots of times.Well not too much one hopes.:-))
Good Luck
Never Give Up!!!
(03-21-2010, 04:19 AM)Bellis Wrote:  Morning!

Thought I'd introduce myself before I'm knee deep in sprockets and begging for help!

I've cycled for longer than I care to remember (used to do triathlons till my back forced me to stop running!) but have never done all that much regarding the maintenance of my bike - used to hand it over to the shop to fix! However times change and I'm about to service our 2 bikes and learn about their maintenance ready for a 12 month motorhoming & cycling extravaganza around the coast of mainland GB. Can't afford for the shop to do it and anyway when we're in the wilds of Scotland we're going to have to be self sufficient so best learn it now eh?

Our bikes are probably archaic by your standards - I have a Marin San Rafael and OH has a Raleigh Outback. But they're both good bikes and just need a little TLC. Plan is to read and research in here, top up on any tools and consumables I'm lacking and set about the task over Easter.

Thanks in advance for any and all help! Smile

Welcome pull up a chair and sit around a while and click on the repair guide lot's of good information there.
Also recommend Zinn & the art of road bike maintenance by Lennard Zinn.

Remember it's mind over matter
if you don't mind it doesn't matter

Ride more drive less
Scottish babes are shy unless they have whiskey in a jar o, I think? Wink

Welcome to BT, Bellis. We can do 'archaic' (KC Steve) or ... back to the question...
What tools do you already have? Include multi-tools like the Topeak Alien, etc.

Edit: a year old thread? I fell for it but, she is cute.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(02-11-2011, 10:06 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Scottish babes are shy unless they have whiskey in a jar o, I think? Wink

Welcome to BT, Bellis. We can do 'archaic' (KC Steve) or ... back to the question...
What tools do you already have? Include multi-tools like the Topeak Alien, etc.

Edit: a year old thread? I fell for it but, she is cute.

Ha-ha-ha . . . got what you deserved you "jive turkey" . . . sheeesh 'archaic' huh. Smile

Looks like the guys scared her off last year anyway. I don't suppose you guys figured that "we're" and "our 2 bikes" likely means her and boyfriend/husband did you?

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!