Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Tri-Flow for everything?
I went into my LBS and was looking to get some chain lube. They did have a product marked "chain lube" I forget the brand...the guy told me they use Tri-Flow for everything, except of course where the application calls for grease.

So I bought the 2oz bottle with the little straw. My bike is new, 29 miles now as of today, but my Wife and sons bikes need a good once over. Thanks to the Bicycle Tutor videos and this forum for all the help!!
Rudes,

You could use Tri Flow for everything. Used as a chain lube though would require more frequent re-application and it isn't cheap!
To add to marc's post, yes you can use it for everything, yes it is expensive, BUT a little bit goes a very very long way. I bought my 1st bottle in December is it is 2/3 full still. I work on bikes everyday so hopefully that will say something in itself Smile .

Bill

P.S. Don't lose the straw lol .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I just got some tri-flow and use it for the first time when I install new brake cables on. This stuff is good and a little does go a long way for sure. I will put the BLAME on Alex for me trying this stuff. ROFL Thanks Alex this is good lube for sure. For chain lube I use RockNRoll Gold seems to be good but it cost a lot too.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
And it smells like Bananas... yum Smile

As Marc said, if used on a chain you'll have to re-apply often.
Thanks for all the response.

Applying often I assume would depend on how much the bike is ridden or is it a matter of evaporation or perhaps a combination of the two?

I'm currently riding 5-7 miles a day weather permitting.

Bill, the straw is always a concern and I try to keep it under tight wraps!!!

Alex, I just love the smell!!!!
I'd just recommend using grease on new cables. It'll last a lot longer. But any thin lube like triflow is great for dripping a little lube into the cables without taking everything apart.
I knew it had a smell of something I like lol.
The cost is not that bad when you think about it. Use just a little last you a long time too.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
You can even use it on suspension forks and shocks, just to get the dust seals lubed.
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
It can be used also for rust removal too like this Big Grin ....
http://bikeride.com/rust-removal/

Yes I was going to comment a while back on the Bananna smell, one of the pleasantries a Bike Mech can boast about Wink.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Bananas...Yum....Artificial banana smell...Yuk...I'd rather smell the sweet concoction of bar and chain oil...
Dedicated scholar of bicycles