Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Cleaning bike
Help... I have a 1965 Violet Schwinn Varsity 10–speed. All the original equipment. It is in very bad shape. It has been in my garage gathering dust, dirt, grim and rust. I am thinking of trying to restore it... project for the winter. The first thing I want to do is to clean the frame but I want to be careful and not hurt the paint job or decals. Any suggestions on how I should do this?

Good luck on the project... that's a classic ride!

Get a rag wet using a bucket of warm water. If there are really greasy spots to clean try using a degreaser.

Here's a <a href="http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=408701">discussion on bikeforums</a> that has many other suggestions.
After you wash and degrease it I have had awesome results using a polishing compound by hand with
good cotton towels. polishing compounds are the finest grade of rubbing compounds. buy at autopart
stores. you will love it. make sure it says polishing not rubbing compound
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Clean with 1 part Simple Green to 20 parts warm water. Use straight Dawn dishsoap and a soft toothbrush to remove grease on paint or decals then wash with Simple Green solution.

Polishing compound is great for paint and even chrome, but be careful over decals, it can damage plastics. There are plastic buffing compounds that you can use on a soft cloth to clean the surface of decals.
Many people have a Leaf blower, they blow dry bicycles, motorcycles quite nicely.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
My bike cleaning consists of Meguiars or TurtleWax products.

Spray Detailer, Spray Wax, Kerosene, Maxima Chain Wax.

I usually clean my bike once per week. Use the spray detailer, and a microfiber cloth to clean the bike, then use the spray wax and microfiber cloth to wax/buff it.
Bikes are my true passion. It's so pitying that it is too cold outside now to ride on it. I am going to buy a car soon, still for the summer, I prefer bikes.
(11-20-2008, 05:36 PM)Bacnine Wrote:  Help... I have a 1965 Violet Schwinn Varsity 10–speed. All the original equipment. It is in very bad shape. It has been in my garage gathering dust, dirt, grim and rust. I am thinking of trying to restore it... project for the winter. The first thing I want to do is to clean the frame but I want to be careful and not hurt the paint job or decals. Any suggestions on how I should do this?

I spray with water and use a car tire cleaning brush to get into tight spots. Towel dry what I can then allow it to air dry the rest of the way. Oil the chain afterwards.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Last Post: JohnV