Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rear wheel drag
my rear wheel is dragging as if the brake is being applied even when it's not. It's especially noticeable when coasting downhill. I've tried adjusting the brake and notice that even with brake removed it still drags. After a long ride there is a slight rubbing noise when I spin the wheel and listen closely. I suspect its something inside the hub, but then the bike is brand new. any ideas would be helpful. I'm a long way from the nearest shop.thanks.
(05-28-2010, 05:48 AM)mzeno Wrote:  my rear wheel is dragging as if the brake is being applied even when it's not. It's especially noticable when coasting downhill. I've tried adjusting the brake and notice that even with brake removed it still drags. After a long ride there is a slight rubbing noise when I spin the wheel and listen closely. I suspect its something inside the hub, but then the bike is brand new. any ideas would be helpful. I'm a long way from the nearest shop.thanks.

Hello mzeno,
Is there any possible way to take a picture of the rear hub and upload it here? Granted you said you were a long way from the shop, but if it is new and the problem is indeed inside you should be able to get a replacement bike. Again if you can upload a picture it would help.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
here it is. If it is internal, is it possible to repair or replace wheel? rest of bike is ok. can I just take the wheel itself to the shop for diagnosis and repair? thanks.
Ok you said it "drags" which could possibly mean that the cones for the bearings are too tight. You have disc brakes,very nice, which could also be misaligned?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
How to determine which? I've tried adjusting the brake and even removed while spinning tire, which didn't seem to make any difference. So I'm 80% certain its not the brake. do I have to take the whole bike to the shop or can I just take the wheel?
If it's definitely not in the brake then it's probably a bearing issue. But I'd take the whole bike in if possible. Let them have the whole thing to check over since it's new. Is the sound there when you pedal or just coast? Are you sure it's not just the freehub ratchet?
Remove the rear wheel and turn the axle by hand. If there is any drag you will feel it. You could do the same with front and compare the two wheel axles for freeness.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
remove the wheel from the bike and holding the axle nuts each side, give the wheel a flick with your thumb, it should spin freely for 'several' revs before coming slowly to a stop with the valve stem at the bottom, if it feels tight then the locknuts and cones have been set to tight, a common problem with new hubs on the assumption that they will loosen with wear.
If you do try to adjust them yourself, it is essential that the locknuts and cones are tightly locked together, especially the right side, if not not, they can slowly screw inwards and damage the hub bearing race.
Man I must have been tired this morning! I didn't even finish my post. So sorry mzeno. Makes me happy that everyone else is here.

Again my apologies
Bill
I took out wheel and it doesn't spin normally when holding the axel nuts. definately dragging. Locknuts too tight? Will they loosen with wear or do they need immediate adjustment?Does shop need the whole bike or just the wheel?There is no audible sound while riding, only when I listen closely and only after a long ride. A slight rubbing-squeaking sort of sound.
You should definitely get them adjusted asap. It will wreck your bearings to ride it too tight for very long. If that's all it is, you just need to take in your wheel. But it's a little weird that it changes as you ride longer. I'm not 100% convinced that is the problem, but if it's a hassle to take the whole bike in, do what you gotta do... Smile
I'll take the wheel to the shop today and hope they can figure it out. thanks for the help everyone!!

Possibly Related Threads...