Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bottom Bracket Bearing Race Removal
Ok here is one that I did not find any information here about. I have my Columbia Dream Machine taken down to the frame only. what I need to know is how to remove the Bottom Bracket Bearing Races. I already know how to remove the headset bearing races but you cannot use the RT-1 one for BB races.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Hey Bill,

Not sure if this one would work, but Park makes a similar tool for bottom brackets:
http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Internal-Bicycle-Bracket/dp/B0035TVUQG/

The other option would be to use a hammer and punch, and carefully tap at the race from the inside. Give it small taps in a circle around the edge of the race until it slowly comes loose.
Ok that looks more like it would do the job. I just didn't wanna hurt the races by using the second method because they are in excellent condition. I have to remove them because I am stripping and repainting the frame. For the first time I did use the RT-1 and WOW those are soo easy and quick to use.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I measured the inner diameter which came out to be 36mm which the BBT-90 only cover 26mm maximum width. So I tool an older seat post and small hammer and tapped lightly on it while holding firmly against the race. Worked like a charm on both sides. I did carefully inspect both races afterwards and no damage. Smile . Now paint removal of the frame (yeah started a thread about that).

Possibly Related Threads...