Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

What do you want to see from BikeRide.com Reviews?
Hey everyone! We are dropping a new review video for the exciting Ride1Up Prodigy XC. It's a really fun bike you should definitely check out, and while your watching the video let me know if you want to see something new!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rF948PhqLg&t=291s

https://www.bikeride.com/ride1up-prodigy/

We are always looking for new ways to update the reviews and would love to hear from the BikeRide.com community about what is important for you when researching a new bike or e-bike? Want to see a specific test or video clip? Let me know what you want to see and we will include them in upcoming reviews!

I hope the content brings you some useful info so you can find your next bike for the right price!
Enjoy the Ride!
Scott
Do you guys review components also? There's a huge demographic for that.

It would be super intuitive to review some of the Chinese branded components from AliExpress too.
There are some people out there reviewing the top of the range, very expensive bikes. I think it is a good idea to review less expensive but decent quality bikes and components, that are at realistic prices for ordinary people.
Another thing that would be useful is, the availability and cost of replacement parts for electric bikes. There are stories on the internet about replacement parts not being available for some electric bikes. With others, the replacement parts can be very expensive.
(03-01-2023, 09:47 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Do you guys review components also? There's a huge demographic for that.

It would be super intuitive to review some of the Chinese branded components from AliExpress too.

This is a great idea, a good idea to review those easily accessible Aliexpress components. It could be very interesting to see how they stack up, maybe some diamonds in the rough?

(03-05-2023, 07:30 AM)ichitan Wrote:  There are some people out there reviewing the top of the range, very expensive bikes. I think it is a good idea to review less expensive but decent quality bikes and components, that are at realistic prices for ordinary people.

Yes, important to look at bikes that are more realistic for people to purchase. Check out the last few reviews if you have not had a chance, we have been able to get a good mix of affordable e-bikes in so far.

As we progress we will move away from e-bikes as well, and get lots of regular bikes into the game. I know an "affordable" e-bike is expensive compared to many traditional bikes so it's not realistic for many people.

Looking to the future we have a large range of bikes from different price ranges so I think we will have something for everyone.

(03-05-2023, 08:41 AM)ichitan Wrote:  Another thing that would be useful is, the availability and cost of replacement parts for electric bikes. There are stories on the internet about replacement parts not being available for some electric bikes. With others, the replacement parts can be very expensive.

Yes! This is very relevant, and you are going to want to watch the review we have coming out in the next couple of weeks. Spoiler alert, we discover a controller issue in a bike we are testing and need to get a replacement part. It reveals some of the issue's people can experience.

A big separator between a good brand and a bad brand, just like you mention, is how well they provide replacement parts and cover warranty claims so this was very interesting.

I will make sure to include info about spare parts and cost in future reviews!
Enjoy the Ride!
Scott
More difficult to do, and maybe not realistic in every situation, it would be good to have information on how well bikes and/or components last with long term use. If that information is available, it would be good to have it.
(03-05-2023, 03:38 PM)ichitan Wrote:  More difficult to do, and maybe not realistic in every situation, it would be good to have information on how well bikes and/or components last with long term use. If that information is available, it would be good to have it.

Great idea, it is tough with so many bikes but this is an important factor. Currently, we select some bikes and keep them aside for long-term testing, we will be updating some of the items as we hit higher milages.

Another spoiler alert for an upcoming episode, we do experience some component issues and after a repair, we are long-term testing the bike to see if it has the same problem again.

It is a challenge though, we aim to put 100+ miles on every bike for an initial test so it takes some time to get up to the high milages on these test bikes. Stay tuned and we will post long-term updates as soon as possible!
Enjoy the Ride!
Scott
(03-05-2023, 07:30 AM)ichitan Wrote:  There are some people out there reviewing the top of the range, very expensive bikes. I think it is a good idea to review less expensive but decent quality bikes and components, that are at realistic prices for ordinary people.

I love this suggestion as many of us are the ordinary folks looking for an affordable quality bike and components. So such reviews would be great.
(03-08-2023, 11:32 PM)GirishH Wrote:  

I love this suggestion as many of us are the ordinary folks looking for an affordable quality bike and components. So such reviews would be great.

I agree, the pricing of bikes and components is a huge factor and TBH I find it very frustrating. I think there is a crazy markup on many bikes and components and it keeps people from being able to get out and enjoy all the benefits the new technology is allowing for. Many people trying to get a full-suspension bike for the first time find it a very challenging hurdle.

We have a good range of E-Bike reviews coming out currently and stay tuned because when we start getting more traditional bikes in we will make sure to bring a good range of options and prices to explore.
Enjoy the Ride!
Scott
You could do reviews on strong bikes for large riders. See if you can find low cost strong bikes.

With all of the reviews, include the maximum recommended weight.

Also bikes for tall riders. With less frame sizes available now, tall riders have less choices.

Some of us buy a bike, and raise the seat and handlebars so we can ride it. Then it is not long before things start breaking. It would be nice to have a bike I can just ride, and have nothing break.

I know you can't do everything in a short time. But you may come across bikes like this.
Review the saddles specifically being equipped as stock components. Are saddles provided with the option of choosing a range or one saddle model for a given bike example? One saddle does not fit all just as one frame size does not fit all.

Provide the country of origin/company of origin pertaining to the manufacture of all components and the frame; i.e. if a bike says "Made in Italy" then I would expect the entire bike (components and frame) to be made in that country. If a bike says made by Trek I expect the entire bike to be made by them not just the frame. Something that a company like Raleigh could say of their bikes at one time since their factory essentially produced all of the components and frame; I think the tires were the only thing made by another company (which they may have oened anyways). If a frame is designed in a country different from where it is fabricated then that should be clearly stated. It seems nowadays that most frames (by many companies) are made in Taiwan by another company, and many are made by the same company but branded as being another company's product. I know this has gone on for decades, but a little transparency would help; e.g. Trek: "designed and built in USA by Trek", "designed and built in Taiwan by Giant for Trek", "designed in USA by Trek, built in Taiwan by Giant for Trek". Any company that has pride in their product and brand, and wants me to spend my money on it should have no problem telling me the specifics without the marketing double talk and brand name usage just to sell their product. As with most multi-part/multi-assembly products be they bikes or dishwashers the consumer should have all the facts clearly stated as to who and where the item was designed by, manufactured by, and had final assembly and quality control testing done by. I do not care of that would take paragraphs to print as long as it is provided truthfully.
A lot of bikes may have the frame made by one company, and use components made by others. For example, some bikes may use a Shimano derailleur.

There are also bike manufacturers that use components that are readily available, and these may change from time to time. So if you buy a certain make and model of bike now, and buy the same make and model of bike in 6 months time, there may be some different components.

Shimano is a Japanese company, with factories in China, Malaysia, Singapore, and other places. It is probably impossible to find out, which factory the components on a certain bike came from.

People doing reviews can provide whatever information is available. But if you want all of the details about everything, it may be necessary to do some research.
(03-11-2023, 09:52 AM)ichitan Wrote:  A lot of bikes may have the frame made by one company, and use components made by others. For example, some bikes may use a Shimano derailleur.

There are also bike manufacturers that use components that are readily available, and these may change from time to time. So if you buy a certain make and model of bike now, and buy the same make and model of bike in 6 months time, there may be some different components.

Shimano is a Japanese company, with factories in China, Malaysia, Singapore, and other places. It is probably impossible to find out, which factory the components on a certain bike came from.

People doing reviews can provide whatever information is available. But if you want all of the details about everything, it may be necessary to do some research.

Unfortunately, you are telling me nothing new. Manufacturers can easily obtain information of the source country and factory for their parts. Everything is coded by lots to keep track of quality control. It is the resposibility of a company to be honest and open about where everything is made. How do you think they do recalls on faulty parts. There is no need to recall all parts even if it is the same model used on different equipment only the bad lot is recalled from a specific factory made during a specific time period. Please understand that these companies know where their parts are coming from, but the comsumer does not, and that is the issue. Perhaps I have an ideological issue with a particular country and I do not wish to support its economy. It stands to reason that I should be able to avoid providing support for that country or any company that does business with them. Again, all parts can be traced to their source, but manufacturers are not providing the consumer with that information. They could easily cover all bases and state that the parts might be sourced from multiple countries and companies by listing them all. Quite simple and without extra cost. Sorry you think the consumer needs to do extra work when a company already should be doing it. I guess if you sold something I would avoid purchasing it because you would not provide that information which you would either already know or would be able to readily obtain as the commercial buyer.
In my country there are warnings on food that it may have been produced/processed on equipment that could have been used for other food processing. I do not need to contact the company first and ask them if it was since the information is provided by them knowingly, and it allows me to make a decision on whether I want to purchase their product or not. Even if they have multiple processing plants their product is traceable to its source.
I will stop commenting here. It has not helped anyways since I expect the individual who started this thread to respond in kind as to their ability to provide the information in their reviews. If you want to make reviews of a product without that information being provided than so be it. You as a reviewer are supposed to provide what any reasonable and honest company can to do to disclose information to its potential customers. Nothing impossible or difficult for a company or someone who wants to provide indepth reviews can do as part of their job.
(03-01-2023, 09:47 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Do you guys review components also? There's a huge demographic for that.

Good idea. There's a ton of stuff coming from China. Some of it must be good. After all, there are plenty of serious cyclists in China.
(03-11-2023, 08:33 AM)Sybian Wrote:  Review the saddles specifically being equipped as stock components. Are saddles provided with the option of choosing a range or one saddle model for a given bike example? One saddle does not fit all just as one frame size does not fit all.

Provide the country of origin/company of origin pertaining to the manufacture of all components and the frame; i.e. if a bike says "Made in Italy" then I would expect the entire bike (components and frame) to be made in that country. If a bike says made by Trek I expect the entire bike to be made by them not just the frame. Something that a company like Raleigh could say of their bikes at one time since their factory essentially produced all of the components and frame; I think the tires were the only thing made by another company (which they may have oened anyways). If a frame is designed in a country different from where it is fabricated then that should be clearly stated. It seems nowadays that most frames (by many companies) are made in Taiwan by another company, and many are made by the same company but branded as being another company's product. I know this has gone on for decades, but a little transparency would help; e.g. Trek: "designed and built in USA by Trek", "designed and built in Taiwan by Giant for Trek", "designed in USA by Trek, built in Taiwan by Giant for Trek". Any company that has pride in their product and brand, and wants me to spend my money on it should have no problem telling me the specifics without the marketing double talk and brand name usage just to sell their product. As with most multi-part/multi-assembly products be they bikes or dishwashers the consumer should have all the facts clearly stated as to who and where the item was designed by, manufactured by, and had final assembly and quality control testing done by. I do not care of that would take paragraphs to print as long as it is provided truthfully.

Interesting concepts here! I do review all the contact points on bikes including the seats and its good because some are just awful! I have never personally seen a bike with saddle options, it is often such a personal choice option most brands will simply assume the consumer will swap the seat and choose one based on cost or design.

Country of origin is another interesting one, it's very hard now as design and manufacturing happen in different places, all items such as the frame will have an origin, but often its honestly unimportant. More important is the track record and quality control of the company. They could manufacture in several different countries so long as standards are high you will never notice a difference.

Having a single brand create every component is a challenge as well, so much technology goes into these items it would be almost impossible! Brands like Shimano, Sram or Suntour have been around for a long time, and are amazing at the products they produce. You know when you get a specific component from Shimano how it will perform, and there is no need for Trek to try to compete with them to create the same item.

By using components from different well-established brands it lets all the technology progress at the same time forward, no need to reinvent the wheel. Different brands all work towards different goals and we get this amazing eco system of components and frames that you can mix and match and swap. I mean look at mullet setups! Who would have though of that one.

I agree with you about transparency though, but more so about the quality level and design rather than where it is made. I also think we pay a premium for many products that are excessive, and quality is sometimes forgotten quickly.

If you look in our reviews you will see I have broken down each component for you in the "spec:" section. This should give you all the info you need to find out the specifics of the bike. If something is missing please leave me a comment on the video, or here and I will gett the info for you!

(03-11-2023, 11:49 AM)Sybian Wrote:  
(03-11-2023, 09:52 AM)ichitan Wrote:  A lot of bikes may have the frame made by one company, and use components made by others. For example, some bikes may use a Shimano derailleur.

Unfortunately, you are telling me nothing new. Manufacturers can easily obtain information of the source country and factory for their parts. Everything is coded by lots to keep track of quality control. It is the resposibility of a company to be honest and open about where everything is made. How do you think they do recalls on faulty parts. There is no need to recall all parts even if it is the same model used on different equipment only the bad lot is recalled from a specific factory made during a specific time period. Please understand that these companies know where their parts are coming from, but the comsumer does not, and that is the issue. Perhaps I have an ideological issue with a particular country and I do not wish to support its economy. It stands to reason that I should be able to avoid providing support for that country or any company that does business with them. Again, all parts can be traced to their source, but manufacturers are not providing the consumer with that information. They could easily cover all bases and state that the parts might be sourced from multiple countries and companies by listing them all. Quite simple and without extra cost. Sorry you think the consumer needs to do extra work when a company already should be doing it. I guess if you sold something I would avoid purchasing it because you would not provide that information which you would either already know or would be able to readily obtain as the commercial buyer.
In my country there are warnings on food that it may have been produced/processed on equipment that could have been used for other food processing. I do not need to contact the company first and ask them if it was since the information is provided by them knowingly, and it allows me to make a decision on whether I want to purchase their product or not. Even if they have multiple processing plants their product is traceable to its source. I will stop commenting here. It has not helped anyways since I expect the individual who started this thread to respond in kind as to their ability to do what any reasonable and honest company can to do to provide information to its potential customers. Nothing impossible or difficult for a company to do.

In my country there are warnings on food that it may have been produced/processed on equipment that could have been used for other food processing. I do not need to contact the company first and ask them if it was since the information is provided by them knowingly, and it allows me to make a decision on whether I want to purchase their product or not. Even if they have multiple processing plants their product is traceable to its source.
I will stop commenting here. It has not helped anyways since I expect the individual who started this thread to respond in kind as to their ability to provide the information in their reviews. If you want to make reviews of a product without that information being provided than so be it. You as a reviewer are supposed to provide what any reasonable and honest company can to do to disclose information to its potential customers. Nothing impossible or difficult for a company or someone who wants to provide indepth reviews can do as part of their job.

I am just trying to figure out what you would like to know! If you look at the written review for each bike I have a complete list of all components, I do a lot of research to bring you specific part numbers and items. When a part is generic such as "Shimano Alivio" I do not give a part number or origin.

Shimano has plenty of info available on the performance, production, and origin of the component group and its performance is known. It's not so important where it comes from, but how it works overall in the system.

For expensive bikes where the parts are very specific and performance is indicated by a slight change I get very specific.

Do you have any questions you would like me to answer for you about the bikes currently being reviewed? If something is missing, or you would like to know something about one of the bikes let me know Big Grin I value all comments here and hope everyone will continue in the conversation!

[Image: IMG_35111376.jpg]

Here is a sneak peek into some of the bikes we have for testing right now!

(03-10-2023, 04:44 PM)ichitan Wrote:  You could do reviews on strong bikes for large riders. See if you can find low cost strong bikes.

With all of the reviews, include the maximum recommended weight.

Also bikes for tall riders. With less frame sizes available now, tall riders have less choices.

Some of us buy a bike, and raise the seat and handlebars so we can ride it. Then it is not long before things start breaking. It would be nice to have a bike I can just ride, and have nothing break.

I know you can't do everything in a short time. But you may come across bikes like this.

I've actually just had to call out a bike for this in my most recent review (unreleased) They state the bike will fit a rider 5'8" to 6'10" but I barely fit at 6'! The bike seat would not extend far enough to reach a good position.

I do add the max rider weight to all bikes in the "specs" section of the written review, but I wonder sometimes if this gets missed by people. Maybe I should state this info in the video review as well?

(03-11-2023, 01:36 PM)enkei Wrote:  

It would be super intuitive to review some of the Chinese-branded components from AliExpress too.

Good idea. There's a ton of stuff coming from China. Some of it must be good. After all, there are plenty of serious cyclists in China.

Yes there definitely is, I think Chinese products can get a bad name. Like everywhere it is about quality control and product design more than origin!

I have recently had some good experiences with some unbranded Chinese hydraulic disk brakes which showed good results on par with larger name brands.
Enjoy the Ride!
Scott
I think fat tire bikes are a passing fad. When people realize they go slower when peddling, reduce the range when used on electric bikes, and get more punctures, there will be a big decrease in their sales.

I suggest give priority to reviews on ordinary bikes, not fat bikes.

https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-8316.html
(03-15-2023, 07:57 AM)ichitan Wrote:  I think fat tire bikes are a passing fad. When people realize they go slower when peddling, reduce the range when used on electric bikes, and get more punctures, there will be a big decrease in their sales.

I suggest give priority to reviews on ordinary bikes, not fat bikes.

https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-8316.html

Yes, I think you are 100%, fat tires are a huge craze right now, especially in the e-bike scene. It's honestly hard to escape them it seems. I agree with you that they have a lot of downsides, and people don't seem to realize the positive benefits require you to be careful about tire pressure and have a good knowledge of the terrain you intend to ride and its requirements.

I find it refreshing being on a bike with a standard-sized tire, While I appreciate my 2.5" enduro tires I still feel the rolling resistance.

We will try to bring a good mix, it has been a challenge though as I would say more then 50% of the brands want to send in fat tire bikes for testing, it's almost endless and can get repetitious.
Enjoy the Ride!
Scott
Some items I would especially recommend are the disc brake calipers; cranksets, chainrings, headsets.

I've used the Jiankun iFX crankset for some time now and I have to say it's pretty good for the price. I was able to score an oil slicked one for 50 bucks. The plating is excellent quality and held up for two years before beginning to show wear and peeling. One of the caveats is the crankarm bolts stripping out. I might be able to blame myself on this one since I torqued them down to 16nM. Another one for sure is that they don't have any safety plates like Shimano Hollowtech II have. If you don't get a metal crankscrew, the crankarm will definitely come off on you even despite proper torque for the non-drive crankarm. Remember I torqued mine to 16nM and still had it come off on me twice (once using the plastic crankscrew and another when the metal one fell out and I didn't realize).
(03-01-2023, 03:11 PM)BRScott Wrote:  Hey everyone! We are dropping a new review video for the exciting Ride1Up Prodigy XC. It's a really fun bike you should definitely check out, and while your watching the video let me know if you want to see something new!

We are always looking for new ways to update the reviews and would love to hear from the BikeRide.com community about what is important for you when researching a new bike or e-bike? Want to see a specific test or video clip? Let me know what you want to see and we will include them in upcoming reviews!

I hope the content brings you some useful info so you can find your next bike for the right price!

I have watched many of your review videos in order to help me choose an ebike that is right for me. One thing that is generally lacking (except in the case of Aventon reviews mentioning the availability of sizes in frames to fit) is useful information on both geometry of the bikes in terms of how well they fit riders outside the average size, especially those on the short side, and weight of the bikes which also affects the rideability by smaller and/or older riders. The existence of frame size choices is obvious on websites; it is the models that come in one size per style that leaves the consumer who cannot go to a shop to "try them on", with insecurity about a bike "fitting" them, both in dimensions and weight. I already know that bikes can be "dialed in" by adjusting handlebars, risers, etc., I used to own a bike shop and do that for customers, but geometry matters! A frame that is just too big (or too small) is just not going to be comfortable or safe.
Thanks for your reviews; it is what brought me here!
(10-19-2023, 12:07 PM)Burrobabe Wrote:  
(03-01-2023, 03:11 PM)BRScott Wrote:  Hey everyone! We are dropping a new review video for the exciting Ride1Up Prodigy XC. It's a really fun bike you should definitely check out, and while your watching the video let me know if you want to see something new!

I have watched many of your review videos in order to help me choose an ebike that is right for me. One thing that is generally lacking (except in the case of Aventon reviews mentioning the availability of sizes in frames to fit) is useful information on both geometry of the bikes in terms of how well they fit riders outside the average size, especially those on the short side, and weight of the bikes which also affects the rideability by smaller and/or older riders. The existence of frame size choices is obvious on websites; it is the models that come in one size per style that leaves the consumer who cannot go to a shop to "try them on", with insecurity about a bike "fitting" them, both in dimensions and weight. I already know that bikes can be "dialed in" by adjusting handlebars, risers, etc., I used to own a bike shop and do that for customers, but geometry matters! A frame that is just too big (or too small) is just not going to be comfortable or safe.
Thanks for your reviews; it is what brought me here!

Thanks for your support! I am very happy to hear you have watched and gained value from the reviews and that they have been helpful.

Great comment on more info, specifically about the frame size and geometry. We are seeing a lot of e-bikes come in this "one size fits all" frame setup, and it's pretty alien for anyone coming out of the bike world because the small differences matter! It would be unheard of for a standard bike to come in a single size unless it's a BMX or youth bike.

I think it would be a great addition to the reviews to include reach and standover height measurements for each bike as we talk about the frame and how it affects riders. As I write this, it feels silly I have not included it before! So keep your eyes open for upcoming reviews; we will dive deeper into the frame and geometry.
Enjoy the Ride!
Scott

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post