Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Vinyl cover Unraveling on Gear Cable

As the photo shows, cable is exposed. Is there an easy fix?
Buy a new housing set, or go to your local bike shop and have them measure and cut a housing piece to replace it.

If you buy the housing/cable replacements, they are about $16 bucks USD, and you'll have to measure and cut yourself.
Thanks so much. I have no clue on doing it myself, so to a shop I’ll be going.
(08-21-2022, 06:46 PM)MassWineGuy Wrote:  As the photo shows, cable is exposed. Is there an easy fix?

If one is going bad chances are the others will be in like condition shortly. Best to change them all at one time.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(08-21-2022, 06:46 PM)MassWineGuy Wrote:  cable is exposed. Is there an easy fix?

I have a brake cable where the plastic outer is gone on a section of it. It still works well, so I am not in a hurry to fix it. Just leaving it is an option if it still works well, and you are not concerned about your bike having to look really good. Of course, if it does not work well, replace it.
(08-27-2022, 03:35 AM)ichitan Wrote:  
(08-21-2022, 06:46 PM)MassWineGuy Wrote:  cable is exposed. Is there an easy fix?

I have a brake cable where the plastic outer is gone on a section of it. It still works well, so I am not in a hurry to fix it. Just leaving it is an option if it still works well, and you are not concerned about your bike having to look really good. Of course, if it does not work well, replace it.

If it is an internally unlined housing then it can permit the entry of dirt and moisture which is bad for the cable and can cause functional problems aside from aesthetics.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(08-27-2022, 07:28 AM)Jesper Wrote:  If is an internally unlined housing then it can permit the entry of dirt and moisture which is bad for the cable and can cause functional problems aside from aesthetics.

I am not disagreeing. However, if and when functional problems do occur, the cable can be replaced. It may be years before it needs to be replaced.

The same type of problems can occur in a cable that looks like it is in good condition.

With some other bike parts, finances might be an issue. Brake cables are so cheap, cost is not a problem. It is just a case of, there is no need to replace it while it is working properly.

Possibly Related Threads...