Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Roadbike noise drivetrain when putting pressure on pedals.
Long story short. I have a road bike that suddenly makes noise when I put pressure on the pedals. Doesn't matter if I sit or stand or if I keep my hand on the wheel or not. It's there. And become worse when more pressure is applied.

Man I tried everything from front to back.
I greased the front wheel plus the quick release.
The fork bearings I maintanced a month ago. but did it just for sake of
I undid all the screw reapplied grease on the drive train.
I removed the shimanopedals regreased the threads.
I removed the arms and applied greased.
Eventually replaced the entire bottom bracket.
I regreased my seatpost.

Im probably forgetting more things I did. But basically all in this video I have done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEiIFbIklJg

and Still the creaking is there. It's a pain in the ass. and mentally very straining because it's so unbearable that I can't really ride my bike without people looking at me. and me noticing it even through my headset.

I'm riding a bianchi from 2008. its a aluminium frame. with an ultegra 6600 groupset. I replaced the cassette a month ago.
What kind of seat do you have?

If you have one with seat guts, the seat guts might be loose and need tightened.

When replacing the BB, consider using thread tape instead of other methods to help seal it.

Otherwise, I would suggest the BB shell could be warped.
(05-30-2021, 03:12 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  seat guts
Im not sure if it has anything do to with the seat, it also happens when I stand. But I will look into it.

And I used grease for the bb bracket. But thread tape might be an option. Ill try that. thanks
So I tried to reclean and regrease the entire drivetrain and bottom bracket. the sound is still there.

its a creaking cracking sound when I put pressure on the pedal. It gets worse when I shifter into a harder gear...

I'm going to the bike store tomorrow.
(05-30-2021, 03:33 PM)demdor Wrote:  
Im not sure if it has anything do to with the seat, it also happens when I stand. But I will look into it.

And I used grease for the bb bracket. But thread tape might be an option. Ill try that. thanks

Bottom Bracket needs to be tightened to spec (it's like 40nm). The sealed ones will definitely creak if not.

The cup BB's just begin to creak regardless.
(06-01-2021, 10:16 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  
(05-30-2021, 03:33 PM)demdor Wrote:  

Bottom Bracket needs to be tightened to spec (it's like 40nm). The sealed ones will definitely creak if not.

The cup BB's just begin to creak regardless.

Yooo i went to the bike store. and the dude was its your rear wheels body. ( he wasn't very social)

I left my bike with him. And he called me a few hours later to verify again that it was my rear wheels body. So I bought a shimano 105 rear wheel.
and guess what .... Its FIXED! Thanks for all the help .
It was the freehub body, or it was the hub itself?

I've never heard of the freehub body creaking. It was loose?

Anyways, you only needed to buy a new freehub body then, you didn't need to buy a whole new wheel.
(06-04-2021, 12:17 AM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  It was the freehub body, or it was the hub itself?

I've never heard of the freehub body creaking. It was loose?

Anyways, you only needed to buy a new freehub body then, you didn't need to buy a whole new wheel.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a new body anymore for this type. And the wheel was dented anyway (it's from 2008) so I replaced it with a Shimano 105 wheel. It's a bit heavier but I am going to buy a new bike in a few months anyway so I didn't wanna invest in tubeless or more aero.
(05-30-2021, 11:56 AM)demdor Wrote:  Long story short. I have a road bike that suddenly makes noise when I put pressure on the pedals. Doesn't matter if I sit or stand or if I keep my hand on the wheel or not. It's there. And become worse when more pressure is applied.

Eventually replaced the entire bottom bracket.

Have you resolved this problem?
Have any of your efforts caused any change(s) related to the problem?
Did the noise change, go away and return, etc.?
Have you had the bike from brand new?
Has it ever been in accident?

I would immediately and closely inspect the frame, especially at the conjunctions/welds. A cracked frame will creak depending on the extent and location of the crack.

Your problem sounds like a loose/ill-fit BB (if no frame cracks); but if you have just replaced it, I would assume it was properly installed. Is it a threaded or pressed fit BB (photo of BB would help)?

Edit: Sorry for late response; the thread was not fully loading giving the full comments already posted. I have not heard of a creaky Freehub before. Do you know the cause?
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...